Matrix X-Sabre DAC review and impression thread
Feb 27, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #106 of 1,273
No, I haven't gone there yet. I'll probably play some from my Auraliti PK90 first, and then later mess with a laptop.

DXD is actually not DSD, but rather a really high res form of PCM. Think of it as a WAV file - there's no compression at all, so as you noticed, the files end up huge. It's normally used for mastering since DSD doesn't lend itself well for the editing stage. So while it can sound excellent, it's not really practical.

Feb 27, 2013 at 1:54 AM Post #107 of 1,273
Yes I figured out I had downloaded the wrong files. Working like a charm now. Got it in Jriver too.

Feb 27, 2013 at 7:59 AM Post #111 of 1,273
ISO-rips are disc images.
You have to extract the dsd-data to dff or dsf files first, but then it is the same as downloadable dsd-files.

Looking forward to more impressions on the sound of this device. I'm considering this X-Sabre or the Auralic Vega as my first DSD-capable DAC.

-
aleg

Feb 27, 2013 at 8:14 AM Post #112 of 1,273
Quote:
ISO-rips are disc images.
You have to extract the dsd-data to dff or dsf files first, but then it is the same as downloadable dsd-files.

Looking forward to more impressions on the sound of this device. I'm considering this X-Sabre or the Auralic Vega as my first DSD-capable DAC.

-
aleg

correct - this has been done via a PS3..

Feb 27, 2013 at 8:19 AM Post #113 of 1,273
Quote:

correct - this has been done via a PS3..

Put them through sacd_extract and you've got the proper stuff ...

Feb 27, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #115 of 1,273
Quote:

Put them through sacd_extract and you've got the proper stuff ...

scarletbook- this is the tool. google it .  

i have a question.

can foobar really stream dsd ?  because i read mytek user, they will use hdplayer to stream REAL dsd. i am doubtful  if foobar already
converted to  pcm . anyone can comment. thank you.

Feb 27, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #116 of 1,273
Quote:

i have a question.

can foobar really stream dsd ?  because i read mytek user, they will use hdplayer to stream REAL dsd. i am doubtful  if foobar already

It's called sacd_extract nowadays found here http://code.google.com/p/sacd-ripper/downloads/list
It's made by the fellow who developed the sacd_ripper for the PS3 so you'll be able to extract the dsd data from the ISO image.

It is a command  line program, so open a command window and enter sacd_extract -h to see all the options.
You'l see this:

Quote:
Usage: sacd_extract.exe [options] [outfile]
  -2, --2ch-tracks                : Export two channel tracks (default)
  -m, --mch-tracks                : Export multi-channel tracks
  -e, --output-dsdiff-em          : output as Philips DSDIFF (Edit Master) file
  -p, --output-dsdiff             : output as Philips DSDIFF file
  -s, --output-dsf                : output as Sony DSF file
  -t, --select-track              : only output selected track(s) (ex. -t 1,5,13)
  -I, --output-iso                : output as RAW ISO
  -c, --convert-dst               : convert DST to DSD
  -C, --export-cue                : Export a CUE Sheet
  -i, --input[=FILE]              : set source and determine if "iso" image,
                                    device or server (ex. -i 192.168.1.10:2002)
  -P, --print                     : display disc and track information
Help options:
  -?, --help                      : Show this help message
  --usage                         : Display brief usage message

Using this document you can see how to setup different software players for DSD playback: http://www.auralic.com/download/dsd_playback_setup.pdf
It will show how to setup Audirvana, PureMusic on Mac and Foobar, JPlay, JRiver and Signalyst HQPlayer on Windows.
Best sounding player is JPlay BTW.

Goodluck and give us some feedback on how it sounds please

-
Aleg

Feb 27, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #117 of 1,273

i have a question.

Yes, Foobar does stream DSD. My X-Sabre lights up DSD when I play one from it. JRiver also streams DSD (and is supported natively).

Feb 28, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #120 of 1,273
I figured it wouldn't play them, but will DSD pop up in iTunes. I'm guessing a plugin will be needed. I run everything through remote and iTunes. Quite nice. Not as built up as the Squeezebox Interface, but not a big deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back