Kirosia has ordered a Zune HD, please show pics and say nice things to comfort him
Dec 16, 2009 at 2:57 PM Post #16 of 108
Quote:

For audio and even video playback, I wouldn't dare call the Zune HD inferior, not by a very very wide margin to the iPod touch (even the 3rd generation updated 32GB and 64GB models - the 8GB is just the 2nd gen with a lower price, same old hardware).

Did you miss the line, "but in the end I wanted to prioritize music and video playback." Even you said so "The OP did say he's prioritizing the device for music and video use and not apps". Also, I said, "I know it's inferior to the ipod touch, particularly in regards to functionality and apps". Even if I didn't prioritize those, they're still things that the ipod does infinitely better. As a whole, the ipod touch just offers more for most people.

I've been reading up on the both players for a very long time, even demoing whenever I had the chance. The ipod has a more intuitive UI, has better wi-fi (no enterprise support, in this day and age?), gigantic app selection (which equals more functionality), better third-party support, it can be jailbroken, increasing it's potentional even more (upcoming Coreplayer app = multi codec video support). etc. The Zune has been out for months, and has had little done other than a few bug fixes and some demo-quality games. And Nvidia said the CPU was on par with the 2G ipod touch, I believe. The 3GS has a Cortex A8.

Quote:

The very best thing about the Zune HD? It's not an iPod.

From what I've been reading at various Zune forums, that isn't necessarily a good thing.

Please, no more fanboyism on either side.

Dec 16, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #18 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you miss the line, "but in the end I wanted to prioritize music and video playback." Even you said so "The OP did say he's prioritizing the device for music and video use and not apps". Also, I said, "I know it's inferior to the ipod touch, particularly in regards to functionality and apps". Even if I didn't prioritize those, they're still things that the ipod does infinitely better. As a whole, the ipod touch just offers more for most people.

I've been reading up on the both players for a very long time, even demoing whenever I had the chance. The ipod has a more intuitive UI, has better wi-fi (no enterprise support, in this day and age?), gigantic app selection (which equals more functionality), better third-party support, it can be jailbroken, increasing it's potentional even more (upcoming Coreplayer app = multi codec video support). etc. The Zune has been out for months, and has had little done other than a few bug fixes and some demo-quality games. And Nvidia said the CPU was on par with the 2G ipod touch, I believe. The 3G has a Cortex A8.

From what I've been reading at various Zune forums, that isn't necessarily a good thing.

Please, no more fanboyism on either side.

All of what you have said is true. Interestingly apple also realizes this and is pushing iPod touch to be a multimedia device because of it's ubiquitous apps store and it's hardware abilties.

But the one thing that ipod cannot do (without a 350$ accessory) is output a lossless stream. Remember the good old days of iRiver H120? You just need a 90$ dock to get similar (not same, H120 was far more portable than HD+dock can be) functionality from Zune HD. It is the ultimate that you can get in terms of sound quality from today's DAPs. Just plug in a decent dac and you are in heaven.

PS - No bias here as I am using a classic and I am happy with it. ^_^

Dec 16, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #19 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sure it is, iTunes runs like turd on Windows and having to use 3rd party software to get around it doesn't really improve the experience by any means.

The main advantages of a Zune though is better sound quality and better video quality. I also think navigation is a bit more intuitive myself.

The only thing I think anyone can regret with (any) flash player honestly is lack of capacity.

Dec 16, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #20 of 108
Quote:

Sure it is, iTunes runs like turd on Windows and having to use 3rd party software to get around it doesn't really improve the experience by any means.

I agree on itunes (used to have 5G), but there have been significiant complaints from former fanboys about the lack support from MS. People just expected more at this point in time.

Quote:

So Kir, will you get a screen protector? If you are careful, not placing it in a pocket flecked with aluminium, you may have a prettily smiling Zune in a year.

Still not sure. For $240, I can use it as a 2+ year beater, but I do hate scratches oh so much... and I do drop things a bit. $15 zagg might be worth the peace of mind, but that's only if I can apply it properly.

Quote:

But the one thing that ipod cannot do (without a 350$ accessory) is output a lossless stream.

I had an IHP, never actually used it that way. I went with the whole "less is more", since it was more a portable than transportable for me.

Dec 16, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #21 of 108
If you are so uncertain about your purchase then it's time to cancel.
atsmile.gif
It seems pretty straightforward as to what your preferences are and nothing can change that, apparently. One thing about the inherent sound quality of iPods - they are known to be neutral and sterile as compared to other players. Zune and Sony X are supposed to be better in this regard.

If it's the features that you want then the answer is simple, get the iPod. If you want sound quality then audition the players, nobody can tell you what you will like, besides you yourself. Either way this thread is upto no good. You are just bashing people who are trying to go ga ga over your purchase
biggrin.gif
. It should be other way round when you purchase something new.

Dec 16, 2009 at 4:54 PM Post #22 of 108
It's just buyer's remorse, I'm always uncertain. Besides, can't cancel an order from Zune Originals.

Dec 16, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #23 of 108
Check out this link (Warning: heavy stream) YouTube - PCMag: Zune HD vs. iPod touch

For your applications Zune HD will be better, mainly because of the vastly superior OLED screen. The menu shouldn't be that big of an issue. Syncing should be effortless as well. I think you should be happy with your purchase. In summary :-

Advantages of ZuneHD

- Different sound quality (better for some but different anyway)
- More expansion capabilities (for an audiophile) if you want them in the future
- Vastly better screen
- Equally or more intuitive interface once you get used to it. For starters it may seem trivial but the larger font size in the menu is gonna be an important deal.
- Better graphics
- Different music management software
- Better looks (subjective)

Disadvantages
- Slower CPU
- Less apps (many apps on app store are redundant anyway)
- Online store not as good as itunes
- Not an apple offering. And no this is not sarcastic. Microsoft is a bit of a me too company and it sadly is reflected in their products. No matter how much you bash apple, the purposeful design of their products is unquestionable.
- More accessories for iPod

Considering its Microsoft, they will keep adding more apps so that part is gonna be covered with time. Jailbreaking is one thing where ipod is gonna be better. That also means hassles with updating the firmware to keep up with newer features, though. Most importantly, newer ipods are supposed to come in January, at least with higher capacities. That means you would still have had remorse even if you ordered a touch
biggrin.gif

Dec 16, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #24 of 108
Oh if I bought an ipod, I'd probably feel the same. I've seen all the videos and read all the reviews. And I would love a high capacity player, but I just can't justify the cost.

Dec 16, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #26 of 108
It's a nice player. More solidly built than the iPod, much better looking IMHO (I use an iPhone 3GS so I'm not an iPod hater) and much more pocketable. The disadvantage is screen size, but its a music player.

One thing you will miss out on is the iPhone app scene but really they get old and most are useful when you are away from home on 3G. If you are home for Wi-Fi then you have better machines to access data. I doubt MS can pull an Apple when it comes to garnering dev interest. They would need to release an MS phone.

I am constantly looking for a PMP only to use with this iPhone since I am not at all a fan of how it doesn't even let you create playlists on the fly. But I must admit Genius has really mitigated that situation. In fact it is one thing you should consider when choosing a DAP.

Also if you are going to be an amp carrying Head-Fi nerd like me, then you have to ask how the line-out is. The iPhone gives me nothing bad to say except for the need for a ridiculous dock thing sticking out the bottom. The first player that offers a regular normal line-out is worth some business. Some Nokia phones give you a software option to select Headphone or Line-Out when connecting a headphone. But I didn't find their playback to be all that great. They also tend to have high IM distortion.

Dec 16, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #27 of 108
Just pulled the trigger on the Zune HD myself. I really wanted the red one as well, but ended up going with Amazon (shipping + tax + no discounted price = $80 premium for red).

For me it came down to the interface and the ability to manage my music in a sane way (compared to say the T51 or the Sony X) along with good (great hopefully) SQ. Should be here Friday.

sxr71: If you want a "normal" LO check the T51/S:Flo2.

Dec 16, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #28 of 108
I bought a Noreve case my my Zune HD. That is my biggest complaint with the Zune HD, is that there are not many cases. Both Vaja and Noreve have cases though, I will post about it when I get it. The Case cost me about 70 bucks, but I am confident it will be good. It takes like 18 business days to make though ><.

Anyway, I have been loving my zune HD with my custom TF10 pros, and occasionally with my Pico. I bought one because I decided on getting a HTC phone instead of an I phone, so I wanted a good media player.

Dec 16, 2009 at 10:40 PM Post #29 of 108
I've been wanting an HD myself. It's gotten even more urgent since my wife stole my ipod!
smily_headphones1.gif
It was 32gb too *sigh*. So I'm obviously not an ipod hater. But I want the HD because I don't use a mac. I also don't like itunes. But to be fair I'm not too fond of the zune software in its current iteration either.

I also want the OLED screen and don't knock the zune pass. You might not think you'd use it enough to justify the expense, but you also get to keep 10 expiry free songs every month as well. So it's not a bad deal for the cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back