Low end. Cheap. Generic. Otherwise bang for buck cable thread!
Jun 18, 2019 at 8:16 AM Post #1,801 of 9,224
I am thinking on buying #70 or #165. I have a niceHck M6 which can be overwhelming and flabby bass, but I did get cable 151 (ISN 8) and that has tightened and cooled the bass nicely and really has let the M6's imaging and resolution shine. Would cable 70 or 165 be an upgrade and still tame the bass a bit?
i assume you mean cable 170, not 70.
yes, they both are an upgrade from isn audio cables. wire used gives you a clear step up in terms of sound.
price is fantastic for these cables during the sales plus coupons. i'd get another one, but i'm served (3 units).

but if you want slight brighter sensation (bass taming), you should go for silver plated up-occ copper litz or hybrid (silver plated copper + copper) versions (not in my list yet):

. taiwan silver plated 7n frozen up-occ litz copper, 4 cores 28awg PE sheath (eidolic styled jack, taiwan imported mmcx). light brown sleeve cores + transparent sleeve cores (silver color)
0.08mm*19(OD:1.08mm/27.3AWG)*4c?
links:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/32994248213.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/32997399146.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/33001933222.html
wire:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/1000007631873.html (copper!,litz) + https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/33006890732.html (litz)

. taiwan silver plated + copper (mixed into each core) frozen up-occ litz, 4 cores 28awg PE sheath (eidolic styled jack, taiwan imported mmcx). transparent sheath, silver+copper colors
0.07mm*7spc+0.09mm*5copper(OD:1.08mm/27.3AWG)*4c?
links:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/32996895840.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/32995698807.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/33002688074.html
wire:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/1000007736919.html (litz)

these are my best recommendation, together with 165 and 170 (copper). once you listen with these taiwan cryo UP-OCC cables, you won't go back

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2019 at 8:22 AM Post #1,802 of 9,224
Agree. On the other hand, for bass taming, I'd opt for silver plated cable better than mixed one.

Jun 18, 2019 at 9:22 AM Post #1,804 of 9,224
I'm actually only going to be using this adapter with the iFi Nano Black Label; it has a 3.5mm TRRS input. The cable I'll be using terminates in 2.5mm TRRS.
it never was clear for me which kind of wiring they use in nano black label 3.5mm TRRS output.
because it's not a balanced output. it's a pseudo balanced output, crosstalk doesn't reach the low level you get with a balanced output, and power is half than balanced output.
they provide same ground signal to each side, separately (pseudo-balanced), instead of inverted L and R signals (pure balanced).
i think this kind of connection is useful for interconnecting single end outputs into balanced inputs, but can't find the point when the end are headphones.

anyway, if same output also works to connect single end 3.5mm TRS jacks, the pins configuration must be:
Left (tip), Right (ring), LeftGround (ring2), RightGround (sleeve).

in your case, i'd had used the adapter as it was originally (it was working for sure).

but if you believe in wonders of iFi "S-Balanced", you've cut the 3.5 TRS jack, and you want to use a 3.5mm TRRS jack, you'll have to solder 8 cores on the new jack (2 cores per contact).
pretty work, good luck.
the 2.5mm TRRS socket of your adapter uses Right-(RightGround) tip, Right+ ring, Left+ ring2, Left-(LeftGround) sleeve, configuration.
you have to identify which contact pins correspond to each signal at the rear of the socket.

and then, solder them to the corresponding contact pins of the jack, following these schemes.

if you use and old style contacts jack: (but please note PIN 3 is Left Ground. and PIN 4 is Right Ground, in your case)
HTB1tNPqhtfJ8KJjy0Feq6xKEXXat.jpg

or if you use this kind of plugs: 3: Left, 2: Right, 1: LeftGround, 4: RightGround
3334773_thumb.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2019 at 3:10 AM Post #1,805 of 9,224
it never was clear for me which kind of wiring they use in nano black label 3.5mm TRRS output.
because it's not a balanced output. it's a pseudo balanced output, crosstalk doesn't reach the low level you get with a balanced output, and power is half than balanced output.
they provide same ground signal to each side, separately (pseudo-balanced), instead of inverted L and R signals (pure balanced).
i think this kind of connection is useful for interconnecting single end outputs into balanced inputs, but can't find the point when the end are headphones.

anyway, if same output also works to connect single end 3.5mm TRS jacks, the pins configuration must be:
Left (tip), Right (ring), LeftGround (ring2), RightGround (sleeve).

in your case, i'd had used the adapter as it was originally (it was working for sure).

but if you believe in wonders of iFi "S-Balanced", you've cut the 3.5 TRS jack, and you want to use a 3.5mm TRRS jack, you'll have to solder 8 cores on the new jack (2 cores per contact).
pretty work, good luck.
the 2.5mm TRRS socket of your adapter uses Right-(RightGround) tip, Right+ ring, Left+ ring2, Left-(LeftGround) sleeve, configuration.
you have to identify which contact pins correspond to each signal at the rear of the socket.

and then, solder them to the corresponding contact pins of the jack, following these schemes.

if you use and old style contacts jack: (but please note PIN 3 is Left Ground. and PIN 4 is Right Ground, in your case)
HTB1tNPqhtfJ8KJjy0Feq6xKEXXat.jpg

or if you use this kind of plugs: 3: Left, 2: Right, 1: LeftGround, 4: RightGround
3334773_thumb.jpg
Thanks so much, man. Using a multimeter, how will I be able to tell which wires will be left wires or right wires? I do understand the picture and the info it contains; I guess this is the only part I still need some help with, lol. I apologise if it seems redundant, man.

Jun 19, 2019 at 7:15 AM Post #1,807 of 9,224
Thanks so much, man. Using a multimeter, how will I be able to tell which wires will be left wires or right wires? I do understand the picture and the info it contains; I guess this is the only part I still need some help with, lol. I apologise if it seems redundant, man.
no worries, it's not redundant. i only told you about needed pins configuration at 3.5mm TRRS male plug for nano.

about the 2.5mm TRRS female plug: "you have to identify which contact pins correspond to each signal at the rear of the socket"

you have two options:

1. unscrew plug shell and check if you can find any info about contact pins. i doubt it.
O1CN011ESL5KBUopX7BPp_!!1860120350.jpg

2. without unscrewing the plug, use your multimeter to identify which signal carries each core.
the problem is that the contacts are buried into the socket, and it's difficult to insert the lead and to know which contact are you touching.
you can try this kind of balun plug:
HTB1lwo2XPLuK1Rjy0Fhq6xpdFXa4.jpg

you can use continuity function of your multimeter, or resistance mode (lowest ohm scale).

touch one core with one lead, and touch every contact in the balun to locate which one is connected.

but remember that your 2.5mm TRRS female plug pin configurations is as folllows:
tip.........(marked as "L" in the balun): R-(RightGround),
ring1.....(marked as "R" in the balun): R+(Right),
ring2.....(marked as "V" in the balun): L+(Left),
sleeve...(marked as "ground" in the balun): L-(LeftGround)

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2019 at 9:38 AM Post #1,809 of 9,224
Just got my ISN Audio S4 cable. Looks like good quality and sounds good as well. Did have to cut off the ear guides as it seemed that on one side the polarity was reversed (2-pin connector) and the ear guide was thus in the wrong direction.

20190619_073506.jpg

Jun 19, 2019 at 9:44 AM Post #1,810 of 9,224
Just got my ISN Audio S4 cable. Looks like good quality and sounds good as well. Did have to cut off the ear guides as it seemed that on one side the polarity was reversed (2-pin connector) and the ear guide was thus in the wrong direction.

congrats, it looks nice!
sometimes you can also re-mold the ear guides using a hot air gun or hair dresser, if you like to keep them

Jun 19, 2019 at 10:00 AM Post #1,811 of 9,224
congrats, it looks nice!
sometimes you can also re-mold the ear guides using a hot air gun or hair dresser, if you like to keep them

Already cut them off, so too late for that. By the way, is there an easy and objective way to determine polarity with these two pin CIEMs and cables? I usually listen for it and if it sounds kinda weird/muffled it often means polarity is reversed. But it was a bit hard to determine with these cables, I think I got it right, but I'm not 100% sure.

Also, do you have any tips for finding a good 2.5mm balanced cable (preferable silver/SPC to match my Beyerdynamic Xelento) with very small MMCX connectors along with a good 2.5mm balanced to 3.5mm stereo adapter that uses the same cable? And something that isn't sold through Ali Express? I tried to purchase something there yesterday and I just couldn't get the payment to go through. So would prefer purchasing from Lunashop or something else like that.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #1,813 of 9,224
@hakuzen i found this :
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bkChOY0u

This cable looks like #155 . Can you check this cable identical or not with #155 ?
wire is very different. they look similar because of the plugs used.
it would be funny to see cable 155 for $10, after noticing the big variations of price (from $28 to $90) in different shops. 155 is not a silver cable, as advertised in some places.

the cable of your link looks stunning for $10. probably the best look for a $10 cable i've seen.
edit: given the 2pins plugs it uses (flush), it could be a very good budget upgrade for KZs

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2019 at 2:39 PM Post #1,814 of 9,224
Already cut them off, so too late for that. By the way, is there an easy and objective way to determine polarity with these two pin CIEMs and cables? I usually listen for it and if it sounds kinda weird/muffled it often means polarity is reversed. But it was a bit hard to determine with these cables, I think I got it right, but I'm not 100% sure.

Also, do you have any tips for finding a good 2.5mm balanced cable (preferable silver/SPC to match my Beyerdynamic Xelento) with very small MMCX connectors along with a good 2.5mm balanced to 3.5mm stereo adapter that uses the same cable? And something that isn't sold through Ali Express? I tried to purchase something there yesterday and I just couldn't get the payment to go through. So would prefer purchasing from Lunashop or something else like that.
it's easy to check if you have a multimeter.
if don't, you can notice when they are out of phase (left side polarity inverted respect right side polarity) because you notice the sound comes from behind your head (or not as front as normal). there are some places at internet you can use to test it (sorry, i don't remember the links now, but they are easy to find).

i don't use wired adapters (except FiiO one). it would be difficult to find same wire in the adapter than in cable, at least decent quality one. check my lists, they include list of adapters

Jun 19, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #1,815 of 9,224
any of them are ok. similar conductivity. check it at my list, cables 053 silver, and 066 black.
but i don't like the cheap furutech styled jack of the jcally cable. found some solder issues in them.
the jack of the nicehck is not wonderful, either, but didn't found any solder issue in any of the 20 cables 053 i've tested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back