Massdrop PLUS Universal IEM
Jul 16, 2018 at 6:58 AM Post #631 of 877
I think it’s either the EXO BT or a wired cable. They don’t currently make one that has both the Bluetooth hardware and an analog connection. I thought Null had a BT cable in their lineup but it looks like I was wrong.

EDIT1: Lear make one for the JDM and it’s a tad cheaper than the Plussound if cost is a factor. It’s a bit hard to tell if it had the required notch on the connector though. https://www.amazon.com/LEAR-2Pin【Cable-Bluetooth-compatible-connector】【Japan/dp/B0722JDMP5

Not looking like the Lear has the notch unfortunately. The price for the Plussound Exo is doable, even the silver over copper version (which I read should be a little more balanced than the pure copper, correct?), but the rush processing is definitely expensive at $150 if I read that correctly. Is their rush processing truly rushed - i.e. like < 1 week vs 6-8 weeks?

EDIT: Has anyone tried these before and know if they sound good? https://penonaudio.com/mmcx-silver-plated-bluetooth-iem-cable.html?search=bluetooth&category_id=73

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2018 at 7:32 AM Post #632 of 877
I love these. Picked them up in May, and theyve quickly taken over my EDC. Sound great to me, but Im pretty newby when it comes to defining sound.

Im still trying to find tips that fit my ear better. The medium single and double flange fit, but I cant get a good seal. I tried Spiral Dots with them, but the hard silicone feel terrible after long use. I ordered some Mandarine Symbio W's, so hopefully, those will work.

I use the 64Audio mic cable, and they work pretty fantastically. I had the NullAudio Brevity S, but for some reason, it kept weirdly coiling everytime I took my phone out of my pocket. It was super frustrating.

Jul 17, 2018 at 9:53 PM Post #636 of 877
That's what I want too. I'd be using it as balanced.
Does maintain/increase the rest of sound SQ ( soundstage, highs and mids )?
I'm not the best at describing how stuff like this sounds but here goes: It has been a while since I used the stock cable (the brevity has a mic and I mainly use the MD+ on the go), but from memory I would say the mids were a tiny bit more forward on the stock cable. Definitely a little darker overall with the copper cable. I mean most of the differences, to me, aren't night and day so much as if you hear the same song on both cables certain parts stick out as different. YMMV.

Jul 19, 2018 at 1:33 AM Post #637 of 877
Im still trying to find tips that fit my ear better. The medium single and double flange fit, but I cant get a good seal. I tried Spiral Dots with them, but the hard silicone feel terrible after long use. I ordered some Mandarine Symbio W's, so hopefully, those will work.

Just a thing about the Symbio Ws, I mentioned I was planning to use mine with the MD+ and the manufacturer said they were "NOT designed for deep insertion." <- their words, not mine.

Jul 21, 2018 at 1:34 AM Post #640 of 877
FWIW I did try despite the warning. They didn’t stay in but my ear canals are pretty small.

The thing with Symbio Ws is that their sizing is intentional. The S fits like an M; M fits like a L; L fits like an XL. Due to the increased size, they are designed to fit shallow. The resulting sound is very interesting and I've never heard anything like that before. It becomes warm and the soundstage becomes rounded (like a small concert hall) rather than free field.

Last edited:
Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
Jul 28, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #642 of 877
Funnily enough I’ve just done the same thing in the opposite direction. I wasn’t able to get a decent fit with the Mandarines and the MD+, they never stayed in for me regardless of which IEM I used, which is a shame. I have typed with modifying them a bit, but haven’t really thought much further beyond that.
Another thing with the Mandarines is that even the wide bore version will still occlude the ends of the sound tubes on the MD+, which seems to make for a more closed-in soundstage.

Jul 30, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #643 of 877
The thing with Symbio Ws is that their sizing is intentional. The S fits like an M; M fits like a L; L fits like an XL. Due to the increased size, they are designed to fit shallow. The resulting sound is very interesting and I've never heard anything like that before. It becomes warm and the soundstage becomes rounded (like a small concert hall) rather than free field.

Wowow. I'm an idiot.

I was wondering why the tips were so big. I was using the tips with deep insertion, so I had to use the small tips. I thought they sounded okay, but not as good as people were saying. Now, I'm using the large tips as shallow insertion, and they sound so much better. Thanks for that clarification.

Aug 6, 2018 at 6:19 AM Post #644 of 877
Hi,

Does anyone know where I can get a balanced cable to use ? I saw a lot of cables on moon audio but not quieq sure which one would work. Not looking to spend over $100.

Thanks

Aug 6, 2018 at 6:31 AM Post #645 of 877
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back