Meier Audio Quickstep (also Stepdance and 2Stepdance) Discussion and Impressions Thread
Oct 17, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #302 of 3,070

Quote:
Does the knob turn smoothly, or are there 31 steps with a slight click each?

The volume knob is utterly smooth to turn, just like any conventional volume control. The actual volume increase is also smooth when turning the knob (i.e. I cannot disern any set jumps in volume).

Oct 17, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #303 of 3,070
Actually you can hear a very faint click-sound,at least at the higher volumes.But you can only hear them in very very quiet parts of the music and it´s not bothering me at all.And I think the steps are just right.Even with the Shures there is no problem.You will not end up wishing there would be additional steps in between.
I have a little problem,when using a power suply.With the battery the Stepdance is dead silent,even when the volume is turned up all the way,but with the power supply it isn´t!And if touch the case of the Stepdance with a finger then the hum is getting louder.Maybe if someone knows why this happens... ?
I use a regulated power supply with 6-15V and I have set it to 15V.
Thanks for any advice on this!

Oct 17, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #304 of 3,070
It sounds like you are using a switching-type regulated power supply that has a noisy DC output-which could cause the humming sound. You might want to try to find a linear-regulated power supply or a better quality switching power supply than the one you have with a fixed output.

--Eric

Oct 17, 2010 at 8:17 PM Post #305 of 3,070
looks like some grounding problem, in the adapter / socket most likely... especially with that finger touching hum being quite typical  

Oct 18, 2010 at 11:15 AM Post #306 of 3,070
Absolutely incredible!

I remember the first time I used my old SR80s.  I heard things I’d never head before—out of an uninteresting PCDP.  Then, when I got my se530s, again—things I’d never heard before were suddenly there.  Then the Predator, and the D10.

But yesterday and today are different.

Yesterday I got (all in one day) the NuForce Icon uDAC2, HDP, EarSonics SM3, and the RE0 (this last one was to see how good it really is and if I want to give pairs as gifts).

That was quite a day—but today arrived the StepDance.

At first the sound (iMod 5.5G 80GB à ALO SXC 18G Cryo iMod cable à StepDance à SM3) coming from the SM3 sounded almost too soft.  They sounded that way yesterday right out of the box with everything—the Predator, the uDAC, the HDP.

Even with that softness, I heard things I’ve never heard before.  You know how vocal tracks in reggae get dubbed in and out, and sometimes they seem to go away completely at times when it sounds like they actually kept singing?  I heard the vocals fade to a bare whisper—and then pan from right to center.  The track  was “By The Rivers of Babylon” by the Melodians.

I could not believe how—even with that pre-break-in softness in the SM3—much detail I could hear.

That level of detail is clearly the StepDance.

I will have to wait before giving more detailed info comparing it to the rest of my gear.

But I will say my first impression of the StepDance straight out of the box is that it is stunning—perfectly dark, wide soundstage, clearly rendered images and instrument separation, smooth and neutral throughout the frequency range.

It's a truly engaging indescribable experience listing to this setup (iMod/StepDance/SM3)--now after only an hour and a half of break in it is smoother and more liquid still!

Oct 18, 2010 at 11:21 AM Post #307 of 3,070
Lorentz,

It sounds like you have a ripple current coming through your power supply. You could try lowering the voltage to just above where the battery takes over and see if that helps.

Do you have any DIY experience? It is possible to build a simple regulator/pi-filter circuit that will deal with whatever trickle current you are experiencing.

Oct 18, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #308 of 3,070
Thanks again guys for your advices!I switched the power supply to 12V and it is much much better now.I think I could live with it,at least it is easier to burn the amp in with a PSU.But I would really like to have the best possible quality without having to invest in a more expensive power supply.I just bought the one I use right now
frown.gif

I only have basic knowlegde about electronics,I can do easy soldering like I did with my headphone- and interconnect- cables,but I never did anything more complicated,but I think I am a quick learner.So Axcelon,if you could tell me where I can find a plan for building this regulator,I would really appreciate that
smily_headphones1.gif
And what do you think will be the cost for the parts,after purchasing the Stepdance I am quite broke,and although I would like to live by love and good music alone,the month is not over yet and I have to eat
smily_headphones1.gif

@ hotubei: I already thougth this could be a grounding problem,but what can I do about that.By the way,when I touch the case of the X5 the humming sound is gone.But the X5 and the Stepdance do not touch (though they are connected via the interconnect of course)
@ violetta88: thanks to you as well,but as I said,if there is a chance using my existing equipment I would really like that.But what would be a good choice for a linear regulated PSU

Ah,and only a small,but very important update on sound signature of the Stepdance,the harshness in the mids that I experienced is gone,now I think it is capable of reproducing every part of the frequency spectrum equally fantastic!No it is just as relaxing to listen to the Stepdance as it was in the beginning,but with a refined sound.And like I already said,I think this little gem now shines without having to be polished
smily_headphones1.gif
It gives you all the details,and it does so with ease.

Since I am posting here,and I don´t want to start a new thread and I think that my question is easy to answer for you:Now that I have an amp that can drive full-size cans,even those with higher impedances,I wanted to ask if any of you can give me advice on wich headphone I would have to look at when I want a warmer sound-signature then the AKG´s.I love them but they are not perfectly suited for reggae and world-music.I would like to have a lusher sound for that.Ah,and not too expensive please,open headphones are my preference,but maybe that could cause a problem?!

Oct 19, 2010 at 10:31 AM Post #309 of 3,070
The Stepdance is the best portable amp ,I've ever heard and owned so far (no matter if the Liza,fi quest or protector balanced).
It pairs very well with my DX1000,ED8.not so good with HD800(here fiquest performs better).Not enough power to drive my T1.
Out of every source I own (Whipmod with whiplod,Sony D-777 or sony D-25 with alo 18 g),it sounds so damm good.Love it sooo much.
My batterie runs out very fast only 3 hours.It's sometime really annoying.I plan to buy the ALO-RX again because of the size and Battery life.It is the Amp,which really comes close to the Stepdance in SQ and sound signature. 

Oct 19, 2010 at 10:42 AM Post #310 of 3,070
3 hrs sound pretty bad, and unlike other's experience with the amp which is usually around ~8+ hrs..
if you really do only get 3 hours, then I have no idea why you would rate the amp so highly. I don't care how good the SQ is, 3 hours is just plain bad tbh...

dang it, is there no one who has the TTVJ Portable hybrid and stepdance that can give us a comparison?? 

Oct 19, 2010 at 12:34 PM Post #312 of 3,070
I use the GP rechargable NIMH
170 mAh 8.4 V

I always listen a bit lound and set the gain to hi gain  hi current consumption.
hope I can find some better batteries
frown.gif

Oct 19, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #313 of 3,070
out of the pcdp it can run a little longer .I don't know if it is becuase the charger or the batt itself.If the new batt is the same then I have to consider my charger

Oct 19, 2010 at 1:19 PM Post #314 of 3,070
With this Stepdance I think it is only practical that people invest in the new breed of batteries and chargers like these:   

( lithium polymer)    http://www.metaefficient.com/rechargeable-batteries/rechargeable-lithium-batteries-9v.html 

or

a power supply that does not introduce noise into the mix. something on the same principle as the VAC-1 which is an upgrade to the VHP-2 headphone amplifier  [size=small]http://www.ciaudio.com/ [/size]

Either way, feeding the Stepdance power is a costly venture. I don't know of any cheap throw away batteries here in the USA and a cheap wall wart only introduces noise (been there done that)

One good thing is that the Stepdance is a fantastic sounding amp worth the additional investment.

Anyone know of such a power supply that would mate nicely with the Stepdance?  I think it would be nice if it costs less than $200 and made the sound of the Stepdance even better than when using a battery.

Who will be the one to find such an animal?  Dr Meier, could you give us a "specific" recommendation perhaps?

Oct 20, 2010 at 1:50 AM Post #315 of 3,070
I get 10+ hours on low gain/high current with the 520 mAh rechargeable (linked in Woody's post above), but only 4-5 hours with my 9.6V 230 mAh battery and 3-4 with my 200 mAh battery I got from Fry's electronics.  I also have a 600 mAh rechargeable that lasts probably 12+ hours, but is a little lower voltage.  The difference between the 520 and 600 mAh batteries is a minor move of the volume knob and a little time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back