1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Low end. Cheap. Generic. Otherwise bang for buck cable thread!

First

Back
113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122
124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133
Next

Last
  1. warriorpoet
    Tried to buy a Gu 8 core 6n OCC, but AE simply would not accept any form of payment. It'll take 11 days to reset my order, but in the meantime, a 170 is on the way, maybe I'll us it on some very special 5-way hybrids :wink:

Thanks for the rec, @hazuken and looking forward to your impressions of the 8 core!

hakuzen likes this.
  2. FastAndClean
    oh no, fiio fh7

3. warriorpoet
    Nope :wink:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  4. Slater
    No need to buy new cables. You can easily remove the ear guides and make them straight.

Broquen and fokta like this.
  5. fokta
    20190622_132112.jpg
    165, reterminate 2.5 using Eidolic jack...

a bit small... but Ok

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
    subwoof3r, hakuzen and Broquen like this.
  6. Broquen
    Yes, I knew it, but thank you for the advice anyway. The problem is because the angled mmcx connectors. I think that removing earguides won't solve the rotation issue, plus the connectors shape does not work with my not over-the-ear IEMS (already tried with KB EAR F1 and Senfer DT6 forcing earguides to straight shape for a while).

IMG_20190622_091226.jpg

superuser1 and hakuzen like this.
  7. Slater
    Oh, I see what you mean now.

8. hakuzen
    nice work! that's a big plug improvement

9. superuser1
    How did the NC5v2 sound change?

10. hakuzen
    added cable 169 to my list. taiwan 7n up-occ silver plated and copper mixed, litz. and updated info (length, diameter..) of some other cables.
    look of 169 is amazing, kind of shiny pink, or light copper color.

after some AB with cables 169, 170, and 165, and if my ears/brain are not fooling me, litz versions give an extra stage (depth mainly) and blacker background over non-litz version (and non-litz version of frozen up-occ is better than the rest of cable wires in my stock). remember that differences are subtle, as usual with cables. this bigger stage contributes to a better imaging and separation sensation, which is crucial for me.
    again, if my ears/brain are not fooling me, i feel mids and highs a bit closer than in copper versions, while can't find a difference in lows. so this cable might pair with very different phones perfectly.
    price is great for this quality of wire and for what you get. excellent value when at sales.

the only con, is resistance a bit high. thicker wire, or 8 cores version would be a dream.

. tw 7n spc+cu upocc lizt 4c (silv+cop,eid,mmcxM): 316..319..311..327..[19.7g]
    structure: 0.08mm?*7(spc)+0.10mm?*5(copper)(OD:1.08mm/28.4AWG)*4c
    taiwan 7n up-occ frozen silver plated copper and copper, mixed strands in each core, litz (independently shielded/enameled).
    outer diameter: 4.3mm. total length: 120cm (47cm from splitter).
    very good quality conductor material.
    only mmcx (with 2.5, 3.5, and 4.4mm jacks) available. these mmcx plugs from Taiwan are wider than average, their quality is superior, preciser mechanized: safe and easier pop in and out. rotate freely.
    not very flexible wire, guess it's due to the sleeve. some microphonics, then.
    sound is very clean, reference. dark background, bigger soundstage; definition is so great, that i feel better separation and imaging than the rest.
    it's thinner than i'd like, but litz shielding can give even darker background than wire used in cable 165 (no litz, but thicker); this is confirmed after first listening, but difference is subtle (as usual with cables).
    i usually prefer copper to silver plated copper (except for some dark phones). but the difference when quality of wire is so high, gets minimized. in this case, i prefer this mix. mids and highs look a bit closer, thanks to silver plated copper, while lows keep their texture intact, thanks to copper
    i'd wish an 8 cores version cable of this wire.
    [​IMG]
    wire used:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/1000007736919.html
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    links:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/32996895840.html
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/32995698807.html
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/33002688074.html

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
    subwoof3r, fokta and superuser1 like this.
  11. fokta
    OMG... why not this first before 165... well.. just enjoy it first

12. Broquen
    Hi! Compared to stock one (ordered 2.5 balanced too) there's more clarity and some more presence in the low/mid high freqs. All seems to be a bit better, a bit clearer (but only a bit, these are nuances), maybe due to this and background noise being improved too.
    I'm very bad judging soundstage.
    Regarding separation, clarity helps with this and I can hear a little improvement sometimes.

On the other hand, I found it respects v2 sound fullness (silver plated cables subtracts some weight in comparison) but bass is maybe a pinch cleaner. Dynamics are at a similar level, there's no difference to my ears (maybe it can benefit at very low volumes due to improvement in background noise, don't know).

Please note that I'm using a warm source most of the time. When I use a more balanced sounding one like ES100, I think that maybe a pure copper version of the cable could match the v2 too (and maybe be a better choice, but I like this mixed sound anyway for the added clarity).

I'll look for a good single crystal copper one and compare (don't know if same cable in copper version can be found with straight mmcx connectors). If not, I'll try with some UPOCC, but these are expensive to my budget and the 70€ that I paid, are already close to the limit.

All in all, I feel like I'm taking best from v2 with that cable (and a touch of eq when connected to ES100), but I'm aware that NC5v2 can still improve with a better source, due to my limited options in that regard.

superuser1 and hakuzen like this.
  13. hakuzen
    cable 170 is upocc copper litz, and straight mmcx. but it's 86€ (shipping included, $5 sales coupon applied). better conductivity and plugs

Broquen likes this.
  14. hakuzen
    don't worry. difference is so subtle that i'll need longer sessions to confirm it. any taiwan 7n frozen up-occ is worth it.
    think you can wait for 8 cores litz version instead..

fokta likes this.
First

Back
113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122
124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133
Next

Last