Matrix X-Sabre DAC review and impression thread
Nov 8, 2013 at 5:20 AM Post #707 of 1,273
10% off at www.matrix-digi-usa.com

Coupon Code: headfi10

The discount is for all current products on our website and will expire the end of the year (good till Dec 31).

Nov 8, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #709 of 1,273
I am very sad to say that I returned my X-Sabre (due to previously mentioned problems with whistling noise in left channel when paired with my Svetlana 2). I sent it to audiophonics.fr (I bought from there, very good price and no painful custom checks) for diagnostics 3 weeks ago and they replied yesterday, that as far as they can tell, there is nothing wrong with my unit. I have to admit, that I am very pleased by their approach to my problem, because despite the fact that my unit was fine, they still offered me full refund. I guess X-Sabres inputs were just too hot for sensitive Svetlana. However, I refused refund and asked if it was possible to swap my X-Sabre for one the DA8 - DA8 has lower output voltage, so I hope no problems will arise with it. They said it's fine by them, I paid the price difference and they already shipped DA8. But I am extremely sad to let X-Sabre go, visually It was by far the prettiest looking DAC (at least for me).

Nov 8, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #711 of 1,273
  When you'll receive the DA8 you can tell us your opinion about the Yulong vs. Matrix.
P.S. The DA8 in black looks nice

Curious about this as well as they are very similar designs. In fact on paper at least I would say the Matrix is the superior design.

Nov 9, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #714 of 1,273
As I have not heard both and only the Matrix I can not comment on how they really compare. The Matrix is a rather unique design with great noise isolation and power supply. When I look at pictures of the Yulong I see a lot of things that could introduce noise like the onboard amp and the LCD.

However you can't really go by pictures and the Yulong may be the better sounding unit. I think that really the main difference between them as far as the DAC goes is the USB receiver (project86 might know if this is the case) and that may make a difference between them.

As soon as I saw pictures of the X-Sabre and how it was constructed I snapped one up. I think it is a really cool experiment to have all of the different circuits isolated in a metal block and it seems to work really well. The resolution and black background of the Matrix is pretty much unmatched. It's the only part of my rig I haven't changed out in the past 6 months and I have no intention of letting it go.

Nov 9, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #715 of 1,273
Hello everybody (first of all sorry for my english :) ).

Just got mine from local dealer and begun experiencing problems from first using.

So previously I used Dr.Dac2 Dx with WireWorld ultraviolet USB cable and was pretty satisfied with headphones output (headphones ATH1000) with OPA627 but not a big pleasure with H-Fi system CA Azur 640A v2 + MA Silver.

So I put X-Sabre to PC (win7) connected with WW USB cable, turned on and installed drivers from USB flash from the box.

After that the system detected X-Sabre and I defined that as a primary audio device in control panel setup.

In working mode Led lights (LOCK, PCM, 44.1Khz) are lighting. When I launched Media Pleayer with avi film x-sabre begun to “clocking” every 30-40 sec (especially when some intensive sound in film occurs) and sound disappears, after that immediately LOCK is lighting, then PCM lighting, then 44.1 KHZ and sound occurs again.. then the same story.

I also made Foobar ASIO/DSD setup and the system with 30-40 sec writing something like: couldn’t write to ASIO buffer

I paid 1.1 k$ so I still believe that some setups missed.

Please advise me. 

Nov 9, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #716 of 1,273
  Hello everybody (first of all sorry for my english :) ).

Just got mine from local dealer and begun experiencing problems from first using.

So previously I used Dr.Dac2 Dx with WireWorld ultraviolet USB cable and was pretty satisfied with headphones output (headphones ATH1000) with OPA627 but not a big pleasure with H-Fi system CA Azur 640A v2 + MA Silver.

So I put X-Sabre to PC (win7) connected with WW USB cable, turned on and installed drivers from USB flash from the box.

After that the system detected X-Sabre and I defined that as a primary audio device in control panel setup.

In working mode Led lights (LOCK, PCM, 44.1Khz) are lighting. When I launched Media Pleayer with avi film x-sabre begun to “clocking” every 30-40 sec (especially when some intensive sound in film occurs) and sound disappears, after that immediately LOCK is lighting, then PCM lighting, then 44.1 KHZ and sound occurs again.. then the same story.

I also made Foobar ASIO/DSD setup and the system with 30-40 sec writing something like: couldn’t write to ASIO buffer

I paid 1.1 k$ so I still believe that some setups missed.

Please advise me. 

Have you tried a different USB port and cable?

Nov 9, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #717 of 1,273
Guessing your fancy USB cable is to blame. Use one that came with your printer or something and I bet it will work fine.

Nov 9, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #718 of 1,273
I think that really the main difference between them as far as the DAC goes is the USB receiver (project86 might know if this is the case) and that may make a difference between them.

I've read (only read...) that the Amanero (DA8) is a very well designed USB receiver (used in the DA8 without external power from USB cable).

Nov 9, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #719 of 1,273

Have you tried a different USB port and cable?

Thanks for the idea. The problem was the the device was connected to USB 3.0 port (for Dr.Dac2 it doesnt matter) but for X-Sabre made sense. 

So now it works properly. No interruption, no clocking, and it is switching modes (44.1, 48, x2, x4.. etc) depends on quality of HD video and FLAC record automatically.

Put my Dr.Dac2 on the shelf and begun to choose headfone amp with XLК inputs. Believe that would be Quattro from Matrix. 

Nov 9, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #720 of 1,273
  I've read (only read...) that the Amanero (DA8) is a very well designed USB receiver (used in the DA8 without external power from USB cable).

Yes, Amanero is quite nice, as is the XMOS chipset used by Matrix. Can't go wrong with either of these options. Amanero is a sort of premade board that can be used as an OEM USB card inside your device. XMOS only supplies the chip itself but their reference design is quite well documented and there are also various ways to tweak it to make it better, though rarely does anyone do a really poor job with it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back