Little Dot MKIII Tube Rolling
Jun 20, 2008 at 5:10 AM Post #1,051 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by sinisterm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So if anyone have ordered from that seller, who had what he ordered, I'd be glad to hear it. Because I am quite sure I am not getting what I ordered. And if karkas4 is reading this thread, please contact me. It is not a big amount of money, but I just can't stand these kind of deals.

Peace out.

I ordered the same tubes about a month ago and they arrived within about 10 days....I had no problems with this seller...

Jun 25, 2008 at 3:21 AM Post #1,052 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tridacnid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
E95F?

That's what I said when I found them. The designation means mil spec. The Tubes I bought are PQ (premium quality) E95F Amperex. They sound amazing but are hard as hell to find. If you ever see a pair for sale they are worth it,provided they are good to go and tested.

I'm still gob smacked by the SQ of these tubes. Got 2 pair for 18 bucks, they test 120% to boot. I don't think the guy knew what he had. It was a massive tube store,50 pages of tubes to sift through to find these buried treasures.

Peete.

Jun 25, 2008 at 3:24 AM Post #1,053 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by oatmeal769 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My sentiments exactly. The 8161's are my favorite so far, followed by the Russians I got from Peete.

Those Russian tubes are fantastic for Metal eh oatmeal
smily_headphones1.gif
I have a hard time yanking them out when it comes time for a change of pace..
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Jun 25, 2008 at 4:19 AM Post #1,054 of 3,408
I have a fairly dumb question........when using the MKIII as a preamp (to my main rigs amps) do I have to have the headphones socket occupied with the HD650's ?
redface.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't know why I haven't asked this question sooner.....nothing about this in the manual.

Peete.

Jun 25, 2008 at 4:34 AM Post #1,055 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's what I said when I found them. The designation means mil spec. The Tubes I bought are PQ (premium quality) E95F Amperex. They sound amazing but are hard as hell to find. If you ever see a pair for sale they are worth it,provided they are good to go and tested.

I'm still gob smacked by the SQ of these tubes. Got 2 pair for 18 bucks, they test 120% to boot. I don't think the guy knew what he had. It was a massive tube store,50 pages of tubes to sift through to find these buried treasures.

Peete.

Dang....I tried getting ahold of those right after you 1st mentioned them & the guy had only 1 single tube left
frown.gif
Sounds like they're worth continuing to (im)patiently keep looking for though.

I recently got a pr of the Amperex Bugle Boys from Skylab....I thought I was having a nice little love affair with the 8161s, but for the moment she's been kicked to the curb
eek.gif
! I'll report back with some more detailed impressions after they've had a chance to burn in a little, but for now....silky smooth across the entire freq range & respond so well to every type of music I've thrown at them
biggrin.gif
Yep, they're perma-grin material!

Jun 25, 2008 at 4:47 AM Post #1,056 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by dantztiludrop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dang....I tried getting ahold of those right after you 1st mentioned them & the guy had only 1 single tube left
frown.gif

I recently got a pr of the Amperex Bugle Boys from Skylab....I thought I was having a nice little love affair with the 8161s, but for the moment she's been kicked to the curb
eek.gif
! I'll report back with some more detailed impressions after they've had a chance to burn in a little, but for now....silky smooth across the entire freq range & respond so well to every type of music I've thrown at them
biggrin.gif

Aren't they kick arse tubes though. I haven't found anything negative to say about the SQ of these. They love every genre of music. I keep looking for more so I can give you guys a heads up...so far nada...bupkiss.......I search about once a week for them.

I've got just about 50 hours on the first pair of PQ's so they are giving me a thrill big time....they sounded great from the get go which was a bonus
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm not sure what the diff is between the PQ and bugle boys are, most likely same build (large heavy duty D getter with small gray plates) just tighter tolerances on the PQ's for the military.

Peete.

Jun 25, 2008 at 7:17 AM Post #1,057 of 3,408
Ok, I'm about ready to buy a set of Mullard 8161's and I don't know where to buy them from.

I've found two sellers on ebay

Mullard M8161 / CV4015 Mil. Spec. Little Dot Amp EF92 - eBay (item 280238281182 end time Jun-26-08 22:14:03 PDT)

and

EF92 6CQ6 M8161 CV4015 Mullard Tube Matched Quads - eBay (item 170211927692 end time Jul-18-08 10:54:30 PDT)

The first link is for a pair and the second is for a quad. What's throwing me off is that they're selling for almost the same price. I was about ready to buy the quad set until I noticed that in the pictures, the stamping appears to be a bit different between the two sellers. Does one "stamping" indicate a better tube than the other? Which one do I buy!?

Jun 25, 2008 at 10:50 AM Post #1,058 of 3,408
Has anyone made a list of compatible power tubes for the MK Line? I'm sure it can be found somewhere in this thread but it is much too long to search for it at this point. I have an MKIV. Does this accept the same power tubes as the lower mk models?

I came across this list for driver tubes:

MK DRIVER TUBES
EF92 Compatibles: EF92, CV131, M8161, CV4015, 6065, 6CQ6, W77, 9D6

EF95 Compatibles: EF95, 5654, 6AK5, 6ZH1P-EV, 6J1, M8100, 403B, 5591, CV5216, CV8246, 6069, CV4010, CV10442, CV10100, CV8159, CV8225, CV850

Back to power tubes:

6H30Pi-EH Electro Harmonix -> Are these considered the top of line? Does anyone have any other recommendations? I need to find a back up pair so I might as well try for the best and use the stocks as my back ups.

Jun 25, 2008 at 1:51 PM Post #1,059 of 3,408
Quote:

Those Russian tubes are fantastic for Metal eh oatmeal
smily_headphones1.gif
I have a hard time yanking them out when it comes time for a change of pace..
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Yep, they're a great contrast to the 8161's!

DEFINITELY let me know if you see any of those bugle-boys...

Jun 25, 2008 at 2:21 PM Post #1,060 of 3,408
Quote:

I have a fairly dumb question........when using the MKIII as a preamp (to my main rigs amps) do I have to have the headphones socket occupied with the HD650's ?
redface.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't know why I haven't asked this question sooner.....nothing about this in the manual.

Peete.

Nope. You can just have the amp sitting there looking fine all by itself.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 25, 2008 at 2:27 PM Post #1,061 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Project22a /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, I'm about ready to buy a set of Mullard 8161's and I don't know where to buy them from.

I've found two sellers on ebay

Mullard M8161 / CV4015 Mil. Spec. Little Dot Amp EF92 - eBay (item 280238281182 end time Jun-26-08 22:14:03 PDT)

and

EF92 6CQ6 M8161 CV4015 Mullard Tube Matched Quads - eBay (item 170211927692 end time Jul-18-08 10:54:30 PDT)

The first link is for a pair and the second is for a quad. What's throwing me off is that they're selling for almost the same price. I was about ready to buy the quad set until I noticed that in the pictures, the stamping appears to be a bit different between the two sellers. Does one "stamping" indicate a better tube than the other? Which one do I buy!?

There are differences of opinion on this topic, but the majority feel that the "full sized" Mullard Shield ones, sound better. Some of the 1/2 shield models were exports or OEM types.

The ones that Yen sells (pair) are the full shield ones. The other advantage is that Yen is testing and matching them, and he backs up what he sells.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 25, 2008 at 2:32 PM Post #1,062 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by dantztiludrop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
frown.gif

eek.gif
biggrin.gif

Dantztiludrop! Hey, haven't seen you around for a while!
smily_headphones1.gif

Those "Bugle Boys" are something else! They are indeed hard to find, but when you do....tube rolling slows to dead stop!
smily_headphones1.gif
Very much the premium tube! Keepers for sure.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 25, 2008 at 9:14 PM Post #1,063 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope. You can just have the amp sitting there looking fine all by itself.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks Pench,

Tomorrow the MK III squares off against the MC-7R (fed by the Zero to main rig) in the final chapter of the mini-review Part II
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Jun 25, 2008 at 9:17 PM Post #1,064 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by falang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone made a list of compatible power tubes for the MK Line? I'm sure it can be found somewhere in this thread but it is much too long to search for it at this point. I have an MKIV. Does this accept the same power tubes as the lower mk models?

I came across this list for driver tubes:

MK DRIVER TUBES
EF92 Compatibles: EF92, CV131, M8161, CV4015, 6065, 6CQ6, W77, 9D6

EF95 Compatibles: EF95, 5654, 6AK5, 6ZH1P-EV, 6J1, M8100, 403B, 5591, CV5216, CV8246, 6069, CV4010, CV10442, CV10100, CV8159, CV8225, CV850

Back to power tubes:

6H30Pi-EH Electro Harmonix -> Are these considered the top of line? Does anyone have any other recommendations? I need to find a back up pair so I might as well try for the best and use the stocks as my back ups.

There are NOS DR versions of the 6H30Pi but the cost is astronomical (Pench has a pair) @ 200 US per pair IIRC. The EH golds are the best you can do in that type without busting the bank (too much)
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Jun 25, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #1,065 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by oatmeal769 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, they're a great contrast to the 8161's!

DEFINITELY let me know if you see any of those bugle-boys...

To clarify what I'm talking about and what D is talking about are tw0 different tubes from the same family (I would imagine). One is PQ E95F (white chalk plain label no bugle boy logo) and the other, are EF95 bugle boys
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll keep looking ...as soon as I find some I'll post a link...then it's first come first serve from the vendor
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

PS I'll keep out of it since I have 2 pairs and don't need a third set for some time to come, if the famous longevity of these PQ variants is to be believed. They are built like tanks I must say, very thick getter and solid glass envelopes. Quite a bit heavier than the stock GE's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back