Koss Portapro Thread
Jul 17, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #1,036 of 1,312
I've used the KSC35, KSC75, and Yuin clips. The 35s are the most secure (and bassy), but least comfortable (sharp edges, hard plastic). The Yuin is more comfortable (softer plasic) and a little looser fitting but still plenty secure (for me).

The 75s have the softest, most pliable clips. They are rubbery with a metal guide so you could actually bend them into any shape, which is nice. However, the 75s are thicker than PPs so the clips are the loosest of the three. On my ear they are "wobbly" and don't always seal great. They are very comfortable though.

I prefer the Yuins overall and I wish Koss would adapt the 75 clips for the 35s and PPs.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017 at 5:31 AM Post #1,037 of 1,312
I've used the KSC35, KSC75, and Yuin clips. The 35s are the most secure (and bassy), but least comfortable (sharp edges, hard plastic). The Yuin is more comfortable (softer plasic) and a little looser fitting but still plenty secure (for me).

The 75s have the softest, most pliable clips. They are rubbery with a metal guide so you could actually bend them into any shape, which is nice. However, the 75s are thicker than PPs so the clips are the loosest of the three. On my ear they are "wobbly" and don't always seal great. They are very comfortable though.

I prefer the Yuins overall and I wish Koss would adapt the 75 clips for the 35s and PPs.

The Yuin clips are growing on me at least. I wonder if they're still usable if you replace the pads, as there are a ton of really inexpensive pads on eBay that might be more comfortable, or might be junk. My concern is the increased thickness might ruin the possibility of getting a good fit with clips, or being able to even put them on in the first place.

Jul 26, 2017 at 6:59 AM Post #1,039 of 1,312
Goddamn, I just picked up a pair of these on a whim a couple of days ago. These are so ridiculously incredible, they're stealing me away from my K7XX's. I foresee using these for the near future; these are something else.

Jul 26, 2017 at 10:19 PM Post #1,040 of 1,312
Goddamn, I just picked up a pair of these on a whim a couple of days ago. These are so ridiculously incredible, they're stealing me away from my K7XX's. I foresee using these for the near future; these are something else.

Yep. I have several pricier hp's and still listen to them on a regular basis. They are my morning newspaper and coffee cans. Whatever else happens in the audio world, these are truly indispensable. Glad you discovered them.

Aug 13, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #1,041 of 1,312
Just for those who might be interested, Koss has partnered with Massdrop on a Porta Pro. Currently running $38 with mic, and is scheduled to ship Dec 18th. Looks to have a new cable and jack, and uses a one button mic.

Aug 27, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #1,044 of 1,312
Welcome to the big bang for buck club! They are unreal for the price.

Thank you, yea they were definitely surprisingly even though I had already read all the hype about them. I do find the bass to be a little muddy and overpowering though. Have you used the koss ksc75? I heard they are a less dark version of porta pros

Might be interested in picking a pair of those up to if they're anywhere near as good as these for $15

Aug 27, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #1,045 of 1,312
Thank you, yea they were definitely surprisingly even though I had already read all the hype about them. I do find the bass to be a little muddy and overpowering though. Have you used the koss ksc75? I heard they are a less dark version of porta pros

Might be interested in picking a pair of those up to if they're anywhere near as good as these for $15

Listened to the KCS75 today as a matter of fact. On the Parts Express headband that I bought 4 years ago for $1.99, that they now ask $14.95 on Amazon. Great setup. The 75 to me has slightly better top end, and much improved bass control. Read its thread. Value proposition very high also. BTW - prices on both drop fairly significantly around the coming holidays.

Aug 27, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #1,046 of 1,312
Listened to the KCS75 today as a matter of fact. On the Parts Express headband that I bought 4 years ago for $1.99, that they now ask $14.95 on Amazon. Great setup. The 75 to me has slightly better top end, and much improved bass control. Read its thread. Value proposition very high also. BTW - prices on both drop fairly significantly around the coming holidays.

Awesome thank you for the reply and I think I will order those too for the $15, these portas are really crazy. I had to take them off after listening to make sure the sound was coming out of these little retro cans lol

Aug 29, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #1,047 of 1,312

Get the parts express headband and try the portapro drivers on the headband. I find that this solves the overpowering bass issue.

Having said that, also get the ksc75's and try them on the headband. Then see which ones you prefer. You might like them both, in which case you should get two headbands :)

Aug 30, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #1,048 of 1,312
I've just noticed something... I received Oculus rift vr over week ago and it's totally using porta pro driver. Seriously. No wonder people are satisfied with rift sound. And I confirm it does sound good although although the foam is thicker.

You can totally see it through the little grate of the shroud. what is interesting me is that foam and padding have nice feeling to ear and would do as great mod to porta pro. Anyone tried it?
oculus-rift-earphonecu-1500x1000.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #1,049 of 1,312
Hey I'm thinking of getting some porta pros. Any difference in the standard ones and red ones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back