Koss Portapro Thread
Sep 12, 2019 at 2:12 PM Post #1,111 of 1,309
@F122 I found these on amazon and decided to give them a shot:
https://www.amazon.com/EARZONK-Replacement-Grado-Headphone-Cushion/dp/B00BW5JEZ4?ref_=ast_bbp_dp

They're basically meant for Grados, but the low cost and prime-shipping, it was a no-brainer.
I also ordered yaxi pads direct from Japan...but those are going to be a while.

Oh and the HD414 pads..I tried slipping them over the portas stock pads (instead of directly on by themselves). A bit harder to drive,
but the treble is a bit less hyper, plus they fit on the drivers better.

An aside...

KPH30i owners? Been playing around with kph30i and Geekria Grado replacement 'donut' pads:
https://www.amazon.com/Geekria-Repl...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=KEG255AZA3F6E2SNVAP3
The pads placed over the stock pads increase comfort and make the sound less 'dark' and
a bit more balanced.
Sorry if its off-topic, but there is no kph30i thread.:triportsad:
20190912_105939.jpg

20190912_110055.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2019 at 5:16 PM Post #1,112 of 1,309
Sep 12, 2019 at 9:48 PM Post #1,113 of 1,309
@F122 I found these on amazon and decided to give them a shot:
https://www.amazon.com/EARZONK-Replacement-Grado-Headphone-Cushion/dp/B00BW5JEZ4?ref_=ast_bbp_dp

They're basically meant for Grados, but the low cost and prime-shipping, it was a no-brainer.
I also ordered yaxi pads direct from Japan...but those are going to be a while.

Oh and the HD414 pads..I tried slipping them over the portas stock pads (instead of directly on by themselves). A bit harder to drive,
but the treble is a bit less hyper, plus they fit on the drivers better.

An aside...

KPH30i owners? Been playing around with kph30i and Geekria Grado replacement 'donut' pads:
https://www.amazon.com/Geekria-Repl...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=KEG255AZA3F6E2SNVAP3
The pads placed over the stock pads increase comfort and make the sound less 'dark' and
a bit more balanced.
Sorry if its off-topic, but there is no kph30i thread.:triportsad:

Those Earzonks from Amazon look nice. I'm going to have to put my Yaxi pad order in soon.

Sep 12, 2019 at 10:11 PM Post #1,114 of 1,309
My Yaxi pads were supposed to come yesterday but apparently the mail carrier needed a signature and left a note. I scheduled a redelivery for today and signed the note and put it on the door. He came today and took the note but still no pads... I'll see if I can pick them up from the post office on Saturday.

Sep 13, 2019 at 4:15 PM Post #1,115 of 1,309
Got 'em! They're great. As others have said. I don't really notice a difference in sound. Certainly more comfortable though.

Lb1rIf2.jpg

Sep 14, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #1,117 of 1,309
Just got the Earzonk pads in the mail.

They are huge, bigger than expected. In every way they are identical to the HD414 pads..except depth is slightly less thick.

The foam is a bit softer than HD414 pads, obviously more comfortable.

Sound is the same; still wide, leaner and clearer than stock pads.

I guess they are a cheaper alternative to HD414 pads...cant wait to hear what Yaxi pads do to them.

Sep 14, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #1,118 of 1,309
Sep 14, 2019 at 4:10 PM Post #1,119 of 1,309
Modded one for a family member.

They can eat up pletny of power and not fall apart. They sound miles better than PX100 II ever did (original PX was better than the mark 2, but long gone... RIP).

Where did you get those lime green PP? Nice job with the cabling.

Sep 16, 2019 at 9:47 PM Post #1,121 of 1,309
Adding my thoughts on the yaxi pads.

The yaxi pads are worth the wait..and worth every penny. They leave the porta pro sound unchanged from stock while adding a hint of space.

Its not much, but just enough to take the stock sound in the right direction; slightly less 'claustrophobic' than stock and not as bright as hd414 or earzonk pads. Plus they look great on the portas.
20190916_183311.jpg

Sep 17, 2019 at 12:20 AM Post #1,122 of 1,309

The yaxi pads are worth the wait..and worth every penny. They leave the porta pro sound unchanged from stock while adding a hint of space.

Its not much, but just enough to take the stock sound in the right direction; slightly less 'claustrophobic' than stock and not as bright as hd414 or earzonk pads. Plus they look great on the portas.

Holy hell!!! I love the look of the Drop PPx w/ yellow yaxis. It also looks great in orange yaxis. I prefer the PPx color scheme without the silver trim. The stark look of the black comfort zone sticker with white lettering looks better than the standard PP sticker.

Sep 17, 2019 at 7:15 AM Post #1,124 of 1,309
Koss Portas w/yaxi is easily among my favorite dynamic driver headphone sound...really wish I could have had this back when joining head-fi. The collection would be a bit smaller than it is now.

These things really kick, rumble and image much better than I would expect..even if the sound is a touch dark it helps their cause. I may actually prefer them to kph30i with these pads.

I can actually go from Eikon to PortaPro and not feel like I'm missing much; they both have among the best representation of midrange, imo.

It is the kind of sound I was looking for when using the old hd600 w/tubes.
1568718446041-264124391.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2019 at 7:28 AM Post #1,125 of 1,309

I have the orange Yaxi pads on mine, and totally concur with your assessment. Great Improvement. Nice photo man!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back