Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
May 24, 2024 at 3:00 PM Post #64,171 of 64,386
The last few days I've been playing with the KZ x HBB DQ6S. Some time ago someone dug them up in this thread and they caught my attention again.
Unfortunately, but for me, they are difficult to listen because of too obtrusive treble, but they definitely have potential for modding. They have 3 dynamic drivers and it feels like you can hear it. Wide stage, very impressive and detailed.

Well this is the one that went viral along with Zex pro, possibly two small drivers don't work. Not that it matters if they sound good.

I'm also not a fan of HBB. Character controversy aside, I bought plenty of his recs back then. Anything from Ex1000, Fearless S8, Lancelot, DM6, DMG...... to then his planar takes. It's like treble-head in ' bass-head ' disguise 🥸, wasn't sure of his preference anymore.

May 24, 2024 at 4:16 PM Post #64,172 of 64,386
yeah the OG trios. The original DQ6 really impressed me for rock and I remember they stood out as being perfectly acceptable without EQ.
For me it's too much, the same in the og version as I remember. At the beginning there is a wow effect, quite like, for example, ZSN PRO 2, but in the long run it always falls off.
Well this is the one that went viral along with Zex pro, possibly two small drivers don't work. Not that it matters if they sound good.

I'm also not a fan of HBB. Character controversy aside, I bought plenty of his recs back then. Anything from Ex1000, Fearless S8, Lancelot, DM6, DMG...... to then his planar takes. It's like treble-head in ' bass-head ' disguise 🥸, wasn't sure of his preference anymore.
I must admit that as I look at the design, it rather gives the impression that everything should work. Or in other words, what's the point if it wasn't going to work anyway.

HBB is a guy not from my story :)

Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 5:05 PM Post #64,173 of 64,386
First impressions of the Castor Harman: these just bodied all of the budget pairs most of my collection, including the Heart Mirrors, and it's barely a contest. At least to my ears the CRA is not in the same league despite being sold for the same price.

As Nimweth laid out in his excellent review, I set all the switches to zero. I'm using Amazon Music Unlimited with "Exclusive Mode" enabled, so there is no EQ and most tracks are playing at 24bit/44kHz FLAC. With zero burn-in and using stock tips and cables I'm listening to a list of Pavarotti's hits and I'm literally floored. The Castors are absolute sorcery. Coherence, staging, textured bass, air and details - this is a very full package for any price. And they're gorgeous to boot.

I'll drop a review late next week after having a chance to enjoy these.

I've been seriously considering grabbing a pair of the Harman Castors to go with the Bass Castors I'm still waiting to receive from the KZ store due to their insanely low price and all the praise being heaped on them.

May 24, 2024 at 7:46 PM Post #64,174 of 64,386
I've been seriously considering grabbing a pair of the Harman Castors to go with the Bass Castors I'm still waiting to receive from the KZ store due to their insanely low price and all the praise being heaped on them.

Eh - I think your gut is probably correct the first time, and there will be plenty left for sale in a couple weeks after your bass versions arrive. Like you I've been tempted to get the yin to the yang just for the hell of it.

My active listening tends to be classical, jazz, and metal so bass heavy sets don't tend do be that great with recessed mids. I have to say tho - even the Harman version has some slam to it. I was caught off guard with a solid bass drum whack in a Puccini piece earlier. The bass version must be a monster.

May 24, 2024 at 10:46 PM Post #64,175 of 64,386
castor is cool and all but trio is the real king here
yeah, i have both castors
after i got trio, i gave castor bass away.

trio have cleaner bass and cleaner mids (my current daily)
vader balanced seems to be KZ attempt to polish Trio a bit more, so thats got my attention.
its cheaper than trio in my place too.
---
it have thinner body in sound
but if you want cleaner (and less) bass, Castor Harman is one to go.
it have quite the thump, a bit of texture, but not overly boomy like Castor Bass did.

Last edited:
May 25, 2024 at 4:39 AM Post #64,177 of 64,386
I released all mine, which is good. Now I have a room for legendary ones when time's right :wink:

Just placed an order on MH755 mod, I remember liking them a lot in 2019. Let's see how they stock up against KZs nowadays. BTW somehow I disliked all KZ single DDs, it's probably just me.
Check Sony MH1C if available. Imo it's a bit better then MH755.

May 25, 2024 at 7:01 AM Post #64,178 of 64,386
Hey guys since many of you are enjoying the trio and Vader, I'd like to ask if their 3DDs offer unique sound advantages over say, a single DD like the ew200, which is quite speedy, resolving and well extended.

In my mind it would make sense for 3DDs to handle complex music better, perhaps help with masking, although of course tuning is also important. I see many peeps saying good for a kz but not much beyond that

May 25, 2024 at 7:15 AM Post #64,179 of 64,386
Tried both demos of Libra, prefered the balanced version over the high res. Overall smooth and neutral sounding, not as bassy as the Trio. The high res. version of Libra is a bit bright to me. Both version have amazing sound quality with an unbeatable price.

1000023104.png

May 25, 2024 at 8:07 AM Post #64,180 of 64,386
castor is cool and all but trio is the real king here
I agree. Last week, I compared some KZ/CCA IEMs. The Castor bass is great, but I noticed its bass is a bit unnatural compared to the Trio and Rhapsody. Its treble is what makes it super fun but harsh at the same time.

The Trio has more stable bass and well-controlled treble.

May 25, 2024 at 8:46 AM Post #64,181 of 64,386
Tried both demos of Libra, prefered the balanced version over the high res. Overall smooth and neutral sounding, not as bassy as the Trio. The high res. version of Libra is a bit bright to me. Both version have amazing sound quality with an unbeatable price.

1000023104.png
Hows the resolution and details?
i'm kinda wondering how good are the Dynamic driver they used for this unique collab.

May 25, 2024 at 9:38 AM Post #64,183 of 64,386

1000023104.png
Does this catch up with the Aria 2 like they stated?

Attachments

• 1716362687989.jpeg
    1716362687989.jpeg
    158 KB · Views: 0
May 25, 2024 at 11:11 AM Post #64,185 of 64,386
Does this catch up with the Aria 2 like they stated?

So unfortunately I owned a Aria 2 before, and its been sent to the trash box due to seriously chipping and oxidizing. The Libra shares similar intimate tuning but still cant match the Aria 2 lush and bodied. On the other hand, the Libra's soundstage and dynamic range is extremely good within its price range.

1000023112.png

1000023111.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back