Kirosia has ordered a Zune HD, please show pics and say nice things to comfort him
Dec 17, 2009 at 11:10 PM Post #32 of 108
If music is your priority then the Zune HD is a really nice player with a warm punchy sound though headphone out although when I first got it the player sounded pretty dry for the first day or so. I did not know that MP3 players needed to "burn in" but I guess that it can be true. I have the iPod Touch 32 gig also and like it but the Zune does sound better IMO and the screen navigation is ever so much better. I certainly did not regret spending the money.

Dec 17, 2009 at 11:40 PM Post #33 of 108
Well I've been listening to an iaudio u2 for the past couple years, so I assume any top rung player can top that. And I'm used to audio burn-in, it took my ears/mind a day to adjust to my former PX100s.

Truth is, as long as the Zune doesn't come faulty, I'll be okay. Did any of you guys have dead pixels and such on your HDs?

Dec 17, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #34 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The iPod touch MAY be able to output 720 - no one has documented it. The iPhone 3GS plays back full 1080 HD, but it is undocumented. Apple don't advertise spec - it isn't their game.

There is no way with the iPod/iPhone to output HD to an external monitor (TV). Since the portable screen is not HD, what is the point of it then, exactly?

Dec 18, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #35 of 108
Is it possible they could release a physical add-on or cable?

Dec 18, 2009 at 12:32 AM Post #36 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I've been listening to an iaudio u2 for the past couple years, so I assume any top rung player can top that. And I'm used to audio burn-in, it took my ears/mind a day to adjust to my former PX100s.

Truth is, as long as the Zune doesn't come faulty, I'll be okay. Did any of you guys have dead pixels and such on your HDs?

I ordered a zune original, I as in the first batch. Mine came perfect.

Dec 18, 2009 at 5:57 AM Post #38 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott_Tarlow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought a Noreve case my my Zune HD. That is my biggest complaint with the Zune HD, is that there are not many cases. Both Vaja and Noreve have cases though, I will post about it when I get it. The Case cost me about 70 bucks, but I am confident it will be good. It takes like 18 business days to make though ><.

I wonder if Boxwave plans on making any. I have one of their aluminum ones for my 120GB which has been dropped a few time and is still going like a champ.

Dec 18, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #39 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by manuvajpai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check out this link (Warning: heavy stream) YouTube - PCMag: Zune HD vs. iPod touch

For your applications Zune HD will be better, mainly because of the vastly superior OLED screen. The menu shouldn't be that big of an issue. Syncing should be effortless as well. I think you should be happy with your purchase. In summary :-

Advantages of ZuneHD

- Different sound quality (better for some but different anyway)
- More expansion capabilities (for an audiophile) if you want them in the future
- Vastly better screen
- Equally or more intuitive interface once you get used to it. For starters it may seem trivial but the larger font size in the menu is gonna be an important deal.
- Better graphics
- Different music management software
- Better looks (subjective)

Disadvantages
- Slower CPU
- Less apps (many apps on app store are redundant anyway)
- Online store not as good as itunes
- Not an apple offering. And no this is not sarcastic. Microsoft is a bit of a me too company and it sadly is reflected in their products. No matter how much you bash apple, the purposeful design of their products is unquestionable.
- More accessories for iPod

Considering its Microsoft, they will keep adding more apps so that part is gonna be covered with time. Jailbreaking is one thing where ipod is gonna be better. That also means hassles with updating the firmware to keep up with newer features, though. Most importantly, newer ipods are supposed to come in January, at least with higher capacities. That means you would still have had remorse even if you ordered a touch
biggrin.gif

I'm curious, does the Zune now do gapless playback? I haven't been able to find anything on the web that says it does. If not, that's a big negative for the Zune vs. the iPod. A deal breaker for me.

Dec 18, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #40 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm curious, does the Zune now do gapless playback? I haven't been able to find anything on the web that says it does. If not, that's a big negative for the Zune vs. the iPod. A deal breaker for me.

The Zune has been able to do gapless for a while now. I know it had gapless on my Zune 30 at the 2.5 firmware update.

Dec 19, 2009 at 12:25 AM Post #42 of 108
So, just fired up my new Zune HD. Keep in mind what I'm coming from (iPod Nano 1g, 2g; iPod Mini 2g; iPod 4g (I think)) - this is the best audio I've ever heard in a portable DAP. Switching to the Yuin PK3 from some cheap (but not apple) buds probably made some of the difference as well...

It will take me some time to get used to the new interfaces (hardware and software) coming from iPod/itunes.

The only remorse I have is that I didn't pay the extra for the red (though I would still be waiting for it to arrive).

Dec 19, 2009 at 1:13 AM Post #45 of 108
Good to know. I have bad luck so....

Oh, I just got shipping confirmation. They're supposed to be here on Tuesday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back