Low end. Cheap. Generic. Otherwise bang for buck cable thread!
Jun 15, 2019 at 1:14 PM Post #1,771 of 9,223
Jun 15, 2019 at 1:23 PM Post #1,772 of 9,223
thanks!
nice to see another large batch of cables without solder issues, except of trn 8 cores, of course.
would you like i add your measurements of cables which are already in my list? more measurements, more info (better statistics).. i'd indicate they are your measurements, of course

you have a list of some of them, with resistance measurements, in my lists:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/resistance-of-cables-pics-comments-and-links.907998/
click on - adapters (measurements, pics, and links)
Absolutely add whatever you want I don't care about credit. The more the database contains the better all of us can be on deciding where best to spend our money.

Jun 17, 2019 at 12:32 PM Post #1,774 of 9,223
Ok, I just got done testing 2 more cables.
  • (060) NiceHCK 8-core brown wire w/carbon fiber plug, 3.5mm SE, 2-pin
  • Kinboofi 8-core copper & silver bi-color, 3.5mm SE, 2-pin
NiceHCK cable has all cores connected. 2 to L+, 2 to R+, and 4 to gnd. Even though there’s 4 connected to gnd (causing a lopsided reading for resistance), if this was a balanced cable I’m sure it would have 2 to L+, 2 to R+, 2 to L-, and 2 to R-.

I also have the mmcx version of this cable, but I decided not to tear it down. I have no reason to believe that it’s built any different from the 2-pin version I did tear down.

Kinboofi cable has all cores connected. 2 silver to L+, 2 silver to R+, and 4 copper to gnd. I would have preferred to have 1 silver and 1 copper to each terminal, but oh well. I seem to remember hakuzen saying that KZ does their bi-colored cables this way (with all 1 wire type to + and the other wire type to gnd). Anyways, even though there’s 4 cores connected to gnd (causing a lopsided reading for resistance), if this was a balanced cable I’m sure it would have 2 to L+, 2 to R+, 2 to L-, and 2 to R-.

A few more interesting notes about both of these cables:
  1. Both of these cables were constructed with the exact same (and odd) heat shrink configuration inside of the 3.5mm jack. I’m willing to bet that both of these cables are made by the same OEM factory (and just printed with the NiceHCK/Kinboofi logo). I have NOT seen this same heat shrink configuration on any of the other cables I’ve tested.
  2. While both cables had glued on 3.5mm plugs (meaning they couldn't simply be unscrewed and had to be cut apart), NEITHER cable were filled with the clear plastic polymer/glue that's been in all of the other cables. It's unfortunate that I had to destructively tear these down. If there was some way the 3.5mm plugs could be unscrewed, all of the wires could be accessed (for physical examination, repair, etc). Oh well.
  3. I was impressed by the high quality solder joints and very good strain reliefs inside the jack of both cables.
  4. Due to the particular internal construction of these cables that I have yet to see on any other cables (the unique heat shrink, lack of clear goo, etc), I’m willing to bet that both of these cables are made by the same OEM factory (and just printed with the NiceHCK/Kinboofi logo).
I would buy either of these budget cables in a heart beat.

A special thanks to @Midgetguy for donating the Kinboofi cable for dissection!! Someone buy this guy a beer!
Awesome work! Interesting to find out that the silver/copper hybrid is one element per terminal, wouldn't have guessed it. If they're the same OEM, then that OEM appears to be doing good work (aside from the weird element/terminal thing). Great contribution to the community, so the pleasure's all mine to supply the cable :D

Jun 17, 2019 at 3:51 PM Post #1,775 of 9,223
I know this is probably the wrong thread to ask, but I figured with all of the know-how here that someone would probably know. Can anyone tell me how an 8 core adapter cable would be soldered to a 3.5mm trrs plug? I'm reterminating an old adapter of mine; the only change is from 3.5mm to 3.5mm trrs balanced (the other end is a 2.5mm trrs female). Every strand is silver; there's not much way to differentiate the strands at all. It'll be for use with my iFi Nano Black Label.

Jun 17, 2019 at 3:57 PM Post #1,776 of 9,223
I know this is probably the wrong thread to ask, but I figured with all of the know-how here that someone would probably know. Can anyone tell me how an 8 core adapter cable would be soldered to a 3.5mm trrs plug? I'm reterminating an old adapter of mine; the only change is from 3.5mm to 3.5mm trrs balanced (the other end is a 2.5mm trrs female). Every strand is silver; there's not much way to differentiate the strands at all. It'll be for use with my iFi Nano Black Label.

So you’re going to a balanced source?

Do you know what the pin arrangement weds to be? Because they’re not all the same.

Jun 17, 2019 at 6:11 PM Post #1,778 of 9,223
I am looking to buy 130 but I am a bit convinced if it would work with 2 pin recessed socket. Anyone can confirm that before I put an order?

Is i130 best choice for me? Have Ei.xx and looking for a better Soundstage and a bit brighter sound. I like V shaped sound and Ei.xx is pretty warm.

Jun 17, 2019 at 6:34 PM Post #1,779 of 9,223
Anyone gonna try the KBEAR cables?
HTB1QKkhc.WF3KVjSZPhq6xclXXaJ.jpg

Saw the 8 and 16 core today for $20-ish and 40-ish but the % off hasn't started yet but should in a couple days like many Ali new arrivals.

Jun 17, 2019 at 6:40 PM Post #1,780 of 9,223
Anyone gonna try the KBEAR cables?
HTB1QKkhc.WF3KVjSZPhq6xclXXaJ.jpg

Saw the 8 and 16 core today for $20-ish and 40-ish but the % off hasn't started yet but should in a couple days like many Ali new arrivals.

I have a silver KB Ear 8-core cable. It’s very well made.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that KB Ear is Kinboofi (ie KinBoofi). The Kinboofi cables I have are nicely made as well.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2019 at 6:53 PM Post #1,781 of 9,223
Yep, was gonna ask if they were recognized as something existing already or if they were new. I did see they are listed as YinY** brand so not sure if they were rebranding an existing cable or are they actually something new.

Jun 17, 2019 at 7:21 PM Post #1,782 of 9,223
Yep, was gonna ask if they were recognized as something existing already or if they were new. I did see they are listed as YinY** brand so not sure if they were rebranding an existing cable or are they actually something new.

Mine has no branding anywhere other than KB Ear. Usually the stuff from that seller you mentioned has their own logo or branding. Some sellers put their name in the search listings or descriptions for extras exposure I guess.

Look at how much stuff is on Amazon with some other company name in the title. Like I’ve seen dozens of listings for KZ earphones (with KZ logo and branding) but with some no-name seller’s name photoshopped in the box. It’s not private label; it’s literally just using their name as if they made it.

Like if I sold Apple iPhones as “Slater phones”, and photoshopped my face over the Apple logo. But when you receive the product, it’s all Apple branding and no Slater anything. Why some companies do it is beyond me. It’s just misleading and confusing for people.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2019 at 7:27 PM Post #1,783 of 9,223
I am looking to buy 130 but I am a bit convinced if it would work with 2 pin recessed socket. Anyone can confirm that before I put an order?

Is i130 best choice for me? Have Ei.xx and looking for a better Soundstage and a bit brighter sound. I like V shaped sound and Ei.xx is pretty warm.
130 is an all rounder cable, about sound and flexibility, and would match what you are seeking for.
unfortunately, 2pins version is intended for flush sockets; it would probably work with your recessed socket (make contact), but the connection wouldn't be secure, easy to get disconnected.

Jun 17, 2019 at 7:29 PM Post #1,784 of 9,223
130 is an all rounder cable, about sound and flexibility, and would match what you are seeking for.
unfortunately, 2pins version is intended for flush sockets; it would probably work with your recessed socket (make contact), but the connection wouldn't be secure, easy to get disconnected.

He could always file down the plug a little, like @Dsnuts did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back