Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Sep 11, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #21,197 of 64,402
you'll like the einsear--it's a very refined iem. if you want to try a cheap ba/dd hybrid (the zse is a dd), my strong recommendation would be the urbanfun hifi.
The einsear T2 are great and very well built.

Sep 11, 2017 at 2:44 PM Post #21,198 of 64,402
I just got the ES3 in too. I like it better than the ZS5 already. It really does sound like an upgraded ZST
Maybe I should take a ZS5 break and throw in the ES3s..

Sep 11, 2017 at 2:44 PM Post #21,199 of 64,402
I have the ATR as well and I am just as disappointed with it. The way I see it is that with these low cost drivers, the tuning is important. If done poorly, like with the ATR, the flaws magnifies themselves. I purchased the ATR because I wanted something with less bass than the ATE. The ATE has a energetic and full bass / lower midrange coupled with just enough treble cutting through to distract you so that you don't really notice the lack of details and the slow attacking midrange. With the ATR, they took that sound curve and flattened it, and the result was bass without dynamics and a muddy midrange. That's pretty much what you're hearing, a poorly tuned product.

What I suggest is to try all the different tips you have, even the ones that might not fit comfortably. That's what I had to do to get some decent results out of my ATE. If you're considering the ZS5, you can rest assured that it sounds nothing like the ATR, but it does have a pretty vibrant treble that you might find fatiguing if you're sensitive to high frequencies.

So according to you the ATR just has low quality in terms of details or is it just the tuning?

Sep 11, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #21,200 of 64,402
So according to you the ATR just has low quality in terms of details or is it just the tuning?

It's both. The drivers themselves aren't really capable to start with and mix that in with poor tuning and what you get is a bad sound. That's why I find the ATE much more enjoyable than the ATR even though they are technically the same product.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #21,202 of 64,402
It's both. The drivers themselves aren't really capable to start with and mix that in with poor tuning and what you get is a bad sound. That's why I find the ATE much more enjoyable than the ATR even though they are technically the same product.
I would say they are totally different. The ATE still surprises me with its ability to pour honey in the music. They are so sweet and vibrant at the same time. Just listen to a slide guitar, a feminine voice... I mean, they are fun and still accurate. The ATR is just dull in comparison. No magic.

Sep 11, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #21,203 of 64,402
@Fox2twenty: I do not recommend continuous burning in (especially overnite) head/earphones with pink/brown/white noise. Some people "burn" the drivers on their K701/K702's. If burnin' in, its recommend to make noise loop with quiet sections, for rest drivers, to prevent their damage.

FWIW, you don't really have to worry about "over burning" IEMs. The drivers are simply too small and there's simply not enough energy or movement happening to heat them up and damage them like you can with full size headphones or speakers.

The only way to really damage a pair of IEMs would be to burn them in too loud and actually blow the driver.

My preferred way to burn in headphones is to use http://www.bassdrive.com/. Just turn on their livestream and let them burn for 48 hours.

Sep 11, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #21,204 of 64,402
@bjaardker: Yep, you could be right. That's why i mentioned full sized AKG's. Altrough the KZ's are not so expensive i'm not going to risk and blow them out.

Sep 11, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #21,206 of 64,402
I've only ordered a few IEMs from them, but my mileage varies quite a bit - delivery times as specified, and their support happily sent out a replacement for a damaged ZS5 a full 29 days after receipt - pretty above and beyond what I expected in that situation honestly.

Maybe time to try them again.

Sep 11, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #21,207 of 64,402
You know, I just realized something.

I predict that the new ZS3 hybrid IS the ZSR.

Because the ZSR is supposed to be the "next" IEM released between the ZS6 and the ZS10. And that roughly coincides with when the ZS3 hybrid was reported to be slated for release.

Obviously it's only speculation and a hunch on my part, but I had an a-ha moment and thought it would be interesting to see if I'm right.

Stop staring at your balls.

Sep 11, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #21,208 of 64,402
Sep 11, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #21,209 of 64,402
the urbanfun are on the par with the zs5?
they're very different beasts--the urbanfun is more audiophile accurate/refined/clinical while the zs5 is more energetic/bigger and more immersive. whether one is "better" is purely a matter of taste--i dig them both but would pick the urbanfun if i could only have one, though many smarter people on this site would choose the kz. i will say that the zs5 don't really shine without an amp, so if you're just using your mobile the uf would be the pick.

Sep 11, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #21,210 of 64,402
they're very different beasts--the urbanfun is more audiophile accurate/refined/clinical while the zs5 is more energetic/bigger and more immersive. whether one is "better" is purely a matter of taste--i dig them both but would pick the urbanfun if i could only have one, though many smarter people on this site would choose the kz. i will say that the zs5 don't really shine without an amp, so if you're just using your mobile the uf would be the pick.
I understand what you're saying, the fact that zs5 needs an amp or is song dependent is not very inspiring...
Though they're described as V-shaped and that's not for me...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back