Matrix X-Sabre DAC review and impression thread
Mar 12, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #241 of 1,273
Unquantifiable terms that don't mean anything in the context of D/A conversion. If by analytical you mean accurate (correct) D/A conversion, then I guess yes, it's mostly very analytical. Musical is the third word in "High School Musical".

FWIW, I felt the PWD2 (2.03 firmware and filter 4) was more analog or musical sounding than my Pro-Ject 1Xpression turntable.

Mar 12, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #242 of 1,273
If you're not willing to investigate further than merely "musical," "analytical," and "analog" then you probably shouldn't be trying for a hi-fi DAC tbh.
Quote:
I only wanna know 1 thing..is it musical or anatical?and i dont mean digital sounding...i already know its not harsch sounding...i want a more analog sound..am considering a blue circle 509 dac..or even a headphone amp inside that enclosure..all their products are handmade and from what i know they have one of the most natural sounding components around..so.....
is the matrix natural/analog sounding?i know its excellent in geting al the details out..and i know its a wonderfull dac..

Mar 12, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #243 of 1,273
Quote:
If you're not willing to investigate further than merely "musical," "analytical," and "analog" then you probably shouldn't be trying for a hi-fi DAC

Give him a break. He's a just a hifirookie.
wink_face.gif
Rookie mistake. I say. On the other hand, to each his own. If that's what does it for him....

Mar 12, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #244 of 1,273
Quote:
Unquantifiable terms that don't mean anything in the context of D/A conversion. If by analytical you mean accurate (correct) D/A conversion, then I guess yes, it's mostly very analytical. Musical is the third word in "High School Musical".

As far i heard different da converters there is actually a difference in sound..whether u call it natural, musical or anatical...i want a da converter who shows voices and musical instruments how they are in real life....not how they could have sound like....thats what i call musical..like vinyl..eventhough the recent digital methods are by far more acurate..the analog way gives u that special feeling..and eventhough am looking for a da converter..a good one..i still dont want to loose much of that feeling..thats why i have an oldfashioned tube amp and not a modern ss amp..but ofcourse its personal..
i once owned a matrix mstage..and i loved that sound..so am hoping the x sabre has the same sound/warmth...

Mar 12, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #245 of 1,273
It's exceedingly difficult to distill the performance of a DAC down to just a single word. Terms like musical, analytical, and analog are attempts to do so, but they can never capture all the nuances of a DAC, and therefore can lead to confusion. Your "analog" may be my "overly warm and rolled off". 

Mar 12, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #246 of 1,273
The X-Sabre did sound VERY realistic, made the Schiit Modi, well, Schiity, the Modi had TONS of grain in comparison, and the X-Sabre was gorgeous at rendering vocals and anything of the like. :wink:

Mar 12, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #247 of 1,273
No seriously. I was doing a comparison between my DAC and TT. Was listening and I was like "OMG, this is sooo aggressive and digital sounding", until I looked at the switchbox and realized it was vinyl.

Mar 12, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #248 of 1,273
Quote:
No seriously. I was doing a comparison between my DAC and TT. Was listening and I was like "OMG, this is sooo aggressive and digital sounding", until I looked at the switchbox and realized it was vinyl.

Can we look forward to some comparisons to the PWD like you did for the Matrix Quattro?

Mar 12, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #249 of 1,273
Quote:
As far i heard different da converters there is actually a difference in sound..whether u call it natural, musical or anatical...i want a da converter who shows voices and musical instruments how they are in real life....not how they could have sound like....thats what i call musical..like vinyl..eventhough the recent digital methods are by far more acurate..the analog way gives u that special feeling..and eventhough am looking for a da converter..a good one..i still dont want to loose much of that feeling..thats why i have an oldfashioned tube amp and not a modern ss amp..but ofcourse its personal..
i once owned a matrix mstage..and i loved that sound..so am hoping the x sabre has the same sound/warmth...

oic. Getting in this DAC (thanks to Maxvla) and will be able to do a comparo with a few other DACs. Will let you know if it sounds more like a Buffalo3 or an PCM1704 ladder based DAC like the HM-801. I suspect it will probably lie somewhere in between.

BTW, the terms "natural", "musical", or "real-life", tend to be meaningless without comparative reference to other DACs, and what else is used in the signal chain.

Mar 12, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #251 of 1,273
Having thought about it for a while, the biggest difference in the Gungnir and X-Sabre is that the Gungnir has a tension to the sound that doesn't let you relax properly. The X-Sabre keeps a similar tonal balance, though perhaps very slightly less bright, but feels like a release after listening to the Gungnir. It's so open and clearly detailed by comparison it sounds much more natural.

Mar 12, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #252 of 1,273
Yeah. I will be succinct as usual, but will provide relative comparisons to other DACs of various qualities* (and also indicate equipment used.) Want to avoid the Maxvla vs. Analmorticus disagreements (which really came down to the equipment and parameters used) as much as possible. DACs, and how they render sound, are a very personal thing. I'm certainly up for it as I just did an evaluation of various regulators for the Buffalo3.

* The qualities I care about are as follows - at least this is how I like to categorize things: macro dynamics, microdynamics, gradations of volume levels, plankton (fine detail, ambient cues), soundstage/openness, tonal balance, treble rendering (digititus), edge/attack, precision/control, clarity, blackness, and bass rendering (bloat, extension). I'll rank everything on nice sliders and provide commentary. Hopefully this will allow others to calibrate according to their own preferences, since the commentary will be largely based on my personal opinions.

Mar 12, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #253 of 1,273
Quote:
Having thought about it for a while, the biggest difference in the Gungnir and X-Sabre is that the Gungnir has a tension to the sound that doesn't let you relax properly. The X-Sabre keeps a similar tonal balance, though perhaps very slightly less bright, but feels like a release after listening to the Gungnir. It's so open and clearly detailed by comparison it sounds much more natural.

Good to know. I actually love the tonal balance of the Gungnir - more so than the PWD2 (where it seems to have to constantly mess with the settings/firmware). I've also noted the Gungnir was not as open or expansive sounding, at least when compared to the PWD2.

Mar 12, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #254 of 1,273
popcorn.gif
popcorn.gif
popcorn.gif

Quote:
Yeah. I will be succinct as usual, but will provide relative comparisons to other DACs of various qualities* (and also indicate equipment used.) Want to avoid the Maxvla vs. Analmorticus disagreements (which really came down to the equipment and parameters used) as much as possible. DACs, and how they render sound, are a very personal thing. I'm certainly up for it as I just did an evaluation of various regulators for the Buffalo3.

* The qualities I care about are as follows - at least this is how I like to categorize things: macro dynamics, microdynamics, gradations of volume levels, plankton (fine detail, ambient cues), soundstage/openness, tonal balance, treble rendering (digititus), edge/attack, precision/control, clarity, blackness, and bass rendering (bloat, extension). I'll rank everything on nice sliders and provide commentary. Hopefully this will allow others to calibrate according to their own preferences, since the commentary will be largely based on my personal opinions.

Mar 12, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #255 of 1,273
Want to avoid the Maxvla vs. Analmorticus disagreements (which really came down to the equipment and parameters used) as much as possible.

Mike and I disagreeing? Surely you jest! :p

We'll see if round 2 of sending you guys gear goes any better. The BHA-1 received lukewarm praise. Going to be a tall order for Craig and Jason to get a top end SS amp you guys actually like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back