Koss Portapro Thread
Jul 31, 2019 at 4:55 PM Post #1,096 of 1,309
Finally went and ordered a porta pro after getting a better-paying job. ( I know they are cheap and I'm more of a frugal man, for now, lol ) should i immediately order a pair or pairs of Yaxi pads? Am I missing out on a lot without having the Yaxi pads? Should I also get the ksc75?

The Pro4s is also looking at me from afar, please dont take all my money
I can't comment on the Yaxi pads as I've only recently started using a Portapro again and haven't any intention of modding them at the moment, but I got the KSC75 along with my current Portapro and I definitely don't regret getting them. The clips are a bit fiddly and annoying but they can be bent to conform to your ear. They aren't as bassy as the Portapro and have really good clarity and detail for their price.
I ordered the Parts Express headband for my KSC75 so that I can use them without the clips.

Jul 31, 2019 at 5:26 PM Post #1,097 of 1,309
I can't comment on the Yaxi pads as I've only recently started using a Portapro again and haven't any intention of modding them at the moment, but I got the KSC75 along with my current Portapro and I definitely don't regret getting them. The clips are a bit fiddly and annoying but they can be bent to conform to your ear. They aren't as bassy as the Portapro and have really good clarity and detail for their price.
I ordered the Parts Express headband for my KSC75 so that I can use them without the clips.

I have quite large ears and I'm a bit worried that the ksc75s wont fit that well or that they might be painful. But for £19 I cant seem to resist

Jul 31, 2019 at 6:43 PM Post #1,098 of 1,309
I have quite large ears and I'm a bit worried that the ksc75s wont fit that well or that they might be painful. But for £19 I cant seem to resist
You can reshape the hook if it's uncomfortable, it's only made of wire and silicone and is very pliable. I have been using them for hours every day since I got them and haven't had any problems with them that couldn't be fixed by readjusting the hooks. Any of those "problems" were caused by me fiddling with the hook in the first place - I was being an idiot and messing around with the shape!

If you don't like the hooks, you can always modify them with a headband. I've actually ordered a parts express headband for them as people speak highly of the KSC75 with that particular headband.

These headphones are definitely worth a try for the price. The best compliment I can give them is that since receiving them I haven't felt the need to use any of my more expensive headphones.

Jul 31, 2019 at 8:36 PM Post #1,099 of 1,309
Finally went and ordered a porta pro after getting a better-paying job. ( I know they are cheap and I'm more of a frugal man, for now, lol ) should i immediately order a pair or pairs of Yaxi pads? Am I missing out on a lot without having the Yaxi pads? Should I also get the ksc75?

Come on man - just get them all and be happy!

Aug 2, 2019 at 4:13 AM Post #1,100 of 1,309

The Porta Pro's with the Yaxi pads are really making the Pro a Pro ++. They're worth your (everybody's) money. The fit is great. The sound is more natural, with still great bass (not too much, just great). I often use them with the DX200/AMP9, so they can deal with great dap's also.

Aug 2, 2019 at 4:32 AM Post #1,101 of 1,309
The Porta Pro's with the Yaxi pads are really making the Pro a Pro ++. They're worth your (everybody's) money. The fit is great. The sound is more natural, with still great bass (not too much, just great). I often use them with the DX200/AMP9, so they can deal with great dap's also.

Holy smokes. They do sound good!

Paired the Ppros with a bright DAP and it sounded better!

I just ordered 2 pairs of yaxi pads. Just wondering how long will they take to arrive

Aug 2, 2019 at 6:46 AM Post #1,102 of 1,309
Holy smokes. They do sound good!

Paired the Ppros with a bright DAP and it sounded better!

I just ordered 2 pairs of yaxi pads. Just wondering how long will they take to arrive
Mine came to the US in 10 days. Your location may even be quicker. They're very prompt about shipping after placing the order.

Aug 2, 2019 at 12:18 PM Post #1,103 of 1,309
I personally prefer the KSC-75 to the Porta Pros, though both sound fantastic. I was actually listening to some songs a few months back and realized I like the sound on those songs better with the KSC-75 than even my AKG K702s! (Which are the best/priciest headphones I have).

And I definitely prefer the earclips to the PP headband, but as always comfort and ergonomics are up to the individual. I haven't tried the Yaxi pads though, and for the KSC clips I haven't even needed to reshape them. I'll admit though that I haven't tried the PP drivers with the KSC clips, I've heard that is the preferred combination at least for some people.

Aug 3, 2019 at 6:14 AM Post #1,104 of 1,309

See how you like them. The yaxi pads are an added luxury, not a necessity

Aug 3, 2019 at 7:32 AM Post #1,105 of 1,309
Non-fatiguing, bassy, slightly congested, recessed higs but a lot of fun. That's my impression of the KPP. I believe the Yaxi's would let them breath more so spacing should be improved that makes me excited

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2019 at 4:19 PM Post #1,106 of 1,309
The price of the PortaPros seems to be higher than normal, so while I wait for the price to come down a bit I ended up getting a pair of KSC75s which came in yesterday. I didn't get much of a chance to listen to them then, but first impressions were very positive. I was hearing cymbals in songs I didn't even knew had cymbals. Today I got more time to put them through their paces and now I'm less sure about them. I never understood the meaning of the word "fatiguing" until listening to the KSC75s. After awhile I just have to take them off. They sound pretty good though. I think I need to give them some more burn in (and let my brain adapt as well). I grabbed the Parts Express Headband or something close to it from here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Headphone-with-3-feet-Cord-3-5-mm-plug-stereo-mini/131493857855. The KSC75s fit on perfectly.

Aug 30, 2019 at 3:16 AM Post #1,107 of 1,309
A good alternative pad for the portas is HD414 yellow pads. They bring out a bit of sibilance in the highs but soundstage, detail, and clarity improves. Flatter bass as well.

Sep 2, 2019 at 6:28 PM Post #1,108 of 1,309
Just ordered my first set of PortaPros. I just noticed Amazon US has them from Amazon Warehouse deals like new with a 20% discount for $25.70.

Sep 9, 2019 at 12:15 AM Post #1,109 of 1,309
A good alternative pad for the portas is HD414 yellow pads. They bring out a bit of sibilance in the highs but soundstage, detail, and clarity improves. Flatter bass as well.

Have you compared the comfort of the HD414 pads with the Yaxis? I'm thinking of getting some Yaxis. I just received the HD414 yellow pads.

Sep 9, 2019 at 6:32 PM Post #1,110 of 1,309
Have you compared the comfort of the HD414 pads with the Yaxis? I'm thinking of getting some Yaxis. I just received the HD414 yellow pads.
I've been wanting to get yaxi pads, but never made the leap yet (amazon shipping time is insane).

I will say the hd414 pads are certainly more comfortable than stock, less clamp.

My only complaint is they bring up the treble a lot..to the point where I occasionally hear ringing or splashiness in that region. I still slightly prefer the overall sound of hd414 pads to stock.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back