Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Oct 12, 2017 at 8:33 PM Post #23,371 of 63,836
Wow, i wonder why your opinion is always the exact opposite from mine.
Saying stock ZS5 v1 sounds better than ZS6 is really strange to me.

Keep posting your impressions on future models, i want to see why our opinions are so different.

If you're really sensitive to sibilance I can see how that would happen.

Oct 12, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #23,372 of 63,836
Wow, i wonder why your opinion is always the exact opposite from mine.
Saying stock ZS5 v1 sounds better than ZS6 is really strange to me.

Keep posting your impressions on future models, i want to see why our opinions are so different.
Well, a good logical answer will be that we both have different ears and different taste in sound.

Oct 12, 2017 at 8:45 PM Post #23,373 of 63,836
The odd thing to me is that the Zs5 and 6 have similar frequency response and yet I find the Zs6 with foams to be fairly consistent when I put my DAP on random and just let it play. The 6 doesnt seem to care what you throw at it, it stays pretty much consistent and reasonably enjoyable (if a bit sibilant at times). The Zs5v1 on the other hand, I simply cannot play 5 random songs in a row without finding at least one that just sounds bad. More often than not, it is 2 of 5 or better that don't hold up. My Zs5s were quickly relegated to the drawer and aren't likely to be coming out soon or often.

Oct 12, 2017 at 9:03 PM Post #23,374 of 63,836
The odd thing to me is that the Zs5 and 6 have similar frequency response and yet I find the Zs6 with foams to be fairly consistent when I put my DAP on random and just let it play. The 6 doesnt seem to care what you throw at it, it stays pretty much consistent and reasonably enjoyable (if a bit sibilant at times). The Zs5v1 on the other hand, I simply cannot play 5 random songs in a row without finding at least one that just sounds bad. More often than not, it is 2 of 5 or better that don't hold up. My Zs5s were quickly relegated to the drawer and aren't likely to be coming out soon or often.
Since they're relegated to the drawer anyway... have you checked under the screens at all? Not saying there's anything wrong with them ... this just strikes me as pretty similar to my long standing impressions of the ZS5 - an impression that went away when I tore out the screens and found them to be in direct contact with (and glued to) the BAs.

And if you do decide to do some tampering, while you're in there, @Viber reported a very similar experience for very different reasons and a very different solution (Viber mod) :shrug:

PS: Remember the screens of the ZS5 are glued on and this is a mildly destructive procedure :wink:

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2017 at 12:22 AM Post #23,375 of 63,836

Apart from the stronger treble spike on the ZS6, their FR isn't even identical. The difference is in the upper mids that are less elevated on the ZS6, giving them a less distant and less hollow-ish appearance whereas the ZS5 v1 could sound a tad too artificial from time to time with more vocal-oriented tracks. That's why a mixture of the ZS6's lows and mids along with the ZS5 v1's highs would be an awesome combination. Dear Knowledge Zenith representatives, if you read along these lines, please make exactly that happen, but not by silently releasing a ZS6 v2 but a ZS7.

Oct 13, 2017 at 2:19 AM Post #23,376 of 63,836
So apparently KZ will drop the green and bring a new grey colour for their zs6. I'm not sure why they drop the green. Copyright issue ?? Lol

795e4de311860063.jpg

Oct 13, 2017 at 3:11 AM Post #23,379 of 63,836
Anyone here tried ordering from fasttech.com? They sell the ZS6 for $34.02 with a 12 day delivery for only $2.00. Sounds good, right?

Oct 13, 2017 at 3:53 AM Post #23,380 of 63,836
Anyone here tried ordering from fasttech.com? They sell the ZS6 for $34.02 with a 12 day delivery for only $2.00. Sounds good, right?
Never audio but lots of vaping gear. I've had the same experience as many other vapers. How that translates to audio purchases is unknown. Shipping is quick and cheap as long as you upgrade from the free slow boat method. E-packet if offered is the best consistently quick inexpensive shipping method. The biggest problem with FastTech is getting them to actually ship the product! There is a tendency to list an item as available in 2 days, for example, but it ends up not shipping until 2 weeks have passed. Myself and others have learned that unless it says in stock ready to ship you may end up waiting (and waiting) regardless of shipping method chosen.

My experience with Gearbest and ali (and Banggood) are that they all are pretty good with the indicated shipping date.

Oct 13, 2017 at 4:06 AM Post #23,381 of 63,836
deleted

Oct 13, 2017 at 4:19 AM Post #23,384 of 63,836
Not sure if I should be asking here or the ChiFi thread...

I rather like the sound I'm getting from the KZ ZS5 I own but find comfort for extended listening not very good. I purchased the TFZ Exclusive 5 via Massdrop because I've seen reviews which led me to believe that they'd have a similar bass response but I'm not getting that. Additionally I have a personal issue with comfort from the standard style silicone ear tip. I'm guessing that its because the material does not allow my skin to breathe properly, as compared to Comply or even Chinese foam, so I end up with an itchy feeling if I wear the earphone over 45 minutes to an hour. I actually prefer them in general over the NuForce Primo 8 I got from Massdrop even though overall the Primo 8 has a flatter extended frequency response.

So a number of questions...
1) is there another good choice in IEM to get with a similar bass and sub bass sound signature? (I am awaiting delivery of a pair of ZS6 but I think I want something "more") I'm perfectly happy with something that isn't in the ChiFi category but about $200 is my upper limit.
2) ear tip or wear suggestions as to why the TFZ don't have much bass for me? I've been using in ear products for years, since the etymotic er 6 and before so I'm used to fiddling for the correct fit.
2a) ear tip suggestions above and beyond silicone, comply, Chinese foam, and KZ silicone (which I do find a bit more 'wearable' for me than other silicone tips.)

Oct 13, 2017 at 4:38 AM Post #23,385 of 63,836
20171013_162247.jpg

This KZsilverplatedcable aint good for the zs6..burned by ears :p

20171013_090407.jpg

These KZ foamies aint good for ZS6...
kept slipping :p
[edit...one foamie just tore today...split into 2???? crazy..i tot foamies melt??? ]

So its back to the stockcable...perfect:)

20171013_070722.jpg

Chose 2 youtubes ..on my samsungfone;
went back n forth afew rounds..
ZS6 is my fav...
filled up the sound spectrum...
picked up details the others couldnt decode.

Utubers owe it to yourselves to get a ZS6.

Attachments

• 20171013_090407.jpg
    20171013_090407.jpg
    966.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back