Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Sep 11, 2017 at 4:26 AM Post #21,151 of 63,980
Seems like there was intense argument few pages back. Gave me a feeling that KZ followers is a cult not to be messed with lol. I think there's no absolute right or wrong given that the world we live in people with money and powers are constantly exploiting others with something called patent. Inequalities are getting out of control in this overpopulated Earth and i believe many who barely earns enough or those from the 3rd world country will find KZ a safe haven for them to at least enjoy music. A pair of CA would probably feed them and their family for a year or so
Patents can be a good thing if they are used to grant the rights of something 100% original and innovative to the people who spent their time and investment to develop it, regarding the patents will translate that investment into something good for the community, the workers and the society. On the other hand, there are companies that use patents only with profit in mind, disregarding societal benefits and ethical questions. It reminds me of Monster Cable, finding rather standard aspects of cables and connectors that had never been patented, to fill patents for it and sue small companies (only those and not the big fish) for using the same standard principles. And it was really standard things such as the look of a RCA plug. Such companies ate called "patent trolls".

Sep 11, 2017 at 4:57 AM Post #21,152 of 63,980
Don't forget they are releasing a ZS3 hybrid soon too. I love the ZS3 shell - so comfy and sleek looking!
You are right. ZS3 together with QKZ DM300 are unbeatable in comfort of using. For my ears at least. QKZ's are little darker in a term of the sound signature. I like both for easier listening music (pop, rap, in some cases even in rock music...).

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2017 at 5:02 AM Post #21,153 of 63,980
Patents can be a good thing if they are used to grant the rights of something 100% original and innovative to the people who spent their time and investment to develop it, regarding the patents will translate that investment into something good for the community, the workers and the society. On the other hand, there are companies that use patents only with profit in mind, disregarding societal benefits and ethical questions. It reminds me of Monster Cable, finding rather standard aspects of cables and connectors that had never been patented, to fill patents for it and sue small companies (only those and not the big fish) for using the same standard principles. And it was really standard things such as the look of a RCA plug. Such companies ate called "patent trolls".
Patent trolls aren't even the worst thing going on with patents anymore... attempting to fix that problem has brought about an even worse scenario where the new game is being a big enough fish to just outright get patents revoked so you can legally steal ideas from anyone not big enough to defend themselves, thus completely defeating the purpose of the entire patent system. :disappointed_relieved:

But while budget minded threads are generally far more likely to highlight social inequalities, political issues, etc, etc... this line of commentary feels pretty digressive and even as I type this, I can't help but wonder if I should bother to hit reply. :shrug:

Sep 11, 2017 at 5:22 AM Post #21,154 of 63,980
Don't forget they are releasing a ZS3 hybrid soon too. I love the ZS3 shell - so comfy and sleek looking!

what-you-talkin-bout-willis-gif-8.gif

What? where? when?
Give me your source for this plz

Sep 11, 2017 at 5:28 AM Post #21,155 of 63,980
Well inspired by the ES3 setup (and by testing the process on a broken set...) I decided to stop waiting for screens to show up and just went ahead and modded a pair of ZS5(v1)s.

Initial impressions: Mids seem a lot cleaner - clearer vocals, cymbals slightly recessed, more natural sounding strings - less "ethereal" / "holographic" sounding to me, so if you really love that effect, that might be a con. Personally, I'm extremely happy with the results so far.

Yep, it makes the ZS5 more versatile,correct sounding and less gimmicky.
Instead of getting a performance of 10/10 on some tracks and 6/10 on other tracks you get a 9/10 performance for the vast majority of tracks.

I think KZ would do it themselves if it wasn't such a pain in the ass to put foam/absorption material exactly around each BA in each nozzle.

Sep 11, 2017 at 5:29 AM Post #21,156 of 63,980
Patent trolls aren't even the worst thing going on with patents anymore... attempting to fix that problem has brought about an even worse scenario where the new game is being a big enough fish to just outright get patents revoked so you can legally steal ideas from anyone not big enough to defend themselves, thus completely defeating the purpose of the entire patent system. :disappointed_relieved:

But while budget minded threads are generally far more likely to highlight social inequalities, political issues, etc, etc... this line of commentary feels pretty digressive and even as I type this, I can't help but wonder if I should bother to hit reply. :shrug:

You're right. Special interest controls congress. And patent laws can be reversed such that big banks no longer have to pay rights to use atm technology for instance. I feel bad for the guy who patented it. Also if you are connected in this connected economy, then you don't have to worry cause you got the guy, it's covered so to speak. Fair or not it is not sustainable, who wants to innovate when this happens?

Arguably connected people, but connected people tend to want to be comfortable and adapts to not wanting to do any work. Since the lost decades productivity has gone down.

But I like KZ, it makes me happy.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2017 at 5:37 AM Post #21,157 of 63,980

Let's wrap it up around KZ products then!
I guess we are here to celebrate the liberation made possible by Chinese companies, to democratize good sound and high fidelity. KZ is one of the most successful and, by the size of this thread, celebrated brands in this regard. But the way they are doing it is not perfect, and maybe they are not listening enough to their overseas costumers (or maybe it is not their interest to do so, regarding the size of the Chinese domestic market). KZ should have taken off already, with a lineup of 100% original products, instead of getting a too-close "inspiration" on companies such as Sennheiser (the IE80), Audio Technica (ATE/ATR), some European custom iem brand I can't recall (ZS3), Campfire (ZS5/6)...
I think they were on the right track with the ED9 and they should have come already with an original design for their other IEMs...
I don't think people buy KZ's products to look like they have the expensive original stuff. At least here where I live (at the tip of continental Europe), people don't care much about IEMs and the mainstream market is very small. Sometimes I stroll through the stores looking for some novelties and all you can see is some Sony, Philips, Pioneer, JBL, a very few Senns (the cheapest ones), a very few JVC, the freakin' Beats, the Bose and, mainly, the store-branded crap that you get for 3 or 4 euros. No one here would care if I was sporting a 1000 euro IEM or one of those crappy earbuds. In fact, as in most places around Europe, most people I see are using the iPhone earbuds and the stock Samsung IEMs while they commute, along with some Sony or Pioneer on-ear headphones.
Just the other day my colleagues noticed I had a new "thingy"... "aw its so cute..." "is it expensive"? It was the Benjie S5... (and I usually take the FiiO X3II with a leather case and an external amp...). So, social and economically speaking, in most of the western world, IEMs and portable audio gear won't give you style or "street credit" or whatever. Not at least as much as branded clothes or handbags or an iPhone...

Sep 11, 2017 at 6:27 AM Post #21,159 of 63,980
Sep 11, 2017 at 8:22 AM Post #21,162 of 63,980
It's a simple right from wrong issue. I never said anyone in this thread bought them to pretend they were campfires. I also don't care if someone else chooses to buy a knockoff if he likes the sound for what he pays. To each his own but not many reviews don't comment on the similarity. That isn't coincidence. Rationalize it any way you want but it's simply wrong. If you can't see that, I can't help you. I haven't started nor plan to start a boycott, LOL. I like it so it's all good all the time is common internet fanboy speak. You can like a product, choose to buy it but still recognize it a knocked off design. Same with comparing it with false equivalences to products that develop a natural shape. No judgement against anyone that bought them. It's commentary that's aimed strictly at the maker and will stop when no longer responded to.
unlike the sleek, smooth-edged zst or zs3, i don't think the zs5 is a particularly attractive or ergonomic design + i'm not sure campfire is a household name--you'd think kz would copy other, more established designs.

Sep 11, 2017 at 8:31 AM Post #21,163 of 63,980
I might be crazy but i put some foam around the BA driver inside the nozzle, the sound so far is
tenor.gif

I can truly say these earphones are more capable now. If you found the ZS5 too thin\shrill or raw on some tracks then you might wanna try this.

Note that taking the metal mash off is a pain and you might not be able to put it back on.
would you explain me better than I have to do to make this mod

Sep 11, 2017 at 8:48 AM Post #21,164 of 63,980
would you explain me better than I have to do to make this mod

Ok. I'll post instructions once and for all.

1.First thing to know it that the metal mesh will get damaged during this mod.
2. Open up the mesh using a needle.
3. you will see something like this:

4.You'll need a piece of foam, i used the black foam they put to protect computer parts.
5.Look at the picture, see that metal part in the nozzle? thats the BA driver.
6. Take a small piece of the foam and try to insert the foam so it surrounds the BA driver, use the needle to do so.
7.Be careful not to touch the actual BA driver with the needle, dont do any damage to internal parts.
8.Close the mesh.

*Do the mod at your own risk.

Sep 11, 2017 at 8:52 AM Post #21,165 of 63,980
... i don't think the zs5 is a particularly attractive or ergonomic design + i'm not sure campfire is a household name--you'd think kz would copy other, more established designs.

Exactly.

Other than on high-brow forums (like head-fi) or websites, I hardly ever note a whimper of mention on anything over a US$100/- anywhere with regards to earphones. The only times that happen is when people talk about the industry big names like Sennheiser, UE, Shure and those that spend a big deal on market visibility like Jays, Beats and Bose.

Talk to anyone on the street, you're likely to have a less than 1/100 chance of finding someone who can name a brand that has the bulk of their earphones over the US$250/- mark be it Campfire or Noble or whatever else is out there.

Audiophile specific brands are a pretty obscure occurrence to the average man on the street. I wouldn't say KZ is doing fine copying the look of the Andromeda, as the ZS5 isn't exactly a comfortable earphone to put on for me. I do think its lazy.
But seriously, it doesn't even register on the radar blip in influencing buyer behaviour from the branding standpoint other than it looks radically different from the budget earphones out there. And may get budget buyers to take notice. Those people will have no clue where the inspired design was from at all. Perhaps like 1 in a 100 chance of those that wear their earpieces on the go. The others who don't, the odds are even higher ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back