m50 vs. hdj2000 vs. xone 53 vs. pro700mk2 vs. beyerdynamic 880? or wait for xb1000?
Jun 20, 2011 at 7:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

DerangedGoose

Head-Fier
Im looking for big, feel-able bass (I assume this is where the xb1000 will shine). I listen to a lot of bass heavy genres; especially in the electronic dance music spectrum. However, more bass is only good if it doesnt sacrifice too much of the rest of the sound. That being said, Im looking for a solid pair of fullsize headphones that have a lot of bass. I currently own a pair of AKG k518s, which have great bass for their size, but Im ready for more.

I realize my matchup is a bit random; I will be doing some DJing and mixing as well so it would be cool if the headphones could serve that purpose too (obviously XBs cannot). If they cant, its not the end of the world

Also, how does the BD 880 compare? I just threw it in there because they seem to be decently affordable when used.

People keep saying how ridiculously wide and engulfing the soundstage and sound is on the XB1000, should I just wait till they are released here, consider them my go to bassphones, and move on to finding a pair to DJ with? 

Thanks for taking the time to help guys!

Jun 20, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #2 of 15
I think that three of the best contenders regarding bass emphasized sound, short of flagships, would be Ultrasone Pro 900, Sony XB1000 and Audio Technica PRO700MK2.

Still, I have a pair of XD-53 and they perform quite well for their price tag.

What exactly is your budget?

Jun 20, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #3 of 15
a soft limit of about $250, I AM willing to buy used headphones if they are in good condition, no problem with that. What would be a flagship model with even better bass than those listed? and Is there any reason to prefer the 700mk2/pro900 over the xb1000?

so the xone 53 really should only be compared to other DJ headphones? how does it stack up to the hdj2000?

Jun 20, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #4 of 15

Quote:
a soft limit of about $250, I AM willing to buy used headphones if they are in good condition, no problem with that. What would be a flagship model with even better bass than those listed? and Is there any reason to prefer the 700mk2/pro900 over the xb1000?

so the xone 53 really should only be compared to other DJ headphones? how does it stack up to the hdj2000?

Why would the XB1000 be prefered to the Pro 900? Many consider that Ultrasone model to be the best headphones for bass related audio.

Flagship models with good bass performance are Audeze LCD-2, Hifiman HE-500, Ultrasone Edition 8, Denon D7000, and others. But this is for headphones with MSRPs of around  $1000.

Still, if you're willing to get used headphones, you have a much larger selection. Given that you plan on DJing, I'd steer away from Denons (due to build quality) and even Ultrasones (due to some isolation). The PRO700MK2, XD-53 and HDJ2000 would be your best bets, and those can be had new within budget.

Jun 20, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #5 of 15
From here I break into two seperate questions:

1) Has anyone done an xb1000 vs pro900 head to head? What are the strengths/weaknesses of either?

2) I havent heard much about the 700mk2, but one user did reply that he found the hdj2000 specifically superior to the xone 53, whereas anyone who stated the 53 was their fave never mentioned any comparisons to other models. Its quite obvious the HDJ will have the strongest build, but which of these three has the best sound?

Jun 20, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #6 of 15

Quote:
From here I break into two seperate questions:

1) Has anyone done an xb1000 vs pro900 head to head? What are the strengths/weaknesses of either?

2) I havent heard much about the 700mk2, but one user did reply that he found the hdj2000 specifically superior to the xone 53, whereas anyone who stated the 53 was their fave never mentioned any comparisons to other models. Its quite obvious the HDJ will have the strongest build, but which of these three has the best sound?

First thing, use the search bar.

There is a review of both headphones.

Actually, there is very little differences between the HDJ2000 and the XD-53, sonically speaking, but the materials of the HDJ2000 are more robust, and not obvious at all, but a manufacturer decision.

The PRO700MK2 will give you the biggest bass presence, but since it's relatively new, there aren't many different opinions over it. But if you like bass oriented music and plan on DJing, they could be your best best of all three.

EDIT: Honestly, I don't agree with the points made on the review regarding the Pro 900, as they have more sub-bass than the reviews leds to believe.

Jun 20, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #7 of 15
Since the 700mk2 and XB700 both have similarly sized drivers, can I expect similar bass performance from each? Or are the massive pads of the XB more conducive to bass-oriented listening? It seems like the 700mk2 could be a potential contender for both DJ duty and bass-oriented listening, which would save me $$ on getting the xb700 and DJ headphones. Then again, if I want the 1000, everything changes...

Jun 21, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #8 of 15

Quote:
Since the 700mk2 and XB700 both have similarly sized drivers, can I expect similar bass performance from each? Or are the massive pads of the XB more conducive to bass-oriented listening? It seems like the 700mk2 could be a potential contender for both DJ duty and bass-oriented listening, which would save me $$ on getting the xb700 and DJ headphones. Then again, if I want the 1000, everything changes...

Keep one thing in mind, driver size doesn't mean better performance. On the other hand, better isolation from pads can improve bass response.

But overall, XB700 is a lower end set compared to the PRO700MK2. Honestly, I don't think XB700 would be needed at all if you bought the PRO700MK2, as it outperforms XB700 by a certain degree. They're just at different levels.

Jun 21, 2011 at 6:11 AM Post #9 of 15

Quote:

Keep one thing in mind, driver size doesn't mean better performance. On the other hand, better isolation from pads can improve bass response.

But overall, XB700 is a lower end set compared to the PRO700MK2. Honestly, I don't think XB700 would be needed at all if you bought the PRO700MK2, as it outperforms XB700 by a certain degree. They're just at different levels.

Youre probably right about that. how do you think the 700mk2 would compare to the xone 53/hdj 2000 in terms of sound quality?

Jun 22, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #10 of 15
When you numbered the qualities you were looking for in a headphone, you practically described the Denon AH-D1100.

Great bass, not overwhelming. It will perfectly suit your musical preferences. I am an electronic music lover myself and they're great for that and rock music.

Super comfortable. They are considered portable, even though they are circumaural.

The cups bend backward, dj-style. Denon was actually marketing them that way.

You should definitely consider it.

Jun 22, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #11 of 15

Quote:
Youre probably right about that. how do you think the 700mk2 would compare to the xone 53/hdj 2000 in terms of sound quality?

Some consider HDJ2000 to be the superior set, mainly more balanced than the PRO700MK2 (not 700mk2
wink.gif
), but I don't know for how much can you get those headphones, as the price tag can be quite different depending on the retailers.

Quote:
When you numbered the qualities you were looking for in a headphone, you practically described the Denon AH-D1100.

Great bass, not overwhelming. It will perfectly suit your musical preferences. I am an electronic music lover myself and they're great for that and rock music.

Super comfortable. They are considered portable, even though they are circumaural.

Denon DJ cans are DN-HP series, not AH-Dxxxx series.

Jun 22, 2011 at 3:39 AM Post #12 of 15
Oh yes, I'm aware their dj line is separate. But I did see some online stores using that feature (cups that bend backwards) to sell them.

Jun 22, 2011 at 9:59 AM Post #14 of 15

Quote:
I currently own a pair of AKG k518s, which have great bass for their size, but Im ready for more.

Hmm, did you mean you're looking for even more bass? Those AKGs are already very bassy and you can't get much more bass than this without sacrificing some detail in mids (or possibly highs). We're talking about headphones such as XB500/XB700 (XB1000 won't be bassier than the AKGs), Ultrasone PRO900, Audio Technica PRO700mk2 etc. I'd go for pro700mk2 to be on the safe side, seems to be a very good headphone concidered the amount bass it packs. 

Jun 22, 2011 at 3:19 PM Post #15 of 15

Quote:

I realize they are probably good, but do they rival the pro700mk2 and hdj2000? I havent seen them mentioned anywhere...

Quote:
Hmm, did you mean you're looking for even more bass? Those AKGs are already very bassy and you can't get much more bass than this without sacrificing some detail in mids (or possibly highs). We're talking about headphones such as XB500/XB700 (XB1000 won't be bassier than the AKGs), Ultrasone PRO900, Audio Technica PRO700mk2 etc. I'd go for pro700mk2 to be on the safe side, seems to be a very good headphone concidered the amount bass it packs. 

Why will the xb700 surpass the AKG but not the 1000? Is it because the soundstage on the 1000 is bigger and not as in your face? From what I've been hearing (hah! my first headfi pun), it seems like if its down to the HDJ2000 and the pro700mk2, I should go with the HDJ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back