Massdrop PLUS Universal IEM
Jul 2, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #601 of 877
I got my IEMatch in and with it the plus does sound more like it does out of my Magni2 than it did straight out of my V20s headphone jack. Very nice so far. Brings a little extra treble energy and sparkle to the table,

Glad you're finding some positive results out of it :). I had a go with running the Plus with my V20 minus the IEMatch (was feeling too lazy to connect it, I have to disconnect it to fit the whole set in the included case) and the result was very mid-heavy (was also using some mediocre tips at the time, not the green ones). I keep saying to myself I'll do more A-B testing with and without the IEMatch in the path but I can't actually bring myself to use the Plus without it most of the time.

Jul 5, 2018 at 11:03 PM Post #602 of 877
I just ordered a pair. What cable do you guys recommend? I hear the stock one is a little loose.

I'm planning to use it with my dragonfly black on my desktop at work.

Thanks in adcadva

Jul 6, 2018 at 5:41 AM Post #604 of 877
I just ordered a pair. What cable do you guys recommend? I hear the stock one is a little loose.

I'm planning to use it with my dragonfly black on my desktop at work.

Thanks in adcadva

I bought this really basic cable for mine. Fits fine, sounds good and parts seem sturdy.. Ships from Hong Kong so keep that in mind.

https://penonaudio.com/accessories/for-earphone/earphone-cable/silver-plated-replacement-cable.html

Would a Dragonfly Red drive these? I'm considering these as a part of a phone rig... Their sound signature seems to be exactly what I want.

The Massdrop Plus is only 10 Ohms impedance so power-wise most anything should be sufficient. Output impedance-wise, a real lazy google search showed that the dragonfly red has < 1 Ohm output impedance, so applying the 1/8th rule, it should be adequate in that regard as well.

Jul 6, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #606 of 877
I don't think that cable will work. For one thing, it's a balanced cable, meaning it has a 2.5mm connector to connect to a balanced output, so it wouldn't work for things with standard 3.5mm outputs, if that's what you're looking for that is. Also, the description is dodgy about saying what type of connector attaches to the earphones, but It looks like a 0.75mm 2pin, which will fall out of the socket of the plus. You want something with 0.78mm 2 pin connectors for this IEM.

Jul 6, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #607 of 877
We need a list of cables that work (in one place). It's too random as is. Not cables that 'should' work, but cables that work well and are in use.

list (thanks)

1) brevity cable from null audio
2) SGAudiohive Florea SPC (the one you can see in most of my photos)
3) Venture Electronics Copper Cable (the one with the black and red braid, not that that denotes anything specific)
4) Effect Audio Ares II (@Colors was using this, and very much enjoyed it.)

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #610 of 877
Thanks! Just asking as some reviews specify it needs a powerful, very low impedance amp.

They sounded great on my Cayin N5ii 3.5mm port.

Jul 7, 2018 at 1:28 AM Post #613 of 877
We need a list of cables that work (in one place). It's too random as is. Not cables that 'should' work, but cables that work well and are in use.

list (thanks)

1) brevity cable from null audio
2) SGAudiohive Florea SPC (the one you can see in most of my photos)
3) Venture Electronics Copper Cable (the one with the black and red braid, not that that denotes anything specific)
4) Effect Audio Ares II (@Colors was using this, and very much enjoyed it.)

EDIT1: All these are terminated as 3.5mm single-ended (or ‘unbalanced’ if you prefer that term).

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2018 at 2:58 AM Post #614 of 877
I find these are very tip dependent. Double flange work best for me, otherwise the treble is too shelved. The included double flanges work pretty well but quality doesn't seem great.

Considering sound + fit, these are a really good buy at 300 bucks. Neutralish with some bass and warmth.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #615 of 877
Between these and the brevity ine which would you recommend? The Ares 2 is too much but the brevity SGA and venture I could do. For PC / Phone use I want just regular 3.5mm correct, not balanced ?

Also is silver better than copper? Silver is a better conductor but wasn't sure if that's all that matters.

Thank you for the list !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back