Little Dot MKIII Tube Rolling
Dec 18, 2007 at 4:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3,397

RogerB

100+ Head-Fier
I have spent several hours today using the search feature to find a thread on tube rolling for the little dot mkiii but have had no luck finding one. There's one for every other tube amp in the world...but no mkiii.

If I've missed it, please point me in the right direction.

If there's not one, please post what tubes you most enjoy with your MKIII.

I ordered an MKIII the other day and will be using the stock tubes for a while but will certainly want to roll some tubes at some point.

So, c'mon....post me your favorites and tell us why you like them.

Dec 18, 2007 at 5:16 AM Post #2 of 3,397
you can replace the stock tubes with this:
EF95, M8100, CV4010, 6J1 -- all with jumper off

Dec 18, 2007 at 5:29 AM Post #3 of 3,397
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bozz_Keren /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes, all the tubes that can be used with the MKIII are listed on the ebay site. What I want to know is what tubes have people used with their MKIII and which configuration do they like the best...and why.

Dec 18, 2007 at 5:43 AM Post #4 of 3,397
oh, i'll be getting M8100 and EF95 in couple of days, will tell you the difference after burn-in

Dec 18, 2007 at 6:00 AM Post #5 of 3,397
Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have spent several hours today using the search feature to find a thread on tube rolling for the little dot mkiii but have had no luck finding one. There's one for every other tube amp in the world...but no mkiii.

If I've missed it, please point me in the right direction.

If there's not one, please post what tubes you most enjoy with your MKIII.

I ordered an MKIII the other day and will be using the stock tubes for a while but will certainly want to roll some tubes at some point.

So, c'mon....post me your favorites and tell us why you like them.

now there is one.
smily_headphones1.gif

take the initiative. buy a bunch of tubes. start rolling and comparing and post your impressions. get people interested and excited about doing the same.

Dec 18, 2007 at 6:01 AM Post #6 of 3,397
Quote:

now there is one.
smily_headphones1.gif

take the initiative. buy a bunch of tubes. start rolling and comparing and post your impressions. get people interested and excited about doing the same.

Dec 18, 2007 at 6:12 AM Post #7 of 3,397
Now we're talkin' Bozz Keren!! I will be anxiously waiting to hear your opinions of the M8100 and EF95!!!

Dec 18, 2007 at 10:07 AM Post #8 of 3,397
The M8100 is the British mil version of EF95 and is the same tube as CV4010, you will sometimes see the same tube co-branded as M8100/CV4010. Some tubes to look forward to are the more popular American 6AK5 variants. Some of the best are the US Army 6AK5 (US mil-spec tubes in general are usually very good), RCA Command (the Command line is RCA's premium consumer brand), GE Five Star (five star line is GE's premium brand), Sylvania Gold Brand (the Gold Brand are mil-spec tubes, there are a lot of rebaged GB's, however, so you want to make sure the tubes you buy have golden legs), Amperex made some 6AK5W (the W is for Improved, go figure) that were well received as well. There are quite a few other manufacturers of 6AK5 as it's a relatively popular tube back in the day.

The Western Electric version of the 6AK5 is called the 403A. There is an improved version called the 403B that was manufactured by a few companies besides WE as well.

The communist-block version of the 6AK5 is 6J1P, 6J1P-EV is the improved version.

Some of the other 6AK5 equivalents that I know of that are not listed in the ebay ad are CV850, DP61, PM05. There might be others.
wink.gif

EDIT: Here's a link to the Yen Audio Store's little dot upgrade tubes page, a lot of head-fiers have PM'd me for this info so here it is!

Dec 18, 2007 at 10:17 AM Post #9 of 3,397
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bozz_Keren /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And the EF92/CV131/M8161 with jumpers on. Which is a plus since the EF92 are slightly cheaper than EF95 and there are lots of tube rolling options there to explore as well.
wink.gif

Dec 18, 2007 at 11:58 PM Post #10 of 3,397
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The M8100 is the British mil version of EF95 and is the same tube as CV4010, you will sometimes see the same tube co-branded as M8100/CV4010. IMO it is not much different sound quality wise than the regular Mullard EF95 although it's worth a try if you can find it under $20.

Some tubes to look forward to are the more popular American 6AK5 variants. Some of the best are the US Army 6AK5 (US mil-spec tubes in general are usually very good), RCA Five Stars (the Five Star line is RCA's premium consumer brand), Sylvania Gold Brand (the Gold Brand are mil-spec tubes, there are a lot of rebaged GB's, however, so you want to make sure the tubes you buy have golden legs), Amperex made some 6AK5W (the W is for Improved, go figure) that were well received as well. There are quite a few other manufacturers of 6AK5 as it's a relatively popular tube back in the day.

The Western Electric version of the 6AK5 is called the 403A.

The communist-block version of the 6AK5 is 6J1P.

Some of the other 6AK5 equivalents that I know of that are not listed in the ebay ad are CV850, DP61, PM05. There might be others.
wink.gif

6AK5 is hard to find, unlike M8100 or EF95, btw
MKIII/IV can use WE403A? as far as i know only MKIV SE can used that, cmiiw

Dec 19, 2007 at 2:13 AM Post #11 of 3,397
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The M8100 is the British mil version of EF95 and is the same tube as CV4010, you will sometimes see the same tube co-branded as M8100/CV4010. IMO it is not much different sound quality wise than the regular Mullard EF95 although it's worth a try if you can find it under $20.

Some tubes to look forward to are the more popular American 6AK5 variants. Some of the best are the US Army 6AK5 (US mil-spec tubes in general are usually very good), RCA Five Stars (the Five Star line is RCA's premium consumer brand), Sylvania Gold Brand (the Gold Brand are mil-spec tubes, there are a lot of rebaged GB's, however, so you want to make sure the tubes you buy have golden legs), Amperex made some 6AK5W (the W is for Improved, go figure) that were well received as well. There are quite a few other manufacturers of 6AK5 as it's a relatively popular tube back in the day.

The Western Electric version of the 6AK5 is called the 403A.

The communist-block version of the 6AK5 is 6J1P.

wink.gif

A good start for a list. One small error, you have the GE 5 Star and the RCA Command switched. The GE 5 Star is a nice tube in the MKIII, the RCA command is not outstanding but smooth and quiet, both were the Hand Picked Broadcast line. The Mullard M8100 is a very Smooth and rounded sounding tube which you would expect from a Mullard. They are especially nice as you break the amp in. There is also the Western Electric 415A, not bad at all.

Another tube I personally prefer very much AFTER amp break-in, is the Tung-Sol 6AK5 Black Plate, a very smooth tube like the Mullard but with more detail at the frequency extremes. The best of all worlds. The plain-Jane RCA 5654 is not a bad tube at all and is under rated. Also, the later Sylvania JAN 5654W green label is a bit hard, but has some very good transient attack for Heavy rock or Metal. It is actually pretty difficult to make that amp sound bad. If it does, it's probably your cables or your source. JMO

Dec 19, 2007 at 5:13 AM Post #12 of 3,397
Negatron, thanks for you input here. It was your MKIII review and posts that were my deciding factor in purchasing the MKIII.

When mine arrives and I have any problems or questions, I hope you don't mind me soliciting your help/advice.

Everyone please continue posting your favorite tubes for your MKIII !!!!!!

Dec 19, 2007 at 4:03 PM Post #13 of 3,397
Quote:

Negatron, thanks for you input here. It was your MKIII review and posts that were my deciding factor in purchasing the MKIII.

When mine arrives and I have any problems or questions, I hope you don't mind me soliciting your help/advice.

Everyone please continue posting your favorite tubes for your MKIII !!!!!!

No problem asking anything. I am sure you will be very pleased with your purchase and in the rare event of a problem David provides responsive service second to none. A small bit of advice, don't get too trapped into tube rolling, just enjoy the amp and music. That's what it's for.

Dec 19, 2007 at 4:46 PM Post #14 of 3,397
Quote:

Originally Posted by Negatron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No problem asking anything. I am sure you will be very pleased with your purchase and in the rare event of a problem David provides responsive service second to none. A small bit of advice, don't get too trapped into tube rolling, just enjoy the amp and music. That's what it's for.

Excellent advice - this is a great sounding amp with the stock tubes.

Dec 20, 2007 at 4:02 AM Post #15 of 3,397
Thanks for the advice guys! I actually ordered an extra set of stock tubes when I placed my order with David. It will probably be several months before I even think about tube rolling.

Yep...it's really all about enjoying the amp and music. Sometimes I think maybe we lose sight of that fact.

Thanks again for the advice guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back