Little Dot MKIII Tube Rolling
Jun 25, 2008 at 9:55 PM Post #1,066 of 3,408
Jun 26, 2008 at 12:59 AM Post #1,067 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heres a link for a pair (I think)

ISO Components - Inventory Search Results - Free Locator Service and Stocking Distributor For Electronic Components and Electrical Parts

Peete.

Yes, those should be like yours PP.

A lot of people have never seen a real "Bugle Boy" tube. For those who haven't, it has a little cartoon "tube boy" dancing on there, blowing his bugle. It's very cute to look at, even more startling to listen too.
smily_headphones1.gif
Both the PQ's and Bugle Boys have excellent sound quality and are built to last. I know for sure the Bugle Boys are made specifically for audio and I believe the PQ's are as well. PQ meaning Premium Quality.

Both of these types are from back in the day when Amperex was "Audio" in a big way. Their tubes are kind of like the Sylvania's, in that, I have never heard a bad one.
smily_headphones1.gif

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a PQ if that is all that can be found. When the Bugle Boys show up, they don't last very long at all, maybe 1/2 hour or so if BIN is there.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 26, 2008 at 11:05 AM Post #1,068 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Project22a /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The first link is for a pair and the second is for a quad. What's throwing me off is that they're selling for almost the same price. I was about ready to buy the quad set until I noticed that in the pictures, the stamping appears to be a bit different between the two sellers. Does one "stamping" indicate a better tube than the other? Which one do I buy!?

Like Penchum already mentioned, the shielded M8161 is the better sounding tube, also a matched pair will give you a more realistic soundstage, sometimes these NOS tubes can drift quite a bit in the few decades since they're made and I've had a few experiences with unmatched NOS tubes collapsing the soundstage. Anyway, these M-series tubes will last 5000+ hours, so I wouldn't worry about them burning out and needing a spare pair handy, you won't need 'em.
wink.gif

- DoA

Jun 26, 2008 at 12:55 PM Post #1,070 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by falang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone made a list of compatible power tubes for the MK Line? I have an MKIV. Does this accept the same power tubes as the lower mk models?

Back to power tubes:

6H30Pi-EH Electro Harmonix -> Are these considered the top of line? Does anyone have any other recommendations? I need to find a back up pair so I might as well try for the best and use the stocks as my back ups.

Hi falang!

The power tube issue catches everyone off guard sometimes.
smily_headphones1.gif

The MKIV comes stock with the 6H30PI-NOS version and the MKIVse comes with the 6H30PI-EH Golds. The golds are considered the better tubes as far as sound quality goes. The NOS's are nothing to sneeze at either, so they would make a great back-up set.
smily_headphones1.gif

I do have the (completely insane to purchase) 6H30PI-DR's and they are truly the top of the line in SQ. It's the price that makes them nuts.
smily_headphones1.gif

To clarify, the MKII and MKIII use the 6N6P and 6N6P-PI power tubes. In order for these two models to use the better 6H30PI family of tubes, they must have the resistor mod done first.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 26, 2008 at 3:40 PM Post #1,072 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by falang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Penchum,

Thanks! Whoever invented tube nomenclature must of intended it to be confusing. Or, perhaps my brain needs an upgrade. Despite that fact, I think I got it.

Ow ya, the numbering schemes alone will give your brain some drain!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 27, 2008 at 1:04 PM Post #1,073 of 3,408
Hello,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shamu144
I have just bought some EF95 family Sylvania tube for my LDMKIII, on Ebay Sylvania 6AK5/5654 black plate square getter...

I think you'll be the guinea pig (first).
smily_headphones1.gif
It would be nice to know what you think of them.
smily_headphones1.gif

I have just received them. Excellent transaction BTW. They don't have 3 hours of use, so please, allow me some more time before giving any serious impressions (my first tube roll)...
As a general comment, I find it difficult to assess tubes quality without possibility of A/B compairing them, since you need to let the amp running off for a long time before rolling tubes.
frown.gif

However, right out of their (very old) box, I can definitely say with no doubt that these tubes are more detailed than the stock ones (stock ones have only aprox 50 hours on them). I am using some CD test recordings, and I can now clearly ear inaudible/muffled details with stock tubes. As for extension, I haven't noticed anything really different yet. As for soundstage, I would say a better individual separation of instruments, but at the same time, slightly narrower soundstage. I believe this tubes have still to burn in and open up, and improvement should be more apparent after 40/50 hours...

Anyway, it looks very interesting, though the LD MKIII sound has not dramatically changed after this tube swap. How much a change on global sound do you expect from tube rolling, between stock tubes and the best tubes available... Is the LD MKIII becoming an entirely different animal, or are improvements noticeable but minor.

Thank you for your answers,

Jun 27, 2008 at 2:20 PM Post #1,074 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by shamu144 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello,

I have just received them. Excellent transaction BTW. They don't have 3 hours of use, so please, allow me some more time before giving any serious impressions (my first tube roll)...
As a general comment, I find it difficult to assess tubes quality without possibility of A/B compairing them, since you need to let the amp running off for a long time before rolling tubes.
frown.gif

However, right out of their (very old) box, I can definitely say with no doubt that these tubes are more detailed than the stock ones (stock ones have only aprox 50 hours on them). I am using some CD test recordings, and I can now clearly ear inaudible/muffled details with stock tubes. As for extension, I haven't noticed anything really different yet. As for soundstage, I would say a better individual separation of instruments, but at the same time, slightly narrower soundstage. I believe this tubes have still to burn in and open up, and improvement should be more apparent after 40/50 hours...

Anyway, it looks very interesting, though the LD MKIII sound has not dramatically changed after this tube swap. How much a change on global sound do you expect from tube rolling, between stock tubes and the best tubes available... Is the LD MKIII becoming an entirely different animal, or are improvements noticeable but minor.

Thank you for your answers,

It is like you said, each tube will be different in "total" impact, but you can't really tell that until they are done "maturing".
smily_headphones1.gif
Hang in there!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 30, 2008 at 8:34 AM Post #1,075 of 3,408
Which tubes would be best for the DT880's?
I listen to Classical, Jazz and some Rock: just bought the 6Zh1P-EV's. Did not want to spend much money at first. Hope I like them.
And, how do you change the jumper switches? Never mind. I found them. A little to deep but txs to some of your ideas: I will try the hemostats.

Jul 4, 2008 at 4:34 AM Post #1,076 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listen to Classical, Jazz and some Rock: just bought the 6Zh1P-EV's. Did not want to spend much money at first. Hope I like them.
And, how do you change the jumper switches? Never mind. I found them. A little to deep but txs to some of your ideas: I will try the hemostats.

I love the GE JAN 5654W for jazz actually, there's something magical about those tubes with jazz music...
cool.gif

- DoA

Jul 4, 2008 at 12:24 PM Post #1,077 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The best tube for DT880 are quite clearly 6ZH1P EV, 6J1P EV (6Ж1П-ЕВ) This will be definitely your preferential tube.
wink.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 4, 2008 at 5:01 PM Post #1,078 of 3,408
Whew - just finished reading the entire thread! Thanks all for all the great info! My MKIII is just about a week old and I'm already itching to get to some tube rolling. I'm going to wait a while, although I immdiately replaced the stock tubes with M8161s and will do my inital break-in with those. I've got about 30 hours on them so far and things already sound GREAT! I can't wait to see what happens.

Perhaps the single greatest tip I got was the ebay search string posted a while back - got an email this morning and it shows some sylvanias - are these the ones everyone (particularly penchum) are raving about? 4 NOS Sylvania JAN 6AK5/5654/EF95/6J1 Vacuum Tubes NIB - eBay (item 130234494819 end time Jul-05-08 03:24:39 PDT)

It seems like these things are getting more expensive (and likely harder to find) as we talk more about them... so maybe I should grab some now for later use if they're the "right" ones?

Anyway so far absolutely love my amp. My Grados seem less "edgy" and more under control, and my Beyer DT250s have never sounded so good. (of course now I'm itching to pick upsome Senn HD600s...) Even played some Team Fortress 2 and the echo on indoor levels had me turning around and looking behind me! So cool! Thanks again for all the great info...

S.

Jul 4, 2008 at 9:45 PM Post #1,079 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottieB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whew - just finished reading the entire thread! Thanks all for all the great info! My MKIII is just about a week old and I'm already itching to get to some tube rolling. I'm going to wait a while, although I immdiately replaced the stock tubes with M8161s and will do my inital break-in with those. I've got about 30 hours on them so far and things already sound GREAT! I can't wait to see what happens.

Perhaps the single greatest tip I got was the ebay search string posted a while back - got an email this morning and it shows some sylvanias - are these the ones everyone (particularly penchum) are raving about? 4 NOS Sylvania JAN 6AK5/5654/EF95/6J1 Vacuum Tubes NIB - eBay (item 130234494819 end time Jul-05-08 03:24:39 PDT)

It seems like these things are getting more expensive (and likely harder to find) as we talk more about them... so maybe I should grab some now for later use if they're the "right" ones?

Anyway so far absolutely love my amp. My Grados seem less "edgy" and more under control, and my Beyer DT250s have never sounded so good. (of course now I'm itching to pick upsome Senn HD600s...) Even played some Team Fortress 2 and the echo on indoor levels had me turning around and looking behind me! So cool! Thanks again for all the great info...

S.

SB,

It's great to hear your MKIII is doing well, and you too of course.
smily_headphones1.gif
Tubes, tubes the musical fruit, the more you buy, the more you .......
smily_headphones1.gif
Obviously ready for a holiday!!
biggrin.gif
The Sylvania's you linked too are the black plate, square getter type. We don't know yet whether or not they have the same SQ as the black plate, round halo getter versions. shamu144 took a set of 4 for the team, and he's burning them in now. He'll let us know what he thinks pretty soon.

Up until this point, all 5654/6AK5 models we have run into that are Sylvania, regardless of age, that have the black plates and round halo getters, have a superior SQ to them. So, the hunt is on and the search continues.
smily_headphones1.gif

The 6ZH1P-EV Russian tubes are a "must have" for almost everyone. They are super special.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 5, 2008 at 7:08 PM Post #1,080 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Project22a /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, I'm about ready to buy a set of Mullard 8161's and I don't know where to buy them from.

I've found two sellers on ebay

Mullard M8161 / CV4015 Mil. Spec. Little Dot Amp EF92 - eBay (item 280238281182 end time Jun-26-08 22:14:03 PDT)

and

EF92 6CQ6 M8161 CV4015 Mullard Tube Matched Quads - eBay (item 170211927692 end time Jul-18-08 10:54:30 PDT)

The first link is for a pair and the second is for a quad. What's throwing me off is that they're selling for almost the same price. I was about ready to buy the quad set until I noticed that in the pictures, the stamping appears to be a bit different between the two sellers. Does one "stamping" indicate a better tube than the other? Which one do I buy!?

I have both pairs. Both sound great with my Sennheisers and my Goldrings but the small shield version lacks "musical weight" when I use them with my AKG k501s, the notes seem to have too much float to them and are too light. The large shield version does not have this problem. Although I sometimes prefer the added airiness of the small shields when I listen to my Goldrings and Senns.

Right now the only tubes I need are the Mullard 8161 large shield and the Russian 6ZH1P-EV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back