Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Sep 11, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #21,181 of 64,191
foam around BA should actually recess mids coming from DD
That's what I would've thought too... But on my crude measurements it looked like I was getting a drop around 4kHz and a smaller gain around 5kHz, with the rest of the response untouched.

Phasing issue maybe? Possibly one related to precision driver placement not being quite precise enough, or something? Not really sure how to test such things, so I'm kinda reticent to comment more at the moment.

I think I may have inadvertently made other changes in the process, some thoughts on this later maybe.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #21,182 of 64,191
You know, I just realized something.

I predict that the new ZS3 hybrid IS the ZSR.

Because the ZSR is supposed to be the "next" IEM released between the ZS6 and the ZS10. And that roughly coincides with when the ZS3 hybrid was reported to be slated for release.

Obviously it's only speculation and a hunch on my part, but I had an a-ha moment and thought it would be interesting to see if I'm right.

crystal ball.jpeg

Sep 11, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #21,183 of 64,191
You know, I just realized something.

I predict that the new ZS3 hybrid IS the ZSR.

Because the ZSR is supposed to be the "next" IEM released between the ZS6 and the ZS10. And that roughly coincides with when the ZS3 hybrid was reported to be slated for release.

Obviously it's only speculation and a hunch on my part, but I had an a-ha moment and thought it would be interesting to see if I'm right.

I believed that intagram post that has all this info about ZSR and ZS10 because they posted photos of ZS6 before anyone else (as far as I know). So, this would suggest that ZSR is going to have 1DD and 2BA. For some reason, when people said ZS3 hybrid I just though that they would add another standard KZ BA driver (30095) in the nozzle and call it a day. That would create a standardized approach to hybrid technology in 3 different bodies - ZST, ES3 and ZSR(ZS3), and this would be too much redundancy now that I think about it.

Maybe ZSR will have 1DD + 2BA in ZS3 body and I'd bet that these 2BA would be exactly what's inside ZS5 v2 and ZS6 nozzles, while DD could have a slightly different tuning. I dislike the idea of ES3, a completely random product which doesn't appear to be a ZST upgrade and acts as a weird sidestep with different tuning. It's the naming that's messing with me, if they called it ZST S or something like that (but less stupid), it would probably make more sense.

Sep 11, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #21,185 of 64,191
I'm having a session with the ATR and just can't quite place them. They sound veiled and way too dark, they upper mids seem less detailed than the m1hc. Like they're digital compressed. Also I noticed that the tips could be the cause of this darkness. If I move them around the sound opens up. Could it be? Even though I can't "hear" the details of the tracks.
I'm getting the einsear t2 but I also wanna try a BA armature, not sure if to get the ZSE or the ZS5. The first I'm scared could resemble the ATR darkness and the second could be disappointing and "expensive" for someone who just wants to try.

Anyway the cheapest is $17 from gearbest now? no coupons? :)

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #21,186 of 64,191
@Fox2twenty: I do not recommend continuous burning in (especially overnite) head/earphones with pink/brown/white noise. Some people "burn" the drivers on their K701/K702's. If burnin' in, its recommend to make noise loop with quiet sections, for rest drivers, to prevent their damage.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #21,187 of 64,191
Regarding intellectual property: patents etc are to protect truly novel work for a period of time and allow for some initial profit to be made by the creator.

KZ didn't copy anything novel. They didn't recreate exact replicas of Campfire iems.

Guess what? Folks make similar items all the time. Just look at sports cars.

#CampfireGate

Sep 11, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #21,188 of 64,191
@Fox2twenty: I do not recommend continuous burning in (especially overnite) head/earphones with pink/brown/white noise. Some people "burn" the drivers on their K701/K702's. If burnin' in, its recommend to make noise loop with quite sections, for rest drivers, to prevent their damage.
Well good thing I just stopped. :call_me: :call_me:

Sep 11, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #21,189 of 64,191
I'm having a session with the ATR and just can't quite place them. They sound veiled and way too dark, they upper mids seem less detailed than the m1hc. Like they're digital compressed. Also I noticed that the tips could be the cause of this darkness. If I move them around the sound opens up. Could it be? Even though I can't "hear" the details of the tracks.
I'm getting the einsear t2 but I also wanna try a BA armature, not sure if to get the ZSE or the ZS5. The first I'm scared could resemble the ATR darkness and the second could be disappointing and "expensive" for someone who just wants to try.

I bought ZS5 (no mic) a week ago for $14 on Aliexpress, the original price is $22. There is a promo $4 off for new registered user, $2 off for order above $19, and $2 off if you play Flipping game (very easy to get reward). Totally save $8 off.

Sep 11, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #21,190 of 64,191
I'm getting the einsear t2 but I also wanna try a BA armature, not sure if to get the ZSE or the ZS5.

ZSE is dual dynamic drivers, similar to ZS1, ZS2, ZN1.

KZ hybrid IEMs: ZST, ZS5, ES3, ZS6, (and soon to be ZS10 and soon to be unnamed ZS3 hybrid).

Sep 11, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #21,191 of 64,191
Got the ES3. I honestly couldn't ask for more in a ZST Sequel . It's like a ZST with more bass. It's still seperated from the other frequencies and still sounds excellent, with the clarity and detail.

The soundstage is also different. I like it.

This is what i hoped the ZS5 sounded like before the ZS5 released.

Sep 11, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #21,192 of 64,191
I bought ZS5 (no mic) a week ago for $14 on Aliexpress, the original price is $22. There is a promo $4 off for new registered user, $2 off for order above $19, and $2 off if you play Flipping game (very easy to get reward). Totally save $8 off.

could you please link the item/seller? I can't find the $2 off for $19 one...also where is the game?

Sep 11, 2017 at 2:41 PM Post #21,193 of 64,191

you'll like the einsear--it's a very refined iem. if you want to try a cheap ba/dd hybrid (the zse is a dd), my strong recommendation would be the urbanfun hifi.

Sep 11, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #21,194 of 64,191
Sep 11, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #21,195 of 64,191

I have the ATR as well and I am just as disappointed with it as you are. The way I see it is that with these low cost drivers, the tuning is important. If done poorly, like with the ATR, the flaws magnifies themselves. I purchased the ATR because I wanted something with less bass than the ATE. The ATE has a energetic and full bass / lower midrange coupled with just enough treble cutting through to distract you so that you don't really notice the lack of details or the slow attacking midrange. With the ATR, they took that sound curve and flattened it, and the result was bass without dynamics and a muddy midrange. That's pretty much what you're hearing, a poorly tuned product.

What I suggest is to try all the different tips you have, even the ones that might not fit comfortably. That's what I had to do to get some decent results out of my ATE. If you're considering the ZS5, you can rest assured that it sounds nothing like the ATR, but it does have a pretty vibrant treble that you might find fatiguing if you're sensitive to high frequencies.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back