Koss Portapro Thread
Sep 17, 2020 at 3:38 PM Post #1,187 of 1,312
Porta pro + yaxi pads + parts express band. Don't feel anything at all sitting on my head/ears, only happy listening :)

temp_ppro.JPG

Sep 17, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #1,188 of 1,312
Your head must be made of steel. That unpadded headband does not look comfortable. But it is for sure a lighweight stealth rig :)

Sep 17, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #1,191 of 1,312
Your head must be made of steel. That unpadded headband does not look comfortable. But it is for sure a lighweight stealth rig :)

No worries with comfort with the Parts Express headband. It truly is so lightweight you will never feel it.

Sep 18, 2020 at 1:20 PM Post #1,192 of 1,312

It's not uncomfortable, but for me the Parts Express headband by itself is so thin that it doesn't want to stay in place on my head and eventually keeps sliding down. I fixed this by adding a leather strap/pad to them, not really much upgrade in comfort at all but keeps it in place MUCH better. It about doubles their weight though... LOL

i-dvr7ZSQ.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2020 at 1:27 PM Post #1,193 of 1,312
the left side part of my koss porta pro broke.... any ideas how should i fix it? with glue and/or epoxy?

What broke exactly, the headband or the driver housing? Any adhesive designed for ABS plastic should work if that's what needs to be joined. Alternatively there's the Parts Express headband....

Sep 18, 2020 at 3:02 PM Post #1,194 of 1,312
It's not uncomfortable, but for me the Parts Express headband by itself is so thin that it doesn't want to stay in place on my head and eventually keeps sliding down. I fixed this by adding a leather strap/pad to them, not really much upgrade in comfort at all but keeps it in place MUCH better. It about doubles their weight though... LOL

i-dvr7ZSQ.jpg
Nice. How did you get that leather thing in through that small hole? It seems you would have had to take the metal band off the black plastic it is connecting to?

Sep 18, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #1,195 of 1,312
I recently bought a pair of porta pros.coming from sony MDR-Z1R, which I consider my reference HP. To be honest I was expecting a letdown with the koss. I am impressed by the sound these things deliver considering their pricetag.

Sep 18, 2020 at 11:56 PM Post #1,196 of 1,312
Nice. How did you get that leather thing in through that small hole? It seems you would have had to take the metal band off the black plastic it is connecting to?

Yes, just need to take one of the sides off (remove the small round plastic stopper button) then slide on the strap/pad from one end. If you want to make your own strap/pad, use 3/16" sized holes and space them apart 6-3/4", this puts the holes right at the stopper bend point on the headband. Total length of the strap/pad is 7-3/4" (1/2" from center of hole to outer edge) and width is right at 1-1/2" in the middle and tapers to 1" at the ends...

i-mcVPtvV.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2020 at 1:56 AM Post #1,197 of 1,312
Yes, just need to take one of the sides off (remove the small round plastic stopper button) then slide on the strap/pad from one end. If you want to make your own strap/pad, use 3/16" sized holes and space them apart 6-3/4", this puts the holes right at the stopper bend point on the headband. Total length of the strap/pad is 7-3/4" (1/2" from center of hole to outer edge) and width is right at 1-1/2" in the middle and tapers to 1" at the ends...

i-mcVPtvV.jpg
Beautiful. Colors too. I suppose they are the ppro and the ksc75 with the yaxi :)

Sep 20, 2020 at 6:14 AM Post #1,199 of 1,312
So I got the KSC75 recently and they are amazing but I would like to try what a warmer version of those would sound like, should I go with these or the KPH30i? I was thinking HD600-type of sound
Yhe porta pros sound warm yo me with the right dash of treble, hence my perceived lack of sparkly high trebles with certain tracks

Oct 28, 2020 at 10:03 PM Post #1,200 of 1,312
If you have Porta Pro and Project Ember amp you need to try the NOS Russian "6H23N-EB" tube.... never heard such overall clarity and treble detail from the Porta Pro... makes the Porta Pro the right kind of neutral sound and has the most "live" sound I've yet heard in a tube... absolutely phenominal tube for acoustic music. Well worth the price...

i-jg7g4CP.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back