Koss Portapro Thread
May 1, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #1,066 of 1,312
It's tempting. It's awfully tempting, but something like a Fiio BTR1 would work too, and I already have a couple Porta Pros.

True, and I already have several Bluetooth receivers, including a Sound Blaster E3 (and an E5, but that's a big one) and an Elecom bluetooth receiver, among others, and they definitely get used, but I still prefer a cleaner solution with less (or no) wires to manage, and this new wireless Porta Pro does that elegantly, I'd say. :)

May 17, 2018 at 6:33 PM Post #1,069 of 1,312
Does anyone know if the Mexico made Portapros would sound different that the China made versions? I have both and the Mexico made has less bass.

They both sound fine if you use google translate.

:sunglasses:

Jul 13, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #1,071 of 1,312
After nearly 35 years What HiFi have reviewed the PortaPro

Given 5 stars obviously. What took them so long?!?!

Jul 13, 2018 at 7:22 PM Post #1,072 of 1,312
I've been out of the head-fi game for a bit simply because I've been quite happy with my portapros. I used to own quite a few IEMs, most notably the Rock-It R50 and the Yamaha EPH100. Then I borrowed my brother's PortaPros to watch a TV show and man, I had to have them. I haven't used an IEM for years now because of the portapros, and they do a pretty good job as a TV/Movie watching headphone, and not too bad with orchestra soundtracks. I have a question for you PortaPro owners that also own other full-sized headphones:
What would be a clear upgrade to the PortaPro's that also have a fun sound, but a much larger soundstage, and are more resolving? I'm looking to spend under $200 and I'm currently deciding between the Sennheiser HD 598, AKG K7xx, or the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pros (I'm open to other models as well). I will be using these for gaming, tv/movie watching and listening to film/video game soundtracks, some techno, and the occasional rock, jazz or classical. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Jul 14, 2018 at 3:29 AM Post #1,073 of 1,312
Slapped on some new foams on the ol' sporta and it's swag hits smoothly (mids are just deeelish)

giphy.gif

I think its looks are deceiving, since they are 45mm right, that's still somewhat monstrous since it basically kisses your ear and shoots right into the ear canal

Jan 16, 2019 at 2:02 PM Post #1,076 of 1,312
Hi everyone!

Maybe someone faced the issue of wires crackling in the earcups when you move and the cable sways? I mean loose wires where they're soldered. Seems to be a bit annoying say walking and listening to this along with the music.

Went to a store nearby intended to buy ones and wonder is it kind of defect or a headphones' trait every owner has?

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2019 at 6:08 PM Post #1,077 of 1,312
Hi everyone!

Maybe someone faced the issue of wires crackling in the earcups when you move and the cable sways? I mean loose wires where they're soldered. Seems to be a bit annoying say walking and listening to this along with the music.

Went to a store nearby intended to buy ones and wonder is it kind of defect or a headphones' trait every owner has?
I've had mine for seven years problem-free. But it seems like the newer productions seem to have some recurring problems. Nothing wide spread, but repetitive none the less. How long have you had yours?

Jan 17, 2019 at 1:48 AM Post #1,078 of 1,312
How long have you had yours?
Oh I didn't specify: I meant the phones in the store. They've got 2 PortaPros and both have this issue. Thus I wonder if this is kind a of a defect or the manufacture nowadays makes them cheaper-built?

I know that the issue could be solved myself opening the cans and adjusting the wires or even recable them.
Though don't really want to open them until it's really necessary, like the cable dies. Because my experience with kcs75s showed the joint between the headband(earhook) and an earcup tends to wear out.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2019 at 2:11 AM Post #1,079 of 1,312
@VRacer-111 I bought the Yaxi pads after you mentioned them in the HD58X thread, yes they sound very different now.
The bloat gone, better mids and highs a great cheap pad upgrade. All in all I spent £26 on the headphone and £12 on the yaxi pads it just shows you what you can achieve for very little, thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back