Koss Portapro Thread
Jan 20, 2019 at 7:36 AM Post #1,081 of 1,309
IMG_20190120_072710815.jpg

Jan 23, 2019 at 2:32 AM Post #1,085 of 1,309
Yes they are. Tried them first on my Porta Pros. Just now ordered for my Parts Express KSC75. Nice picture!

Thank you sir! I've been swapping Koss drivers on this PE headband since 2015 and after finally settling on the KSC35, the Yaxi pads just elevated it to the next level of comfort and sound- all for $16 shipped! My favorite headphone.

Jan 25, 2019 at 1:29 PM Post #1,086 of 1,309
So, about to open up my 5th pair of Porta-Pros(this includes two warranty returns, and the two spares I bought). Right side just went out. Anyone suggest recabling services that adds strain relief or something under the driver? I was just buying spares headphones but the price is just getting to high to do that. I love the way they sound and they're lightweight, my go-to workout and "out-and-about" headphones, but the cable issues just suck! My brother is on his 2nd headphone; after the first warranty he just uses them at home but uses cheap earbuds for work and working out.

KSC35/75s have this issue? I wear earmuffs at work(Howard Leight Impact Pros), so something that'll fit in there that are not earbuds would be nice. They have audio input on them but the sound quality is awful.

Feb 6, 2019 at 10:14 AM Post #1,087 of 1,309
Yes they are. Tried them first on my Porta Pros. Just now ordered for my Parts Express KSC75. Nice picture!
Thank you sir! I've been swapping Koss drivers on this PE headband since 2015 and after finally settling on the KSC35, the Yaxi pads just elevated it to the next level of comfort and sound- all for $16 shipped! My favorite headphone.
Because of your experience bought the Yaxi pads too. It really makes the portapro more comfortabel and changes the sound to a much more refined level. Great recommendation!

Mar 4, 2019 at 7:29 PM Post #1,090 of 1,309
Just wanted to add a voice to the choir and say these are absolutely fantastic. I needed a good running headphone. The open design reduces wind noise that you get on closed headphones, the the cable isn't very microphonic, and the sound... as soon as I put these on, I just knew they were awesome. They have a very immediate presence and clarity, which is totally the opposite of the thin and lifeless sound that cheap headphones usually have.

I am so impressed with these, for 30 dollars no less, I cannot give them anything else but a rave review. The way they fold up is brilliant, and the old school look is brilliant. 10/10 in terms of value, sound, build, aesthetics. Hooray.

Last edited:
May 31, 2019 at 4:16 AM Post #1,091 of 1,309
I have two Porta Pros and one KSC-75 and love 'em. One of the Porta Pros has a damaged headband and damaged stereo plug that drops the left channel if it moves when plugged in. With that said, I've been wanting a BT headphone. The Porta Pro wireless version would be a bit pricey, so I've been considering getting some BT headphone accessory cable thingie and soldering it into the damaged Porta Pro's drivers, which themselves are intact, to make up a cheaper wireless Porta Pro.

While the headband is still semi-usable for now, I also considered the Parts Express band. However I was wondering if it's good for bigger heads? The Porta Pro's headband is a bit tighter than I'd like even at the light setting. I found a place in Europe that sells the Parts Express headband, but it's a bit over 8€ shipped, so while that's not a huge amount of money it'd be nice to know about the fit beforehand. The only reference I could find on short notice was to a version of the band that's not the one most people have.

I'd actually prefer using the earhooks from the KSC-75, but I'd rather not keep popping them on and off between the two headphones, and for whatever reason there seem to be no spares.

Edit/update: I ordered the BT part. It'll probably take a good 3 weeks to arrive. I suppose I'll see if it even works desirably before pondering the headband further. If it does I suppose I need an aptX compatible USB BT dongle for my desktop computer, as well.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2019 at 6:01 PM Post #1,092 of 1,309
The BT cable arrived today and after some annoyance with soldering the thin wiring I managed to get it working. Unfortunately the sound quality is... bad. While my phone (or computer dongle, tried both) doesn't support aptX, which the BT cable should, there are no notable quality issues if I stream to my Logitech Bluetooth Audio Receiver and play via speakers. As such I can't really blame the quality on just bluetooth (unfortunately I returned a tablet which had aptX support just the other day, forgetting I was supposed to test this). It just seems odd that the "amplification" of the cable would be so bad, considering I've seen others do similar budget conversions with reportedly little to no loss in quality. But as it stands, certainly not worth using over their still-wired counterparts.

Jul 28, 2019 at 9:52 AM Post #1,093 of 1,309
I had two sets of Portapros years ago, and ordered another set for old times sake which arrived today. I also ordered the KSC75 (which I have never heard) because it was cheap and will arrive tomorrow.
I am listening to Radiohead's OK Computer album through the Portapros right now and instantly remembered what I loved about these headphones in the first place. Such an enjoyable and fun sound signature!

Jul 29, 2019 at 9:19 AM Post #1,094 of 1,309
I had two sets of Portapros years ago, and ordered another set for old times sake which arrived today. I also ordered the KSC75 (which I have never heard) because it was cheap and will arrive tomorrow.
I am listening to Radiohead's OK Computer album through the Portapros right now and instantly remembered what I loved about these headphones in the first place. Such an enjoyable and fun sound signature!
The KSC75 is really nice as well. Such great sound for an inexpensive headphone.

Jul 31, 2019 at 4:33 PM Post #1,095 of 1,309
Finally went and ordered a porta pro after getting a better-paying job. ( I know they are cheap and I'm more of a frugal man, for now, lol ) should i immediately order a pair or pairs of Yaxi pads? Am I missing out on a lot without having the Yaxi pads? Should I also get the ksc75?

The Pro4s is also looking at me from afar, please dont take all my money

Users who are viewing this thread

Back