Massdrop PLUS Universal IEM
May 13, 2018 at 5:04 AM Post #363 of 877
May 13, 2018 at 6:56 AM Post #364 of 877
How do they differ with the stock cable? Colour me intrigued.
Generally the Kumitate Licht adds quite a lot of sub bass detail and detail along all parts of the audio spectrum. When used with something like my 6B, it's fairly overwhelming - especially for trance. Now, when paired with the Massdrop Plus, for me, it eliminates the need to use any kind of EQ at all. So I leave the bass switch and gain switches alone on the dac/amp now.

The balanced cable that you get with the plus is reasonable. It compares favourably with some of the value cables you can get from AliExpress. I am impressed with its flexibility and general design...but it is fairly neutral in terms of sound signature. Would say it's about on par with with an old JH audio triple twist or a newer Noble stock cable.

Would love to hear the plus with a PW audio cable...the 1960's or yet to be released 1950's would make this thing sound unreal I'm sure. Too bad those things cost many times the Iem cost :).....mind you, the MDP does shoot at above its price level....and there is a very reasonably priced PW audio cable for sale in the for sale forum at the moment...

Last edited:
May 13, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #365 of 877
Should I like that white cable? Convince me to like it, as it's cheesy looking :D

I would imagine it's functionally very good, with microphonics and all.

Any alternative suggestions?

I mean, my iT01 has an awesome cable (very classy looking). Those were cheapish also.

Last edited:
May 13, 2018 at 3:00 PM Post #366 of 877
Cable is meh, first thing that should be replaced. I dont know how good or bad it is soundwise as massdrops are my only iems with 2pin cable other than ultra cheap KZ from china, all other have mmcx. The stock cable feels cheap and plasticky and tangles very easily. Microphonics are present but they are not annoying probably due to good fit and that the cable is over the ear.

I would order some balanced cable right away but I'm on the fence if I should buy something much, much, muuuuch more expensive and let my all other iems go or just stick with what i have :wink:

Anyway if someone wants to order aftermarket cable keep in mind that sockets are recessed and not every cable will fit.

Last edited:
May 13, 2018 at 5:36 PM Post #368 of 877
People are actually making their own? Some that work, apparently (from thread):

Only the Null Audio was recommended at Massdrop?:
Another commenter here brought up Null Audio, they have a ~$22 USD cable with mic that should work (pick Westone/Noble/JH 2-pin termination).
https://www.null-audio.com/collecti...oducts/brevity-s-5n-occ-copper-earphone-cable

https://penonaudio.com/accessories/for-earphone/earphone-cable/silver-plated-replacement-cable.html

There are others, but no feedback as to wether they work. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
May 13, 2018 at 10:26 PM Post #369 of 877
Generally the Kumitate Licht adds quite a lot of sub bass detail and detail along all parts of the audio spectrum. When used with something like my 6B, it's fairly overwhelming - especially for trance. Now, when paired with the Massdrop Plus, for me, it eliminates the need to use any kind of EQ at all. So I leave the bass switch and gain switches alone on the dac/amp now.

The balanced cable that you get with the plus is reasonable. It compares favourably with some of the value cables you can get from AliExpress. I am impressed with its flexibility and general design...but it is fairly neutral in terms of sound signature. Would say it's about on par with with an old JH audio triple twist or a newer Noble stock cable.

Would love to hear the plus with a PW audio cable...the 1960's or yet to be released 1950's would make this thing sound unreal I'm sure. Too bad those things cost many times the Iem cost :).....mind you, the MDP does shoot at above its price level....and there is a very reasonably priced PW audio cable for sale in the for sale forum at the moment...

Thanks for that :)
I have grown the expectation that I'd need to replace the cable, and the Hansound Redcore would be my choice if I were working to a big budget, but as it is I'm thinking of starting a bit of a professional relationship with the Singapore Audio Hive. They are the only outfit I've seen with a proven record of successfully recabling some of the other models of IEMs I have, as well as making their own cables. I'd also like to have a go at building a cable of my own at some stage, since all the parts seem readily available and I'm a lot better at soldering now than I used to be :stuck_out_tongue:

May 14, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #370 of 877
Drop! drop! drop! :)

May 15, 2018 at 7:32 PM Post #371 of 877
Okay! So new units arrived at the warehouse today...drop scheduled for Friday!

May 16, 2018 at 5:11 AM Post #372 of 877
1B4F3489-2CBF-43A3-9CC1-D4029DEFFC3B.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back