Meier Audio Quickstep (also Stepdance and 2Stepdance) Discussion and Impressions Thread
Feb 24, 2011 at 2:58 AM Post #976 of 3,070
Hah! The proof that you are the true Resident experimenter stepdancious batterious extrodinaire is that you have found a Stepdance mod that actually reduces battery life in pursuit of sound perfection. We shall build a statue.  
biggrin.gif

Feb 24, 2011 at 8:20 AM Post #977 of 3,070

Quote:
I've had the Stepdance for a while now, and have been listening using the SM3, Denon D2000, and Beyer DT800/600.

While they all benefit from the Stepdance over older amps like the Predator or D10, the Denons really shine.  Their bass is more liquid, and I think the Stepdance overcomes the recessed mids problem the Denons have with many amps.  That said, for acoustic or classical music I still prefer the DT880/600.

I'm on the LCD-2 waitlist, so that'll be a good addition to the mix.

So far I have been using it only with the iMod, although I have the μDAC-2 and HDP and will try them as sources.

zilch0md,

That is really fantastic what you've done with portable batteries.  I like the idea of a huge mAh battery for home use too.  Actually, a diy voltage regulated circuit with additional buffer capacitance might go with a large battery like that quite well, although that's a bit more involved, especially if you want it to look polished and professional with a metal housing.  I'll have to keep RC batteries in mind in the future . . .

What kind of bag is that in your pictures?  I've seen a bunch of camera bags that would fit for transporting it, but few will accommodate the iMod and ALO cable.

Totally agree with you regarding the Denons, I have the D5000s and on the low gain setting they sound sublime through the imod, I have to run the high gain setting through my orthos though and the detail and soundstage is far weaker.
The Senn 650s sound damn sweet as do my Grados, but it is the Denons on the low gain setting that really excell, in fact the sonic quality exceeds that of my high cost tube amp, only with the Denons and only on the low gain setting, the depth and detail is staggering.  

Feb 24, 2011 at 8:46 AM Post #979 of 3,070
Hi, Fostex T50RP, average out of the box but sensational when modified, they have gained a cult status on here, they do take some driving though, I cannot imagine the Audeze working well with the stepdance.
That being said the Fostex are fine on the high gain setting but not as effective as when I run them through my tube amps. 

Feb 24, 2011 at 9:17 AM Post #980 of 3,070
Quote:
Hi, Fostex T50RP, average out of the box but sensational when modified, they have gained a cult status on here, they do take some driving though, I cannot imagine the Audeze working well with the stepdance.
That being said the Fostex are fine on the high gain setting but not as effective as when I run them through my tube amps. 

Thanks for the reply. Yes The Fostex are well regarded. (Thunderpants when wooded, I believe.) I ask because I am about to undergo a radical mod that will eliminate the Stepdance high gain. It won't be for everyone and I just want to know which headphones will no longer be supported. Cheers!

Feb 24, 2011 at 1:32 PM Post #981 of 3,070

Thanks!

Quote:
Hah! The proof that you are the true Resident experimenter stepdancious batterious extrodinaire is that you have found a Stepdance mod that actually reduces battery life in pursuit of sound perfection. We shall build a statue.  
biggrin.gif

You've got me there! 
biggrin.gif
  The whole charging process has become a ritualistic obcession - anything to optimize the SQ...

Mike

Feb 24, 2011 at 1:38 PM Post #983 of 3,070

Axcelon had to PM me to get my attention regarding this question, posted a while ago:

Quote:

[snip] 

zilch0md,

[snip]

What kind of bag is that in your pictures?  I've seen a bunch of camera bags that would fit for transporting it, but few will accommodate the iMod and ALO cable.

I've just responded to his PM, but for the benefit of others, it's a Case Logic TBC-304 Camera Case.

I found it at my local WalMart.

Pics:  http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/439019/pictures-of-your-portable-rig-part-xiv/2310#post_7250861

Mike

Feb 24, 2011 at 7:44 PM Post #984 of 3,070
I've read the first 35 and the last 10 pages of this thread, but I'm ashamed to say the majority of what's been said goes over my head, and the rest goes way way over. 

Basically, I'm looking for an amp for my HD595's and might eventually go HD650's or another of similar expense and quality eventually. 

I'd want the amp for mobile listening as well as from my MacBook, but the battery life concerns me. 

Few questions... 

A.) Will this specific amp do okay being driven from line-out on my 2 year old MB?

B.) I see mostly talk of battery life, no idea how any of that works with different batteries and building these contraptions. I know some people posted some rechargable ones that last 5 hours each. Any better remedies than that? Any way to just plug it into a wall without these custom built battery kit-things. 

C.) What's better, line-out from my iPhone 3Gs or to plug it in via the connector at the bottom? 

Also, does the $370 listed on the site for the U.S. include shipping?

Feb 24, 2011 at 8:15 PM Post #985 of 3,070
The connector at the bottom IS line out. The 3.5mm jack is 'headphone out.'

Yes, it includes shipping. You just gotta pay that and Jan will take care of the rest.
Quote:

C.) What's better, line-out from my iPhone 3Gs or to plug it in via the connector at the bottom? 

Feb 24, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #986 of 3,070
Feb 24, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #987 of 3,070

Quote:
I've read the first 35 and the last 10 pages of this thread, but I'm ashamed to say the majority of what's been said goes over my head, and the rest goes way way over. 

Basically, I'm looking for an amp for my HD595's and might eventually go HD650's or another of similar expense and quality eventually. 

I'd want the amp for mobile listening as well as from my MacBook, but the battery life concerns me. 

Few questions... 

A.) Will this specific amp do okay being driven from line-out on my 2 year old MB?

B.) I see mostly talk of battery life, no idea how any of that works with different batteries and building these contraptions. I know some people posted some rechargable ones that last 5 hours each. Any better remedies than that? Any way to just plug it into a wall without these custom built battery kit-things. 

I have not heard the Stepdance with those Senheissers but I regard the 650 as of the same genre as my Beyers - a high impedance headphone that the Stepdance is ideally suited to drive as portable amps go. It should be a good combination. The Stepdance will sound better from the iPhone line out (i.e. the connector at the bottom) using an LOD than from the headphone out. I get somewhere in the 10-12 hours range from cheap alkaline batteries.

Feb 25, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #988 of 3,070
The $370 includes shipping worldwide, makes the amp even more of a bargain!

Feb 25, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #989 of 3,070

Hi Vader815!

I'm at least partially responsible for all the battery bloat in this thread, so please forgive me as I bloat the thread some more... 

But I'll keep it simple. 

Despite all the talk of higher-voltage solutions, I'm comfortable with predicting that will be pleased powering the Stepdance with the internal batteries I still use on occasion:

If you get the Stepdance, I'm suggesting you buy at least two of these:   http://www.batteryjunction.com/ipowerus-9v-520.html

and one of these:  http://www.batteryjunction.com/ipowerus-9v-charger.html

Thanks,

Mike

Quote:
[snip]

[snip] 

Feb 25, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #990 of 3,070
Mike, I for one am glad you "bloated" the thread with battery news! The amp is so perfect that all we are left with is power solutions to allow the amp to shine even more and you have been invaluable in getting to the bottom of it!

In fact I would offer that the perfect high power solution that still keeps things sensible cost wise is to not go for mains power but for the solutions yourself and others have provided vis a vis high power external battery power. Something the home Audiophiles have been playing around with for years to lessen the dreaded "mains Grain" that can inflict high quality equipment that is so refined as to hear said grain!

I am so hoping that my XP8000 will be with me tomorrow!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back