Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
May 25, 2024 at 12:11 PM Post #64,187 of 64,391
The last few days I've been playing with the KZ x HBB DQ6S. Some time ago someone dug them up in this thread and they caught my attention again.
Unfortunately, but for me, they are difficult to listen because of too obtrusive treble, but they definitely have potential for modding. They have 3 dynamic drivers and it feels like you can hear it. Wide stage, very impressive and detailed.

Wait, what?
If anything the DQ6s are known to lack some treble presence. It's in other reviews as well. They are the opposite in this regard from the ZS6 for example.

Maybe try this:
You must notice you can insert the tips half way on the nozzle (first lip) or ALL THE WAY.

When i put the tips ALL OVER the nozzle the "treble faucet" (constant 12Khz-ish noise) is eliminated.

Also notice these are VERY source sensitive. Maybe try it from a different one.

May 25, 2024 at 1:19 PM Post #64,188 of 64,391
Wait, what?
If anything the DQ6s are known to lack some treble presence. It's in other reviews as well. They are the opposite in this regard from the ZS6 for example.

Maybe try this:

Also notice these are VERY source sensitive. Maybe try it from a different one.
There's a peak at 5khz and for me it's very intense.

May 25, 2024 at 1:37 PM Post #64,189 of 64,391
There's a peak at 5khz and for me it's very intense.

Oh, then i know what you're talking about.
From my own experience its not exactly trable or even 5K.

Its sharpness with certain sounds from ~2.3K-4.2K. Its not cheap chi-fi shoutyness though which makes it very different from other sub 100$ IEMS.

I do use a small EQ to tone down that area.
even though i listen to very bright music wouldnt say its "very intense". Its still the smoothest mids i had since the ZSR.

May 25, 2024 at 2:17 PM Post #64,190 of 64,391
Oh, then i know what you're talking about.
From my own experience its not exactly trable or even 5K.

Its sharpness with certain sounds from ~2.3K-4.2K. Its not cheap chi-fi shoutyness though which makes it very different from other sub 100$ IEMS.

I do use a small EQ to tone down that area.
even though i listen to very bright music wouldnt say its "very intense". Its still the smoothest mids i had since the ZSR.
For me, there is an intense feeling. It most clearly does not resonate with the fillings in my teeth. :)
At least in a couple of reviews on HF people point to the appearance of sibilants. This is probably to some extent individual.

May 26, 2024 at 9:59 AM Post #64,191 of 64,391
Well damn...my Castor Bass are in the hands of the shipping partner ACI.

Guess it'll be another month or two before I get them even though they've been sitting one state over from me waiting to be handed over to USPS for about a week or so already.

Does ACI not have any trucks they can deliver items with? Do they just walk packages from place to place? I mean damn. No way the waiting time should be that long once a package has made its way through customs from China and into the United States.

May 26, 2024 at 11:42 PM Post #64,192 of 64,391
Well damn...my Castor Bass are in the hands of the shipping partner ACI.

Guess it'll be another month or two before I get them even though they've been sitting one state over from me waiting to be handed over to USPS for about a week or so already.

Does ACI not have any trucks they can deliver items with? Do they just walk packages from place to place? I mean damn. No way the waiting time should be that long once a package has made its way through customs from China and into the United States.
i kinda used to 4~6 week of free delivery from AliExpress via chinesemail service or something

May 27, 2024 at 12:37 PM Post #64,193 of 64,391
Just cracked open the ZVX and was surprised to see what looks like the driver of the EDX Pro Lite. Honestly not too surprised, ZJ Pang on Facebook suspected it was the EDX Pro X driver, not sure if it's the same as the Lite. Is this why Gizaudio took down the review?

It does sound less smooth than expected from reviews, it's screetchy and sharp AF, was kinda underwhelmed and this explains why. I've heard the driver in the EDX Pro X is the same as the one in the ZSN Pro 2 and ZS10 Pro 2, so if this is it it might be usable with some tweaks, maybe adding a BA in the bottom corner is an even better idea now.

20240527_164907.jpg
20240527_165014.jpg

Notice that the golden cap isn't aligned well with it, it's kinda offset and tilted, bruh.

Below is an image of the EDX Lite and of my D-Fi, it has the OG driver, ZVX should have looked like this but with the Zobel Network.

71lotDTKAyL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg
20240108_175112.jpg

@saldsald recently posted a pic of his ZVX, it has the OG driver.

20230308_102922.jpg

Here is Hi-Fri's teardown, you can see the driver is similar to that of @saldsald , not the one on the table, the one on the ZVX.

Screenshot 2024-05-27 164031.png

Credit to ZJ Pang on FB for noticing the anomaly:

Screenshot 2024-05-27 163406.png
Screenshot 2024-05-27 163441.png

But when KZ gives you lemons, you make lemonade, ima mod these to death, maybe

May 27, 2024 at 2:08 PM Post #64,194 of 64,391
Just cracked open the ZVX and was surprised to see what looks like the driver of the EDX Pro Lite. Honestly not too surprised, ZJ Pang on Facebook suspected it was the EDX Pro X driver, not sure if it's the same as the Lite. Is this why Gizaudio took down the review?

It does sound less smooth than expected from reviews, it's screetchy and sharp AF, was kinda underwhelmed and this explains why. I've heard the driver in the EDX Pro X is the same as the one in the ZSN Pro 2 and ZS10 Pro 2, so if this is it it might be usable with some tweaks, maybe adding a BA in the bottom corner is an even better idea now.

20240527_164907.jpg20240527_165014.jpg

Notice that the golden cap isn't aligned well with it, it's kinda offset and tilted, bruh.

Below is an image of the EDX Lite and of my D-Fi, it has the OG driver, ZVX should have looked like this but with the Zobel Network.

71lotDTKAyL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg20240108_175112.jpg

20230308_102922.jpg

Here is Hi-Fri's teardown, you can see the driver is similar to that of @saldsald , not the one on the table, the one on the ZVX.

Screenshot 2024-05-27 164031.png

Screenshot 2024-05-27 163406.pngScreenshot 2024-05-27 163441.png

Here it is without the golden caps, they were just glued on top and easily came off with some torque

20240527_190644.jpg

May 27, 2024 at 3:52 PM Post #64,196 of 64,391

Can you tell us where you bought this? KZ official website? If yes, I will not buy KZ/CCA any more. I always bought from KZTWS.com

Last edited:
May 27, 2024 at 6:22 PM Post #64,198 of 64,391
Just cracked open the ZVX and was surprised to see what looks like the driver of the EDX Pro Lite.

What a shame! They make silly advertisements comparing their products with others, but how can we trust that when they change the IEM's driver in the middle? It would be better to find other reliable manufacturers, like Attri, Kefine, or TRN.

May 27, 2024 at 6:37 PM Post #64,200 of 64,391
Can you tell us where you bought this? KZ official website? If yes, I will not buy KZ/CCA any more. I always bought from KZTWS.com
Cost reduction.....That may be the reason the ZVX is selling for less than $10 at Ali at the moment.
Def not KZ official store. It's this random store called Digitaling Store, but I don't suspect they were the ones to change out the drivers, the packaging and everything seemed pretty intact. And the shells too.

Someone suggested that maybe KZ has cheaper variants on AliEx Choice and stuff, that might be it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back