Massdrop PLUS Universal IEM
Jun 25, 2018 at 11:22 PM Post #571 of 877
That's good. I didn't misunderstand your question afterall.

Hopefully I've helped!
Definitely! I'll have to soldier on with the VE tips for a while (struggling to get a fit that a) seals well in both ears and b) stays sealed when I transition from a warm room to the cold outdoors.) but I've bookmarked the CP155 for later on.

Jun 26, 2018 at 2:17 AM Post #572 of 877
I bought the MDP as an upgrade from my iBasso IT01's and have to say I'm very happy with them. They're a bit more relaxed than the IT01's, but there's so much more detail. I'm an HD650 fan and the MDP is the best IEM I've heard so far.

Just ordered the JVC Spiral Dot and the Spinfit CP155 tips to try with the MDP for fun.

Jun 26, 2018 at 4:39 AM Post #573 of 877
I bought the MDP as an upgrade from my iBasso IT01's and have to say I'm very happy with them. They're a bit more relaxed than the IT01's, but there's so much more detail. I'm an HD650 fan and the MDP is the best IEM I've heard so far.

Just ordered the JVC Spiral Dot and the Spinfit CP155 tips to try with the MDP for fun.
I think the spiral dot will edged the spinfit. Do share with us

Jun 26, 2018 at 5:59 AM Post #574 of 877
My third-party cable arrived! Now it’s down to tips to complete my setup.

65810EB7-F02D-4EC6-BB6E-E5828A59F107.jpeg 5C1B164D-20DB-468A-B2DA-BE1BBBE5C4E0.jpeg

Jun 26, 2018 at 6:42 AM Post #575 of 877
My third-party cable arrived! Now it’s down to tips to complete my setup.

The double bore one you have right now is really good. In terms of isolation and sound.

Jun 26, 2018 at 5:22 PM Post #577 of 877
What's your setup? that you have to use iematch.
Under ideal conditions it's an LG V20, but I'm also using an iPad Air 2 at home and at work I'm using a Behringer Xenyx302 USB mixer connected to my desktop and a Galaxy S5. All of those have a >1Ohm output impedance, the IEMatch keeps it uniform across all those devices.

The double bore one you have right now is really good. In terms of isolation and sound.

I'm starting to find that, the medium size one seems to solve my fit issues also. Still investigating there.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #579 of 877
I've just posted my review of Massdrop Plus if anyone is interested: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/massdrop-plus.22695/reviews#review-20496

Agreed with your conclusion.

Having tested multiple $1000+ IEMs (N5005, Xelento, Phantom, Legend X, Andromeda, Apollo, Angie, ES5), the MD+ really isn’t thatttt far off when you consider overall package (fit, comfort, isolation, SQ).
The other IEMs are obviously better sound wise and technical ability but none of them gave me the fit, comfort and isolation the MD+ did. It’s kind of mind blowing considering it’s $300.

Jun 27, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #580 of 877
The aftermarket cable I just got is great! It's not too tangly, it doesn't wobble all the time like the "stock" one, has a memory wire to fit it really snug around the ears (although for home use I would prefer my md+ to have a different cable socket position so you could insert and take it out fast), and it's not unnesessary expensive! And they sit MUCH tighter than the stock cable inside the IEM. It's 130cm - too short for a comfotable home use at PC, but I'll just buy an extender. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/IEM...ctor-Tinned-Copper-Conductor/32788379041.html
9938131.jpeg

Jun 27, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #581 of 877
Agreed with your conclusion.

Having tested multiple $1000+ IEMs (N5005, Xelento, Phantom, Legend X, Andromeda, Apollo, Angie, ES5), the MD+ really isn’t thatttt far off when you consider overall package (fit, comfort, isolation, SQ).
The other IEMs are obviously better sound wise and technical ability but none of them gave me the fit, comfort and isolation the MD+ did. It’s kind of mind blowing considering it’s $300.
I definitely agree the MDP is a great deal when you factor into account the outstanding ergonomics.

The downside to its' neutral tuning is it can sound slightly flat and uninvolving at times, but I'm amazed how much difference hooking it up to my new Ares II 8 wire makes, injecting it with extra life and energy as well as a firmer low end, better imaging and timbre, really the entire sound spectrum is improved and it suddenly sounds like a much more sophisticated and nuanced earphone. This is straight out of my AK70 MKII as well, so a high-end source isn't needed to feel the improvement cable rolling makes. Thankfully the Ares II is slightly bright for a copper cable, whereas the average OCC copper cable might not do so well with the MDP because its treble is naturally subdued and I think benefits from a little extra sparkle.

Although my Spartan IV's best the MDP in every department except ergonomics and sub bass, also the MDP may also be a tad less fatiguing due to more rolled-off treble, I won't be parting with them because they're just too comfortable to sell. Massdrop did a great job though like anything there's always room for improvement and I've love to see them release new models with similar form factor but different tunings, perhaps even one with a more BAs at double the price to challenge the Andromeda and TOTL earphones.

Jun 27, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #582 of 877
I definitely agree the MDP is a great deal when you factor into account the outstanding ergonomics.

The downside to its' neutral tuning is it can sound slightly flat and uninvolving at times, but I'm amazed how much difference hooking it up to my new Ares II 8 wire makes, injecting it with extra life and energy as well as a firmer low end, better imaging and timbre, really the entire sound spectrum is improved and it suddenly sounds like a much more sophisticated and nuanced earphone. This is straight out of my AK70 MKII as well, so a high-end source isn't needed to feel the improvement cable rolling makes. Thankfully the Ares II is slightly bright for a copper cable, whereas the average OCC copper cable might not do so well with the MDP because its treble is naturally subdued and I think benefits from a little extra sparkle.

Although my Spartan IV's best the MDP in every department except ergonomics and sub bass, also the MDP may also be a tad less fatiguing due to more rolled-off treble, I won't be parting with them because they're just too comfortable to sell. Massdrop did a great job though like anything there's always room for improvement and I've love to see them release new models with similar form factor but different tunings, perhaps even one with a more BAs at double the price to challenge the Andromeda and TOTL earphones.

Ya, the MD+ scales really well with gear. It sounded pretty good out of the box + my iPhone X but when I changed the cables to Ares II + my Cayin N5ii, it became much more engaging.

I still sold mine though because I recently got an ER4SR and I don't like duplication of signatures (the ER4SR is like benchmark for flat except maybe for the ER4S). The ER4SR actually made a lot of my IEMs sound muddy and dark so I ended up selling a lot of them (MD+, ER4XR, Comets, Nova) to fund higher end purchases. Recently got a Campfire Audio Atlas and I hear it has quite the bass (arrives today).

I actually have demo'd the Spartan IV as well! Incredible SQ. I just didn't like the fit of the stock cable haha. I also already have the Bravado so although it is an upgrade (imo), I don't want to sell my Bravado (great IEMs).

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #583 of 877
Ya, the MD+ scales really well with gear. It sounded pretty good out of the box + my iPhone X but when I changed the cables to Ares II + my Cayin N5ii, it became much more engaging.

I still sold mine though because I recently got an ER4SR and I don't like duplication of signatures (the ER4SR is like benchmark for flat except maybe for the ER4S). The ER4SR actually made a lot of my IEMs sound muddy and dark so I ended up selling a lot of them (MD+, ER4XR, Comets, Nova) to fund higher end purchases. Recently got a Campfire Audio Atlas and I hear it has quite the bass (arrives today).

I actually have demo'd the Spartan IV as well! Incredible SQ. I just didn't like the fit of the stock cable haha. I also already have the Bravado so although it is an upgrade (imo), I don't want to sell my Bravado (great IEMs).
I feel like a quality DAP is a requirement to get the most out of any decent portable earphone, even budget Chinese IEMS which can sound scale surprisingly well. Anyone yet to hear a good portable source may feel their phone is "good enough" without realizing what they're missing out on. Those of us who've been on Head-Fi a really long time may remember similar things being said about portable amps ten or more years ago, although back then sources like ipods had pretty wimpy headphone amps, but I wonder if the headphone amps of most phones these days are really that much better. I guess what I'm saying here is that when you buy a DAP you're essentially getting two devices in one, both a quality DAC and headphone amp, so the capacity for the sound to improve is very significant.
Cable improvements are more controversial, mostly I think on account of how difficult it is to audition a range of cables in most Western audio shops as compared with Asia, and Head-Fiers being reluctant to make that initial investment in a high-quality cable that'll yield a tangible benefit. From the moment I bought a 4 wire Ares II last year I was converted to a believer, hearing a clear difference between that cable and all the wires that came with the earphones I owned. Cheap cables seem to have a way of sucking the dynamics out of the presentation, compressing the soundstage and muddying everything in a way that I'd imagine would become recognizable to anyone who spends a lot of time rolling high-end cables.

The Etymotic earphones I haven't heard but they've always had a reputation here for being analytical but bass shy, and maybe also uncomfortable for some people with those triple flange tips. They're famous for punching above their weight when it comes to detail retrieval. The Spartan's are similar, being reference tuned and not terribly bassy. They've really impressed me and I'm now keen to try out one of EE's newer offerings, particularly as the Spartans are the most cohesive of any multi-BA IEM I've owned and cohesion is something I find really important in banishing fatigue. The MDP are also really good in that respect and their slightly muted treble is also beneficial. Really bright earphones, headphones & speakers are always great for that initial 'wow factor' but virtually come with an inbuilt-timer of minutes or hours you can listen to them before the piercing shrill drives you crazy.

Jun 27, 2018 at 4:42 PM Post #584 of 877
While on the subject...I have been giving serious consideration to getting a DAP now that I finally have an IEM I like for while on the go. I picked up an IEMatch to use with my Note 8 while on the bus the last couple days, and while acceptable, it is just so lackluster compared to when driving out of a dedicated DAC/Amp setup.

Any DAP recommendations for pairing with these? I saw the Cayin and Astell & Kern recommendations. Is that the route folks would go when buying specifically for use with the MD+? I have a good size FLAC collection, would certainly be a bonus if it supports Spotify though.

Jun 27, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #585 of 877
While on the subject...I have been giving serious consideration to getting a DAP now that I finally have an IEM I like for while on the go. I picked up an IEMatch to use with my Note 8 while on the bus the last couple days, and while acceptable, it is just so lackluster compared to when driving out of a dedicated DAC/Amp setup.

Any DAP recommendations for pairing with these? I saw the Cayin and Astell & Kern recommendations. Is that the route folks would go when buying specifically for use with the MD+? I have a good size FLAC collection, would certainly be a bonus if it supports Spotify though.
The new Hiby DAPs seem to be some of the better value ones out there. There's probably even cheapy Chinese players you can find at Penon Audio or Aliexpress that'll deliver better performance than a smartphone. If you want to go more upmarket perhaps a Sony ZX300 or WM1A would suit you, or the DX200 which is very popular. I'm a fan of Astell & Kern due to their great looks, simple interface and pleasing midrange coloration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back