Little Dot MKIII Tube Rolling
Jun 17, 2008 at 3:13 PM Post #1,021 of 3,408
Oh, I found the store alright, I just didn't figure I should also check the actual item pics! You were right, there are 6H6N printed on the tubes. 8 pieces is a bit too many for me though. I'll probably wait and/or PM them about it.
So these re the "same" tubes you bought? How long did the shipping take? And how was the packing?

Jun 17, 2008 at 3:17 PM Post #1,022 of 3,408
I have some short thoughts on my 4 sets of tubes that someone might find helpful.

6ZH1P-EV - (aka VOSHOD 6J1P-EV) These are my favorites. Great instrument separation and detail. Tight bass. Nice airy sound without sacrificing weight and depth. They have performed great with any pair of cans that I have thrown at them from Grados to Senns. They are the perfect all arounder. They are at their best with Rock, Funk, Jazz and rap and get thumbs up from me for Soul, R&B, Country and classical.

Tung Sol/National 403B - These would be my favorites if I had a better source. (I have a new DAC on the way). My current set up is just my MKIII plugged a mid level soundcard. The Tung Sols ruthlessly expose my source for what it is and everything sounds compressed, dark and there is a distinct lack of instrument separation and detail. However, they sound awesome with my standalone CD player which is by no means Hi-Fi. I am anxiously waiting to hear these tubes with my new Zero DAC followed shortly by a discrete opamp. They have a very silky sultry sound that still marries quite well with my K-501s despite showing the obvious shortcomings of my setup. However, I am still a bit underwhelmed at how they sound with Sennhieser cans as they lack "air" and sound too full. I am hoping that a discrete opamp will give them some much needed breathing space.

Mullard 8161 - Awesome. These babies and the HD-580s must be soulmates. I cannot really describe how great this pairing is. This pairing handles everything I throw at it. Excellent detail and separation.

They are a tad too airy though which is great for darker Senns like the HD580s or my old pair of DR150s but with cans like Grados, Open Air Audio Technicas, and the airier AKG offerings the music lacks weight. They sound ok with the DT 880s but the sibilance was cranked up to fatiguing levels. With the K-501s the music virtually floats away from your ear. Thus I rarely keep them in because my favorite cans are the k-501s. They will probably fill in more with a better source but I don't expect their overall character to change much. A better DAC will more than likely make them more airy, depending on what opamps you use of course.

These are probably THE choice for all Sennheiser cans and probably the K-601s (I have heard these are darker and more rolled off than the 501s and 701s).

Mullard 6AM6 - My least favorite by a wide margin. They don't sound bad and I used to be quite high on them but the more I have compared them to other tubes the more I dislike them. They are thin sounding offering less air than the Mullard 8161s but at the same time offering less musical weight and fullness. I prefer them slightly to the stock tubes but that isn't saying much.

Jun 17, 2008 at 3:30 PM Post #1,023 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by ciphercomplete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have some short thoughts on my 4 sets of tubes that someone might find helpful.

6ZH1P-EV - (aka VOSHOD 6J1P-EV) These are my favorites. Great instrument separation and detail. Tight bass. Nice airy sound without sacrificing weight and depth. They have performed great with any pair of cans that I have thrown at them from Grados to Senns. They are the perfect all arounder. They are at their best with Rock, Funk, Jazz and rap and get thumbs up from me for Soul, R&B, Country and classical.

Tung Sol/National 403B - These would be my favorites if I had a better source. (I have a new DAC on the way). My current set up is just my MKIII plugged a mid level soundcard. The Tung Sols ruthlessly expose my source for what it is and everything sounds compressed, dark and there is a distinct lack of instrument separation and detail. However, they sound awesome with my standalone CD player which is by no means Hi-Fi. I am anxiously awaiting to hear these tubes with my new Zero DAC followed shortly by a discrete opamp. They have a very silky sultry sound that still marries quite well with my K-501s despite showing the obvious shortcomings of my setup. However, I am still a bit underwhelmed at how they sound with Sennhieser cans as they lack "air" and sound too full. I am hoping that a discrete opamp will give them some much needed breathing space.

Mullard 8161 - Awesome. These babies and the HD-580s must be soulmates. I cannot really describe how great this pairing is. This pairing handles everything I throw at it. Excellent detail and separation.

They are a tad too airy though which is great for darker Senns like the HD580s or my old pair of DR150s but with cans like Grados, Open Air Audio Technicas, and the airier AKG offerings the music lacks weight. They sound ok with the DT 880s but the semblance was cranked up to fatiguing levels. With the K-501s the music virtually floats away from your ear. Thus I rarely keep them in because my favorite cans are the k-501s. They will probably fill in more with a better source but I don't expect their overall character to change much. A better DAC will more than likely make them more airy, depending on what opamps you use of course.

These are probably THE choice for all Sennheiser cans and probably the K-601s (I have heard these are darker and more rolled off than the 501s and 701s).

Mullard 6AM6 - My least favorite by a wide margin. They don't sound bad and I used to be quite high on them but the more I have compared them to other tubes the more I dislike them. They are thin sounding offering less air than the Mullard 8161s but at the same time offering less musical weight and fullness. I prefer them slightly to the stock tubes but that isn't saying much.

These are Driver tubes correct? - so there is no need to change the LDIII's settings.

Jun 17, 2008 at 4:44 PM Post #1,024 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by nolla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, I found the store alright, I just didn't figure I should also check the actual item pics! You were right, there are 6H6N printed on the tubes. 8 pieces is a bit too many for me though. I'll probably wait and/or PM them about it.
So these re the "same" tubes you bought? How long did the shipping take? And how was the packing?

Those are the exact same tubes I received. I'm in the US, so shipping took a little longer than I think it will for you, but it was postmarked on the 5th and I received it on the 15th. They were well packaged, individually wrapped in foam and then set in a thick cardboard box. Overkill in my opinion, but I'm not going to complain since they made it A-OK. If they end up getting in any other tubes that I can use with my amp I'd do business with them again.

Jun 17, 2008 at 4:56 PM Post #1,025 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by corigan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those are the exact same tubes I received. I'm in the US, so shipping took a little longer than I think it will for you, but it was postmarked on the 5th and I received it on the 15th. They were well packaged, individually wrapped in foam and then set in a thick cardboard box. Overkill in my opinion, but I'm not going to complain since they made it A-OK. If they end up getting in any other tubes that I can use with my amp I'd do business with them again.

Heh, maybe I'm being careless now, but I placed a bid on 10 new 6H6Pi tubes for $19,99 + $12 shipping. If I win those I think I won't have to buy a single power tube for the rest of my life. The seller isn't the same, but he has done over 700 tube deals with 100% reliability. I also read earlier in this thread that the 6H6Pi should be "better". I'll go and see.. I have to mind those driver tubes some day as well
tongue.gif

Jun 17, 2008 at 6:35 PM Post #1,026 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpstereo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These are Driver tubes correct? - so there is no need to change the LDIII's settings.

Both pairs of Mullards can only be used in EF92 mode so you have to put the jumper pins on. The other two pairs are EF95 tubes so there is no need to put jumpers on.

Jun 17, 2008 at 9:45 PM Post #1,027 of 3,408
I’ve just recently got a few Russian NOS tubes (6Zh1P-EV, made by Voskhod radio factory) and I’m really enjoying them, listening to Opeth at the moment
smily_headphones1.gif
Great tubes! So now that I got my driver tubes what power tubes should I look for to pair with the 6Zh1P-EVs? It has probably been mentioned in this thread, but I’m really tired after a 4-day lan party
wink.gif

Jun 17, 2008 at 10:26 PM Post #1,028 of 3,408
Just got my Hytrons and WE 403Bs. Popped in the Hytrons, gave them an hour of music and then took a listen. Nice. The spatial confusion I was having is gone now. Much better imaging.

I will be listening to these for awhile before I bother trying the 403b.

Jun 17, 2008 at 10:44 PM Post #1,029 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Weez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I’ve just recently got a few Russian NOS tubes (6Zh1P-EV, made by Voskhod radio factory) and I’m really enjoying them, listening to Opeth at the moment
smily_headphones1.gif
Great tubes! So now that I got my driver tubes what power tubes should I look for to pair with the 6Zh1P-EVs? It has probably been mentioned in this thread, but I’m really tired after a 4-day lan party
wink.gif

The all Russian line up is killer for Metal
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Jun 18, 2008 at 1:13 AM Post #1,030 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by maltby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got my Hytrons and WE 403Bs. Popped in the Hytrons, gave them an hour of music and then took a listen. Nice. The spatial confusion I was having is gone now. Much better imaging.

I will be listening to these for awhile before I bother trying the 403b.

Yep, I've got some old Hytrons and they are nice.
smily_headphones1.gif
Don't forget, both of those tubes will improve with time under their belts. Usually about 45-55 hours, so things go "uphill" from here.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 18, 2008 at 7:55 AM Post #1,031 of 3,408
Hi all,

I have just bought some EF95 family Sylvania tube for my LDMKIII, on Ebay Sylvania 6AK5/5654 black plate square getter...

Do you have any ideas how these will compare to the black plate / round halo getter, or even the gold ones
confused.gif

It was not too expensive so I just though of giving it a try
redface.gif

Thanks for feedback if you have any,

Jun 18, 2008 at 9:55 AM Post #1,032 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The all Russian line up is killer for Metal
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Can you be a bit more specific about the “all Russian line up”? I’m new to the tube jungle
smily_headphones1.gif
Or do you mean that I shouldn’t change the stock power tubes because they make little difference? Or are there some Russian power tubes that I don’t know off?

Jun 18, 2008 at 1:01 PM Post #1,033 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Weez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you be a bit more specific about the “all Russian line up”? I’m new to the tube jungle
smily_headphones1.gif
Or do you mean that I shouldn’t change the stock power tubes because they make little difference? Or are there some Russian power tubes that I don’t know off?

The stock power tubes are "russians" so you just need to add the Russian 6J1P-EV (6ZH1P-EV) driver tubes.

Jun 18, 2008 at 3:05 PM Post #1,034 of 3,408
Thought so
smily_headphones1.gif
Btw, got a weird tube with the 6Zh1P-EVs, 3C18P (I think). Any info on that tube? Btw2, what does NOS mean?
tongue.gif

Jun 18, 2008 at 3:40 PM Post #1,035 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by shamu144 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all,

I have just bought some EF95 family Sylvania tube for my LDMKIII, on Ebay Sylvania 6AK5/5654 black plate square getter...

Do you have any ideas how these will compare to the black plate / round halo getter, or even the gold ones
confused.gif

It was not too expensive so I just though of giving it a try
redface.gif

Thanks for feedback if you have any,

I think you'll be the guinea pig (first).
smily_headphones1.gif
It would be nice to know what you think of them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back