Looking for portable headphones/ earphones/IEM for trip hop/electro music (150$ budget)
Sep 13, 2012 at 3:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Mr Vibe

New Head-Fier
Hello,

after reading many threads I post here to have some suggestions for my particular use. 

To sum it up here is what I'm looking for:

- around 150$ budget
- good isolation (I will use them mainly in metro, train, bus etc..)
- comfy (I listen to music..a lot)
- suited for smartphone audio source (my LG 2X has a Wolfson DAC and I'm currently using Neutron player)
- fun to listen to (they don't need to be too analytic/ neutral as soon as the sound is balanced)
- solid (removable cable and available spares would be a plus if it's a headphone)
- suited for trip hop (deep bass, good vocals and soundstage needed), but I listen to all music that have a strong rythm (I'm a drummer) from hip hop to electro to alternative/ experimental rock/ metal
- bands I mainly listen to: trentemoller, kalkenbrenner, the XX, royksopp, parov stellar, depth affect, nightmares on wax, NIN, tool, isis, deftones, queens of the stone age, smashing pumpkins, radiohead  etc.. 

What is not so important:
- type (headphone /earphone /IEM)
- brand
- design
- size
- weight

IEM/ headphones I already have: Meelectronics A161P, CC51, Audio Technica ATH-M50, Philips Uptown. Most of them are all rounders and not meant for a particular style of music, so this time I'd like a more dedicated unit.  

What would you suggest? 

Sep 14, 2012 at 8:08 AM Post #4 of 15
Yes the MC5s only cost 50 bucks...

But, IMHO, adding the NRB Mod will save you a buck or two.

Please Note: You should never purchase anything that you cannot return if unsatisfied.

Jim

Sep 14, 2012 at 9:35 AM Post #5 of 15
Sep 14, 2012 at 9:49 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:
Never had problems with the returns :wink:

Here is a link for the NRB Mod (I didn't know what it was):
http://www.head-fi.org/t/626457/nrb-mod-nut-rattlin-bass-from-an-ety-yes-yes-yes-how-to-nrb-mod

I looked at the Yamaha EPH-100 IEM that a headfi member suggested and they seem very good too for what I'm looking for.

"Fun, isolation, detail, soundstage." This is it :) And strong/ deep but not leaking bass

Be aware too of the probs with the Yamis...

Good Luck, Jim

Sep 14, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #7 of 15
The JVC FXD80, Sony EX600, GR07, UETF10Pro and Klipsch Image X10 are great sounding and will match well with genres music because they all offers deep tight punchy bass with good detailed mids, highs and fairly wide soundstage.

Sep 14, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:
The JVC FXD80, Sony EX600, GR07, UETF10Pro and Klipsch Image X10 are great sounding and will match well with genres music because they all offers deep tight punchy bass with good detailed mids, highs and fairly wide soundstage.

Ok, I will check them all 
L3000.gif

Dec 7, 2013 at 6:15 AM Post #10 of 15
I'm at it again, my Meelectronics A161P failed on me (cable) so I need an update for the same music genres (electro, trip hop..) and a good noise isolation 
darthsmile.gif

they need to be strong/ qualitative too as I will be using them at the gym 

Dec 7, 2013 at 6:30 AM Post #11 of 15
I know your budget is ~$150, but I pretty much listen to only electronic. I bought many iems and portables in the >$200 range, and if I could do it all over I'd get some used triple fis or some ck10s.... Those are the best I've ever found for the genre, and going significantly more in price I haven't found anything better. Just my opinion, and obviously I learned the hard way about buying multiple expensive headphones when I should've gone the used route and gotten what I really wanted. Good luck on find what's right for you.

Dec 7, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #12 of 15
Buying used is a good advice, that's what I did for my Audio Technica WS99 that I got for half its original price. It is perfect for electro but not the best option to get out or exercise. The only thing is that my two last pairs of IEM failed so I worry about long term durability of IEMs in general compared to other types of headphones. I plan to use them at the gym (power lifting, crossfit..) and all noisy environments (bus, train, etc..). 

Dec 7, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #13 of 15
  Buying used is a good advice, that's what I did for my Audio Technica WS99 that I got for half its original price. It is perfect for electro but not the best option to get out or exercise. The only thing is that my two last pairs of IEM failed so I worry about long term durability of IEMs in general compared to other types of headphones. I plan to use them at the gym (power lifting, crossfit..) and all noisy environments (bus, train, etc..). 

Either one of my two options will outlast you in the gym.  UEs only because they're heavily modifiable, but the ck10s are the smallest yet toughest IEM I've ever owned (especially the cable).  Any universal IEM will have perfect isolation with comply tips of your preference (either the sport or "T" series).

Dec 8, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #14 of 15
I did quite a few researches and these are the options I ended with:

- yamaha eph 100
- vsonic gr07
- jvc fxd80
- sony xb90ex
- soundmagic e30

specific for sport:

- jlabs jbud epic
- sennheiser cx685i
- lg tone
- yurbuds limited edition
- meelectronics m6
- monster isport

what I'm looking for:

- durability
- good isolation
- confort
- good for electro/ trip hop...

Dec 8, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #15 of 15
If want the most amazing sub bass you cannot go wrong with the xb90ex. I have a pair and it literally feels like a movie theater when playing down low :). I also listen to trentemoller and parov coincidently :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back