Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Sep 11, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #21,211 of 64,402
FWIW, you don't really have to worry about "over burning" IEMs. The drivers are simply too small and there's simply not enough energy or movement happening to heat them up and damage them like you can with full size headphones or speakers.

The only way to really damage a pair of IEMs would be to burn them in too loud and actually blow the driver.

My preferred way to burn in headphones is to use http://www.bassdrive.com/. Just turn on their livestream and let them burn for 48 hours.
I'm hoping an hour or so of pink/brown/white noise will be sufficient. :call_me: :call_me:

Sep 11, 2017 at 6:07 PM Post #21,212 of 64,402
Hoping my ES3s will come this week, they will be my first real IEMs but I have trouble with tips on anything else I've ever tried. Apple earbuds fit in my ears perfectly, should I try Complys? If so which ones?

Sep 11, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #21,214 of 64,402
Hoping my ES3s will come this week, they will be my first real IEMs but I have trouble with tips on anything else I've ever tried. Apple earbuds fit in my ears perfectly, should I try Complys? If so which ones?
T400 mediums should be fine.

Sep 11, 2017 at 7:08 PM Post #21,215 of 64,402
Well... I have v1 ZS5 and I removed grills (as almost always do) and I like my ZS5 more without grills or foam.

Result really depends on source gear too.

Quote: Initial impressions: Mids seem a lot cleaner - clearer vocals, cymbals slightly recessed, more natural sounding strings - less "ethereal" / "holographic" sounding to me, so if you really love that effect, that might be a con. Personally, I'm extremely happy with the results so far.

On both my modded setups it doesn`t have any added "ethereal" / "holographic" effect (only as much there is on recording, very few times been even less than should be) and mids sound very clear (to me it`s weird that vocals get clearer with added foam, they don`t to me - foam around BA should actually recess mids coming from DD).

Sounds to me that some of You doesn`t have so "mids-capable" source gear or just aren`t used with high details SQ.

Anyway, I would anytime prefer SQ of 10/10 on HD tracks (great mastering recordings) instead 9/10 and making bad or not so good masterings better with losing SQ on HD tracks.

JMHSO :wink:

Ummm yeah, my HRT Headstreamer is good enough to play with my Denon D2000 and it's practically built for Headphones with low impedance so i'm pretty sure the problem isn't with my gear or me not being use to detailed sound or HD tracks.

It's also not accurate to say that it's only got to do with the mastering of the track, it also depends on the character of the track.
We should just stick to different ears hear things differently and leave it at that.

Sep 11, 2017 at 8:49 PM Post #21,216 of 64,402
I find the Comply T400 tips to pair really nice with the ES3. You might have to choose the right size for a secure fit in your ear.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #21,217 of 64,402
I find the Comply T400 tips to pair really nice with the ES3. You might have to choose the right size for a secure fit in your ear.
Going to test this tonight

Sep 11, 2017 at 9:57 PM Post #21,218 of 64,402
they're very different beasts--the urbanfun is more audiophile accurate/refined/clinical while the zs5 is more energetic/bigger and more immersive. whether one is "better" is purely a matter of taste--i dig them both but would pick the urbanfun if i could only have one, though many smarter people on this site would choose the kz. i will say that the zs5 don't really shine without an amp, so if you're just using your mobile the uf would be the pick.

I have 2 sets of ZS5's, a set of the Urbanfun HiFis, and the EMI CI880, and, while I like the points you make, I question your source perhaps. My Nexus 6p running Ainur Sauron with the Dirac add-on, using Neutron as the player has no trouble driving the ZS5 at all. To me, all three of these IEMs are pretty evenly matched. I like the ZS5 as it throws a large soundstage with plenty of air and space around the instruments. Its faults to me are that it lacks a little weight or punch at times, and the mids, especially female vocals can be a touch recessed. I find the EMI to be the mist clinical of the three, but still fun to listen to. It is a little weightier than the ZS5, but the soundstage is a bit smaller. It is less congested than the ZS5 on complex passages, very clean. To me, the Urbanfun is the most immersive of the three, accurate, fun to listen to, scales well. Very very similar to the EMI, but just a touch less clean and a touch more weight to the overall sound. If that makes any sense...

Sep 11, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #21,219 of 64,402
I have 2 sets of ZS5's, a set of the Urbanfun HiFis, and the EMI CI880, and, while I like the points you make, I question your source perhaps. My Nexus 6p running Ainur Sauron with the Dirac add-on, using Neutron as the player has no trouble driving the ZS5 at all. To me, all three of these IEMs are pretty evenly matched. I like the ZS5 as it throws a large soundstage with plenty of air and space around the instruments. Its faults to me are that it lacks a little weight or punch at times, and the mids, especially female vocals can be a touch recessed. I find the EMI to be the mist clinical of the three, but still fun to listen to. It is a little weightier than the ZS5, but the soundstage is a bit smaller. It is less congested than the ZS5 on complex passages, very clean. To me, the Urbanfun is the most immersive of the three, accurate, fun to listen to, scales well. Very very similar to the EMI, but just a touch less clean and a touch more weight to the overall sound. If that makes any sense...
Indeed. I like the "airiness" in the zs5 imaging.

Sep 11, 2017 at 10:54 PM Post #21,220 of 64,402

I think what loomisjohnson is referring to is the sensitivity of the ZS5 to source to compared to the Urbanfun.

I don't have the ZS5 but the ZSE instead. And compared to the Urbanfun, it sounds very obviously different between different sources. It doesn't exhibit the clean bass and overall sparkle when plugged into the laptop jack as opposed to my LG G6. But for the Urbanfun, the difference is a lot more subtle, in fact not really obvious unless for very delicate music or very loud ones.
If I have to choose only one, after a long weekend of testing between the CI880, Urbanfun Hifi and the HT06, it would come in that order.

The tuning of the Urbanfun is more smoothed out overall, very natural and in my opionion more or less neutral.

The CI880 is a little more clinical in the details, it seems to play the details louder/more clearly comparatively. For the way I like to listen to and most of the stuff I listen to, this works better as even though its such, it doesn't sound unnatural to me at all. It just heightens the listening experience.

Sep 11, 2017 at 11:54 PM Post #21,221 of 64,402
could you please link the item/seller? I can't find the $2 off for $19 one...also where is the game?

I bought my zs5 from seller "AK Audio store". Unfortunately, I just check it again and noticed that they increased their price from $22 to $24. But $2 off for order above $19 is still available if you click on Discounts & Coupons (right under shipping method). Another $2 off coupon you can get by playing Flipping game on Ali mobile app, it's free to play every Monday, or alternative is exchange 20 coins to get coupon (require check-in to collect coin for 4 days in-a-row).

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2017 at 12:35 AM Post #21,222 of 64,402
After a little burn in, I think the zs5 did improve a little. This sort of electronic music seems to show off the zs5 - -

Screenshot_20170911-213251.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back