Low end. Cheap. Generic. Otherwise bang for buck cable thread!
Apr 17, 2019 at 6:50 AM Post #1,201 of 9,211
Apr 17, 2019 at 7:38 AM Post #1,202 of 9,211
I just noticed that Acrolink has 16 core versions of their 8 core cables as well. They seem to be the same in terms of material used with just geometries being different:
A) 8 core, 19 * 0.10mm per core (link to cable)
B) 16 core, 7 * 0.10mm per core (link to cable)

A has a larger equivalent cross-section so should have better conductivity, but I imagine B should be softer because of the more distributed thickness (and also being thinner overall). Then again, you have more "sleeve" material, so maybe the opposite is true. Any thoughts? I'm hoping B might be the best compromise for me between build, performance and ergonomics.
you are right about your guesses. A section is 0.30mm2 per signal (total cable resistance around 95mOhm); B section is 0.22mm2 (around 120mOhm).
but the sleeve used in B is not like A PVC sleeve. it looks thinner, besides of transparent; if it is TPE or similar, it will be more flexible. a buyer of B reports some microphonics; if sleeve is made of teflon, it won't be much flexible.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2019 at 8:46 AM Post #1,203 of 9,211
I've been reading this thread with interest and find it very helpful. I am looking to purchase a cable for my iems (mmcx/3.5) and are overwhelmed by the choices. My only problem is that I need to have the cable by the beginning of next month which seems to eliminate most of the Asian distributors and also custom manufacturers. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I could get a decent quality cable within a week or two?

I saw that BTG had "ready to ship" cables (I was thinking of the midnight one), but then read reviews that said they can be unreliable in getting items shipped.

Thanks for any advice/help!!

Apr 17, 2019 at 10:26 AM Post #1,204 of 9,211
I've been reading this thread with interest and find it very helpful. I am looking to purchase a cable for my iems (mmcx/3.5) and are overwhelmed by the choices. My only problem is that I need to have the cable by the beginning of next month which seems to eliminate most of the Asian distributors and also custom manufacturers. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I could get a decent quality cable within a week or two?

I saw that BTG had "ready to ship" cables (I was thinking of the midnight one), but then read reviews that said they can be unreliable in getting items shipped.

Thanks for any advice/help!!
It's hard to recommend a "decent" cable without knowing the budget. But you're right, less than 2 weeks is tough if you're buying from China, although I've had pretty good experiences so far.

Apr 17, 2019 at 11:01 AM Post #1,206 of 9,211
A buyer of B reports some microphonics; if sleeve is made of teflon, it won't be much flexible.
I noticed that too. Not too reassuring, but it also depends on what the expectations and prior experiences were for that user.
Last question. You said you preferred the copper to the spc version (160 over 161), but it's not clear to me if you meant the sound or something else.

Apr 17, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #1,207 of 9,211
Thanks for the thoughts! My budget is less than $100 and I live in the US.
Sounds like you might be in the same place I was when joining this thread a couple of weeks ago. You could follow the conversation from this first post. It was mostly @hakuzen who replied to my questions and I think that's the information you're looking for as well. We go through cable features like conductor quality, ergonomics and price. You still need to go through a few pages, but should narrow it down enough.

If you're curious what my (almost) conclusion is, then I'm about to order this Acrolink cable.

Apr 17, 2019 at 12:43 PM Post #1,208 of 9,211
Sounds like you might be in the same place I was when joining this thread a couple of weeks ago. You could follow the conversation from this first post. It was mostly @hakuzen who replied to my questions and I think that's the information you're looking for as well. We go through cable features like conductor quality, ergonomics and price. You still need to go through a few pages, but should narrow it down enough.

If you're curious what my (almost) conclusion is, then I'm about to order this Acrolink cable.

Thanks for the direction! Yes, these posts are very helpful and the cable you have settled on has great specs and price. Given my time constraints, are there any sites who warehouse these cables in the US? I'm concerned shipping times from China might take too long.

Apr 17, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #1,209 of 9,211
I noticed that too. Not too reassuring, but it also depends on what the expectations and prior experiences were for that user.
Last question. You said you preferred the copper to the spc version (160 over 161), but it's not clear to me if you meant the sound or something else.
yes, it was about sound, because i love the look of the purple cable (it's also available in orange, and in green, iirc).
my first impression was copper version sounded much better, but when i tried a few days later, i'm not sure which one i prefer. sound with copper is great, but found some details (never heard before) at mids and highs with spc version, while keeping full lows textures. differences are minimal between good quality cables, copper or silver. my ears and mood seem to like changing everyday.. during last AB, liked these acrolink cables over any other else..

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2019 at 4:24 AM Post #1,210 of 9,211
Ok, bought the 16 core Acrolink cable in SPC. The wait begins.

HTB1tmo.binrK1Rjy1Xcq6yeDVXa7.jpg

Apr 18, 2019 at 8:27 PM Post #1,211 of 9,211
Ok. Big dum dum question here. I just got the NiceHCK 16 core copper 2 pin cable. Its for my C10. Obviously the red side is Right and the white side is Left. Where the confusion lies is that there is a small blue mark on the bottom pad and a red tip on the pin directly above the blue mark. LOL. What to do? Im confused on how to connect the cable. Any help in this area is most needed.

Apr 18, 2019 at 8:33 PM Post #1,212 of 9,211
Ok. Big dum dum question here. I just got the NiceHCK 16 core copper 2 pin cable. Its for my C10. Obviously the red side is Right and the white side is Left. Where the confusion lies is that there is a small blue mark on the bottom pad and a red tip on the pin directly above the blue mark. LOL. What to do? Im confused on how to connect the cable. Any help in this area is most needed.

I’m 98.712% sure the blue is ground (—).

Which on KZ and CCA is the FLAT side of the 2-pin female socket.

It’s easy for me to remember because the flat side looks like a minus sign (ie “—“ is flat, just like the flat part of the 2-pin socket is flat).

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/kno...essions-thread.698148/page-1194#post-13516067

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2019 at 8:44 PM Post #1,213 of 9,211
Apr 18, 2019 at 8:57 PM Post #1,214 of 9,211
And the red on the pin would indicate + but they are on the same side. Confusing.

Do you have a multimeter handy? That would determine the correct orientation in under 10 seconds.

If I saw that cable, I would assume red=right. So in other words:

Red plug=right, with blue dot facing the flat part (—) of the CCA 2-pin socket

Clear plug=left, with blue dot facing the flat part (—) of the CCA 2-pin socket

But some manufacturers do the opposite for some strange reason, so who knows. That’s why a multimeter check would remove all guesswork.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2019 at 10:11 PM Post #1,215 of 9,211
And the red on the pin would indicate + but they are on the same side. Confusing.
I think I have these.. are these the ones without ear guides? I'll check and let you know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back