K701 thread
Dec 9, 2009 at 8:59 PM Post #361 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by Prog Rock Man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With a MF X-CANV8P the bass coming through my K702s is not particularly heavy, but it is very articulate, rhythmic and musical. My preference now is for a neutral sound, before I was bass head. I now prefer to hear the bass rather than to feel it. Must be getting older!

Agreed, bass isn't heavy through my 702's with an indeed hybrid, but i never find myself asking where was the bass when listening... im over 200 hours on myn and planning to go till at least 400 and see then if they still need more time before i take them out of the drawer every night. I too like Prog Rock Man am a bass head gone refined, accuracy is taking over my brain!! I think once you have heard the 701/2 you really can decide what sound you prefer and can make a good decision on a pair of cans you will be happy with. And i bet you would have a hard time saying no to a pair of the 70x's
k701smile.gif

Dec 9, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #362 of 2,619
Had mine around a couple of weeks or so an they are simply amazing - now they are hooked up to my LD Mk3 that is! I was not fond of them at first (compared to my MS1's) and they just did not work on my LD 1+ or my BTECH. Sounded better on the Creek, but the LD MK3 is a whole new ball game. Can't praise them enough - but you do seem to need the right amp. Very, very happy now and I've ordered a whole load of tubes...
normal_smile .gif

Dec 9, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #363 of 2,619
I just recieved my K702's as well, coming from the Alessandro line up (More in your face but not so much as the actual Grado) I kind of like the more laid back sound. The soundstage and details are really incredible as if the music just washes over you, its really an enjoyable experience
k701smile.gif

My music collection includes a lot of older rock, and modern as well as trance and electro, I feel the bass on these is sufficient for me, they dont slam but the bass sounds very good. You can hear the low tones real well! Right now i'm using them on a Bravo Hybrid amp, and when I can save enough I will get something better, but so far this is a decent match for a cheap price, comparing to the Essence amp with stock op amps.

So far I've had such a great experience listening to Tool, Disturbed, Nine inch Nails, Armin van Buuren, Guns n Roses, and Metallica. Another big plus with these for me is they are super comfy.. Can wear them all day if I wanted with no fatigue.

Mike

Dec 9, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #364 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhanja_trinanjan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And oh boy! The K701 is heavenly with female vocals. I am listening, agape with admiration, as I
write this.
k701smile.gif

If you want to hear something uncanny, get the Fairfield Four, "Standing in the Safety Zone". Five gospel guys (yes, five) a capella. I've never had any use for gospel, but this is an exception.

Dec 9, 2009 at 9:34 PM Post #365 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpoolinEclipse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just recieved my K702's as well, coming from the Alessandro line up (More in your face but not so much as the actual Grado) I kind of like the more laid back sound. The soundstage and details are really incredible as if the music just washes over you, its really an enjoyable experience
k701smile.gif

My music collection includes a lot of older rock, and modern as well as trance and electro, I feel the bass on these is sufficient for me, they dont slam but the bass sounds very good. You can hear the low tones real well! Right now i'm using them on a Bravo Hybrid amp, and when I can save enough I will get something better, but so far this is a decent match for a cheap price, comparing to the Essence amp with stock op amps.

So far I've had such a great experience listening to Tool, Disturbed, Nine inch Nails, Armin van Buuren, Guns n Roses, and Metallica. Another big plus with these for me is they are super comfy.. Can wear them all day if I wanted with no fatigue.

Mike

Set the EQ on to Bassbooster...then bang, the bass is full, deep and much better presented with zero distortion and deeper than the HD650s as these cans can really handle it.

Dec 9, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #366 of 2,619
Hi

i have been listening to AKG K701 for the last one week. So far they are really amazing as they provide the most speaker like presentation than any other headphone that i have heard. They are truly reference class and sound natural.

Dec 9, 2009 at 11:54 PM Post #367 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by niranhopper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi

i have been listening to AKG K701 for the last one week. So far they are really amazing as they provide the most speaker like presentation than any other headphone that i have heard. They are truly reference class and sound natural.

Completely agree with you! These will definately be keepers for me.
beerchug.gif

Dec 9, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #368 of 2,619
All I have to say is Miles Davis' Kind of Blue... Okay, I'll say more. With the 701 I feel like I'm sitting in a small jazz club in 1959. Right up front near Miles, John and Jimmy doin their thing. You can feel every bristle of the brush as Cobb tickles that skin with his brush. It's amazingly beautiful. And the 701 makes Kind of Blue magical.

Dec 10, 2009 at 1:11 AM Post #369 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by baka1969 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All I have to say is Miles Davis' Kind of Blue... Okay, I'll say more. With the 701 I feel like I'm sitting in a small jazz club in 1959. Right up front near Miles, John and Jimmy doin their thing. You can feel every bristle of the brush as Cobb tickles that skin with his brush. It's amazingly beautiful. And the 701 makes Kind of Blue magical.

I couldn't agree with you anymore Ross. Just absolutely brilliant. These cans are phenomenal with jazz...

Not mention about my favourite cans with Pink Floyd too!

Dec 10, 2009 at 1:22 AM Post #370 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I couldn't agree with you anymore Ross. Just absolutely brilliant. These cans are phenomenal with jazz...

Not mention about my favourite cans with Pink Floyd too!

Echoes!

Dec 10, 2009 at 1:36 AM Post #371 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by baka1969 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Echoes!

Actually the album Meddle is my favourite Pink Floyd album with my K701s...Echoes of course is the B side of the album!

Dec 10, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #373 of 2,619
I find these cans good for a lot of genres. Maybe I'm just weird. I bought a used HD650 and well, I just cannot understand why people can hate the K701 but like that headphone. To me, once defoamed [behind and in front of the driver], both headphones have some similarities.

Dec 10, 2009 at 5:47 AM Post #374 of 2,619
Wow, reading all these comments makes me start to wonder if I have a defective pair of K701's.......

I've had them for 2 years now but I never listen to them because I just can't stand to. They are nothing but treble, and physically painful to listen to as though daggers are being fired into my ear canals. Going back to Miles Davis in particular, the moment the horn section comes in I physically cringe every time. It's a harsh, glassy sound that is unenjoyable to listen to.

They're reasonably broken in, they're driven by good gear. Should I just give up on them? I've yet to find a pair of headphones that truly work for me, and having tried one of the best and come up short I'm losing hope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back