Koss Portapro Thread
Apr 29, 2020 at 5:03 AM Post #1,156 of 1,312
A big shout out to Bisoy Siosan who modded a pair of my PortaPros to MMCX. Fantastic work, looks stock. I love that I can change out the cables now, depending if I am going LoFi or HiFi.

Those are the normal drivers, with Yaxi Earpads and the Drop PortaPro Headband.

Porta-Pro-MMCX.jpg

--

I would love to have a pair modded. Does anyone know someone doing cable mods?

$$$$

May 23, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #1,157 of 1,312
I finally got Yaxi pads. The ones I originally ordered shipped from Japan a month ago but got lost or delayed. Now Amazon has them in stock in their state-side warehouse apparently so like normal prime 2-day delivery. I also received a discount when I ordered two pairs even though it doesnt appear to be advertised anywhere ($20shipped for two).

Anyways, I do not like the Yaxis sound-wise. Too much mid-bass. You can find frequency response measurments for the Yaxi pads at another forum...

I also just got a khp30i. Sounds very similar to PP of course. I only gave a brief listen but preferred the PP. I could be biased as Ive been using Porta Pros for over ten years now.

So now I have two Porta Pros and one khp30i. Ill be ordering some HD414 pads as I preferred those to Yaxi even though they dont fit as nicely. The HD414s inner mounting hole is slightly large for the PP but will probably work great with khp30i.

Jun 13, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #1,160 of 1,312
No matter what other headphones I have, I keep coming back to these. The trusty old Portapro and iPod Classic combo!

Jun 14, 2020 at 6:38 AM Post #1,161 of 1,312
No matter what other headphones I have, I keep coming back to these. The trusty old Portapro and iPod Classic combo!
Yep.Same pair of Portapros for nine years now, with the Yaxi pads, and my 5G iPod video (Rockboxed). Love the set up. If you haven’t tried the Yaxi pads yet I highly recommend.

Jun 14, 2020 at 8:26 AM Post #1,162 of 1,312
IMO the Portapro is, in fact, impressive. You'd never expect a pair of cans about the size/shape of typical stock/free headphones to sound this good. I think the only competitor in its class is the Senn PX-100, and Portapro was there first.

I have a pair of PX 100s and they're great. The nice thing is they fold flat. What's not nice about them is that they fold flat. I'm always sure the next time I open them up the cables will be broken. After almost 20 years they're still ok.

Will be getting a special pair of porta pros when I get home...and will post pics.

Jun 14, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #1,163 of 1,312
I have a pair of PX 100s and they're great. The nice thing is they fold flat. What's not nice about them is that they fold flat. I'm always sure the next time I open them up the cables will be broken. After almost 20 years they're still ok.

Will be getting a special pair of porta pros when I get home...and will post pics.

My PX100 cable broke I suspect from folding then wrapping up the cable. I used it most days during college and kept in my backpack.

Still not a fan of the Yaxi pads. Added warmth that was unwanted. Also sounds a little less resolving too due to increased driver distance and denser foam I guess. HD414 pads preferred.

Jun 16, 2020 at 9:03 AM Post #1,166 of 1,312
What’s the porta pro 3.0? Is it different to the others?

Jun 17, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #1,167 of 1,312
Sooooooo I imagine it's still worth while here, but I use my Porta Pro Wireless daily for both Calls and general videos ect... gatta say I do love em. Not much isolation so works well if I'm in public,

Heck I even have quite a few people comment about them! Usually older folks who recognize them from back in the day but it's good to see them get excited to see something they remember fondly. Even better most can't believe they still exist and can be had with a wireless Bluetooth dongle now toooo!

Jun 18, 2020 at 3:17 PM Post #1,168 of 1,312
Sooooooo I imagine it's still worth while here, but I use my Porta Pro Wireless daily for both Calls and general videos ect... gatta say I do love em. Not much isolation so works well if I'm in public,

Heck I even have quite a few people comment about them! Usually older folks who recognize them from back in the day but it's good to see them get excited to see something they remember fondly. Even better most can't believe they still exist and can be had with a wireless Bluetooth dongle now toooo!
I love my Porta Pro Wireless, too. I have 2 sets, one for the office and one for home. They are the best option I've found for Zooms. Great SQ and good mic pickup.

Jul 29, 2020 at 4:15 PM Post #1,169 of 1,312
Just for fun tried the iBasso DX220Max with the good old Porta Pro. Listened to Eric Woolfson/Alan Parsons Project - Freudiana (24 bit). My Heaven, I never ever heard the Porta shine like a totally full grown headphone like this. I'm not an excellent review writer, but if you are a Max owner, just try it with the Porta and let your ears tell you all you want to know (and hear). This cheap old fashioned headphone shines even with expensieve and excellent modern quality dap's.

Aug 4, 2020 at 11:23 AM Post #1,170 of 1,312
I love my Porta Pro Wireless, too. I have 2 sets, one for the office and one for home. They are the best option I've found for Zooms. Great SQ and good mic pickup.

Just curious, which wireless Bluetooth dongle are y'all using?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back