Koss Portapro Thread
Sep 17, 2019 at 12:13 PM Post #1,127 of 1,310
Sep 19, 2019 at 11:41 PM Post #1,128 of 1,310
IMG_20190919_222950.jpg
May put some ksc75 drivers on this, yaxis and recable.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2019 at 3:08 PM Post #1,131 of 1,310
A big shout out to Bisoy Siosan who modded a pair of my PortaPros to MMCX. Fantastic work, looks stock. I love that I can change out the cables now, depending if I am going LoFi or HiFi.

Those are the normal drivers, with Yaxi Earpads and the Drop PortaPro Headband.

Porta-Pro-MMCX.jpg

--

Nov 15, 2019 at 7:10 PM Post #1,133 of 1,310
I almost never recommend changing pads on headphones, but for this thing... Yaxis are great. Extra comfort and also brings back some of the treble. Loving these pics

IMO pad rolling (&modification) is particularly justified on these sorts of 'imprecisely coupled' form factor headphones with highly variable/individuated fit/positioning - lightweight on-ears, neck bands, clip-ons, and earbuds...

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2019 at 2:45 AM Post #1,135 of 1,310
Just doing some manual A/Bing between my h6xx's and the porta pros on a JDS labs ol dac/atom stack and it is laughable how good these are (owned these for a bit over a year now but never really bothered to listen to them on desktop gear). I can't definitively say which ones I prefer, the hd6xx is cleaner and of course has that timbre perfect tone. However the porta pros has a more natural, less confined soundstage/imaging presentation than the three blob of the hd6xx even through they are technically inferior in that regard.

As a side note, I started setting the switches on their lightest setting lately and I feel like it evens out the presentation on the porta pros quite considerably, improving refinement, separation and adding smoothness. I also think it locks in vocals to a smaller and more defined center image probably because having the drivers smashed up against your ears allows the bass/mids to somewhat wash together. My roomate saw them the other day after I got back from a run and said "man you really need to get some bluetooth headphones" lol. If people even knew what they were missing.

Dec 7, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #1,136 of 1,310

Having tried KSC75, PortaPro, and KSC35, I finally landed on this configuration last year-ish:

KSC35, Parts Express headband, Yaxi pads
I just did this but with Porta Pro. Wow. Also it helps to bend the headband of that thing to keep clamp force low. The excessive clamp of the stock chassis causes a lot of treble and extension to be lost.

Dec 7, 2019 at 11:50 AM Post #1,137 of 1,310
Last edited:
Dec 7, 2019 at 6:32 PM Post #1,138 of 1,310
I just did this but with Porta Pro. Wow. Also it helps to bend the headband of that thing to keep clamp force low. The excessive clamp of the stock chassis causes a lot of treble and extension to be lost.

The Porta Pro drivers on Parts Express headband is my favorite configuration for basically what you said. For more comfort/less sliding around add a leather strap/pad to it. The Porta Pro drivers + Yaxi pads + Parts Express headband + leather strap/pad (modded MrSpeakers T50RP strap repurposed from a prototype M1060 headband mod I did a while back) are my main daily listening headphone currently - sound so euphonic and punchy with life and and openness of sound, especially on the Project Ember with an Amperex 7308 gold pin, Mazda/Bimar 6CG7/6FQ7, or electro-harmonix 6H30Pi tube:

i-JTS9qzV.jpg

i-D2qxW7F.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #1,139 of 1,310

Yes the clamp of the stock headband always bothered me. Get a bit more bass/warmth than the KSC75 but not at a loss of treble and such- it's a nice balance. Plus the comfort is like wearing a cloud on your ears.

Dec 8, 2019 at 4:11 PM Post #1,140 of 1,310
The Porta Pro drivers on Parts Express headband is my favorite configuration for basically what you said. For more comfort/less sliding around add a leather strap/pad to it. The Porta Pro drivers + Yaxi pads + Parts Express headband + leather strap/pad (modded MrSpeakers T50RP strap repurposed from a prototype M1060 headband mod I did a while back) are my main daily listening headphone currently - sound so euphonic and punchy with life and and openness of sound, especially on the Project Ember with an Amperex 7308 gold pin, Mazda/Bimar 6CG7/6FQ7, or electro-harmonix 6H30Pi tube:

i-JTS9qzV.jpg

i-D2qxW7F.jpg

Looks really really nice. Love seeing this combo more and more lately it seems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back