Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
May 23, 2024 at 6:22 AM Post #64,156 of 64,373
Anyone tried Penon Liqueur tips on PR2s?

I've seen a lot of folks talking about how great they are and was just wondering how they might sound on this set and whether the orange or black would be better. Or maybe both with different use cases for each.
Yes, I have the black ones on at the moment. They improve the midbass presence a bit and slightly tame the heat on the higher mids and highs. But I don't use them. Since I got the Artti T10, the KZ planars have lost their relevance for me.

May 23, 2024 at 7:52 AM Post #64,157 of 64,373
Thank you for the reply! Got it. Glad there's passthrough between the BA slot and the front cavity. I wish the zvx driver was a tad more resolving but the bass is fun, hopefully this helps bring out more details! :)
The available space is really limited for this one and yeah, I actually removed the original DD completely for a future project. The limited space makes it not an ideal shell for further modding but adding a BA is fine.

May 23, 2024 at 8:14 AM Post #64,158 of 64,373
The available space is really limited for this one and yeah, I actually removed the original DD completely for a future project. The limited space makes it not an ideal shell for further modding but adding a BA is fine.
Oooh you took out the DD? Then I imagine you also dig it's capabilities. I think the layering on it is quite epic, specially for electric guitar lows and drums, I'm thinking of messing with the front vent to reduce sub bass and hopefully further increase clarity but I fear that might make the highs harder to restrain. Most of all I wonder if the shell lets the DD shoot straight trough the nozzle or if it's at an angle, as I have a DD that performs best with direct access to the ear canal (XSL X One) and the ZVX shell is awesome.

One thing I wanna check when I open it is if they changed the driver to that of the EDX Pro X because someone on facebook pointed out that the new graphs look suspiciously close to the Pro X's, also timmy of Gizaudio seems to have taken down his ZVX review, suspicious stuff surrounds this iem lately.

Old vs new ZVX vs EDX Pro X graphs:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10234016556021669&set=p.10234016556021669&type=3

May 23, 2024 at 8:23 AM Post #64,159 of 64,373
Oooh you took out the DD? Then I imagine you also dig it's capabilities. I think the layering on it is quite epic, specially for electric guitar lows and drums, I'm thinking of messing with the front vent to reduce sub bass and hopefully further increase clarity but I fear that might make the highs harder to restrain. Most of all I wonder if the shell lets the DD shoot straight trough the nozzle or if it's at an angle, as I have a DD that performs best with direct access to the ear canal (XSL X One) and the ZVX shell is awesome.

One thing I wanna check when I open it is if they changed the driver to that of the EDX Pro X because someone on facebook pointed out that the new graphs look suspiciously close to the Pro X's, also timmy of Gizaudio seems to have taken down his ZVX review, suspicious stuff surrounds this iem lately.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10234016556021669&set=p.10234016556021669&type=3
No no, I removed the driver to harvest the shell. I think it's really difficult if not impossible to remove a DD from a metal shell without destroying it, lol. I usually buy pricer DDs from the factories directly. Not always good results as the shell take a major part in the sound.

Modding the front vent is semi-reversible. You can simply poke through the hole with a needle to destroy the stock filter, and apply your own on the outside of the shell. Need to replace from time to time due to wear and tear thou.

Honestly it's much easier and meaningful to mod a milti driver setup such as this one:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-discovery-thread.586909/post-17738127

Last edited:
May 23, 2024 at 10:07 AM Post #64,160 of 64,373
Yes, I have the black ones on at the moment. They improve the midbass presence a bit and slightly tame the heat on the higher mids and highs. But I don't use them. Since I got the Artti T10, the KZ planars have lost their relevance for me.

I've been looking at the T10...just not in my limited budget right now unfortunately.

Thanks for the info on the tips though.

May 24, 2024 at 3:06 AM Post #64,161 of 64,373
Definitely, and the same thing happens if your collection of over-ears start to multiply like gremlins. You settle down on 2-4 pair that are close-by and reach consistently for 1 or 2 pair, because a) switching up all the time isn't very convenient, and b) brain burn-in is a real thing and can mask the finer points of some sets until your senses re-adjust to them, like trying to enjoy caviar after having a big piece of chocolate cake.

Ah, you've yet to learn the audiophile's secret code!

"Dearest, you are the light of my life and the fire of my loin, but the context of the situation is as follows. Some men are addicted to gambling. Some men spend all their time prowling the night in the deep grips of strong drink. Yet others spend all their time at the office, traveling for work, or both. You're angry that I collect audio gear to analyze and appreciate the multifaceted sonic complexities of Dvorak, Liszt, and Rachmaninoff in all of their glory whilst responsibly sipping a cognac followed by a single origin espresso here at home. Tell me, what vice or pleasure am I to turn toward that doesn't interfere with fatherhood, leave me vulnerable to temptations of the flesh, or disrupt my good employment? Oh, and by the way, I meant to give this to you earlier - it's the latest scent from Guerlain."
Guerlain...my wife's favourite! Good taste!

May 24, 2024 at 7:09 AM Post #64,163 of 64,373
First impressions of the Castor Harman: these just bodied all of the budget pairs most of my collection, including the Heart Mirrors, and it's barely a contest. At least to my ears the CRA is not in the same league despite being sold for the same price.

As Nimweth laid out in his excellent review, I set all the switches to zero. I'm using Amazon Music Unlimited with "Exclusive Mode" enabled, so there is no EQ and most tracks are playing at 24bit/44kHz FLAC. With zero burn-in and using stock tips and cables I'm listening to a list of Pavarotti's hits and I'm literally floored. The Castors are absolute sorcery. Coherence, staging, textured bass, air and details - this is a very full package for any price. And they're gorgeous to boot.

I'll drop a review late next week after having a chance to enjoy these.

May 24, 2024 at 8:11 AM Post #64,164 of 64,373
First impressions of the Castor Harman: these just bodied all of the budget pairs most of my collection, including the Heart Mirrors, and it's barely a contest. At least to my ears the CRA is not in the same league despite being sold for the same price.

As Nimweth laid out in his excellent review, I set all the switches to zero. I'm using Amazon Music Unlimited with "Exclusive Mode" enabled, so there is no EQ and most tracks are playing at 24bit/44kHz FLAC. With zero burn-in and using stock tips and cables I'm listening to a list of Pavarotti's hits and I'm literally floored. The Castors are absolute sorcery. Coherence, staging, textured bass, air and details - this is a very full package for any price. And they're gorgeous to boot.

I'll drop a review late next week after having a chance to enjoy these.
When i got my castors, i gave away my remaining budget iems (only have 3 tough) to family and friends, save for Eda balanced that one need direct tuning successor before being given away.

May 24, 2024 at 10:25 AM Post #64,166 of 64,373

Actually, I don't trust Gizaudio. He like S12 so much, but music come from S12 is dead to me.

May 24, 2024 at 12:25 PM Post #64,168 of 64,373
Nowadays I have only few selected KZ Pokemons catched.

KZ: BA10, Castor Bass, D-Fi, DQ6S, Edx Pro X, ZVX, Ling long
CCA: Trio, HM20, CRA, Polaris.
Just 11.

Maybe in future I'm going to catch CCA Hydro. But do I need it? I don't know. I like this cheap ones.

I released all mine, which is good. Now I have a room for legendary ones when time's right :wink:

Just placed an order on MH755 mod, I remember liking them a lot in 2019. Let's see how they stock up against KZs nowadays. BTW somehow I disliked all KZ single DDs, it's probably just me.

May 24, 2024 at 2:23 PM Post #64,169 of 64,373
The last few days I've been playing with the KZ x HBB DQ6S. Some time ago someone dug them up in this thread and they caught my attention again.
Unfortunately, but for me, they are difficult to listen because of too obtrusive treble, but they definitely have potential for modding. They have 3 dynamic drivers and it feels like you can hear it. Wide stage, very impressive and detailed.

May 24, 2024 at 3:00 PM Post #64,170 of 64,373
When i got my castors, i gave away my remaining budget iems

right? After the first 5 or 10 minutes of listening I just kind of imagined the others dissipating into the air like Marvel characters after Thanos wins.

castor is cool and all but trio is the real king here

Quite possibly! From graphs alone I'm attracted more to the profile of the Vader HiRes than the advertised / reviewed warm signature of the Trio. having said that, catching up here and on the rest of the forum and the reviews it appears the Trio have definitely left many people highly impressed. I definitely don't need both so still ruminating on which of the 3 pots to order up.

They have 3 dynamic drivers and it feels like you can hear it. Wide stage, very impressive and detailed.

yeah the OG trios. The original DQ6 really impressed me for rock and I remember they stood out as being perfectly acceptable without EQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back