K701 thread
Sep 24, 2009 at 5:51 PM Post #331 of 2,619
I am using my 701's with my Little Dot MKIV SE and love them.

Sep 26, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #332 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, I do not believe a portable will be your best option. It will benefit but will not get the 70x to do what they can. Good voltage swing (more than 12v) and ample current reserves means a quality home amp is needed.
<snip>

I'm curious about how did you reach such a number. I'm thinking about building a solid state amp for my 701's and I'd like to make sure it can drive them properly.

cheers!

Nov 11, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #334 of 2,619
Hey, guys, is it true that recabling the k701 can make it easier to drive? Even to the point that is much easier to drive?

Some guy selling his recabled k701 said so.

Nov 12, 2009 at 12:27 AM Post #335 of 2,619
Hmmm.... another cable might only reduce the resistance by a few tenths (or more likely thousandths) of an ohm, so it is difficult to believe that it would make much difference in efficiency.

Nov 12, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #336 of 2,619
Just scored a hardly used pair of 701's for $150. Picking them up tomorrow.
I'm wondering does the 701's come with a mini jack and adapter ? Would like to plug them into my ipod to see if they work just in case the guy I'm buying them from doesn't have a way to play them.

Nov 12, 2009 at 11:44 PM Post #338 of 2,619
Picked up the used pair of 701's today for $150. They are in really nice condition. A few marks on the white rims but the marks cleaned up with magic eraser. The earcups are perfect and still velvet looking. They really are mint.
I had a chance earlier to listen to them and I really like them. My main listening is done through speakers but I do have a pair of HD600's. The 701's are really nice sounding. I don't find them to be sterile and bright as some say. To me they are very true and accurate from bottom to top without any coloration. I have not decided yet if the have less bass then the HD600. If they do it's very slight. What my first impressions are is the 701's have more accurate bass compared to the HD600's, it's not bloaty. The HD600's in comparison I find to have a slight warm coloration to them and I'm thinking this coloration extends down low making them appear to have more bass. To my ears the HD600 bass is not quite as accurate as the 701's. I really can't say that I like one more then the other. They both have their strengths. I would have a tough time choosing if someone told me that I had to give one up.

Nov 13, 2009 at 2:58 AM Post #341 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by hybwolf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Picked up the used pair of 701's today for $150. They are in really nice condition. A few marks on the white rims but the marks cleaned up with magic eraser. The earcups are perfect and still velvet looking. They really are mint.
I had a chance earlier to listen to them and I really like them. My main listening is done through speakers but I do have a pair of HD600's. The 701's are really nice sounding. I don't find them to be sterile and bright as some say. To me they are very true and accurate from bottom to top without any coloration. I have not decided yet if the have less bass then the HD600. If they do it's very slight. What my first impressions are is the 701's have more accurate bass compared to the HD600's, it's not bloaty. The HD600's in comparison I find to have a slight warm coloration to them and I'm thinking this coloration extends down low making them appear to have more bass. To my ears the HD600 bass is not quite as accurate as the 701's. I really can't say that I like one more then the other. They both have their strengths. I would have a tough time choosing if someone told me that I had to give one up.

As you noted these were used cans, and the K701s really need a whole lotta burn in to tame the treble (about 300 hours IMO). Once there, there is no harsh treble what so ever.

I think a lot of people give up on them before they hit this mark and this label stuck.

Nov 13, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #342 of 2,619
AKG K701's were my dream headphone and I used to spend hours drooling over them. They were my desktop wallpaper for a very long time and I can't tell how many hours I spent reading and re-reading reviews of them online. Finally I came to US from India and went to J&R to give them a try. I was running them through Airhead and it blew me away. I tried Sennheiser HD-650, Grado RS2, Grado GS1000 and few other headphones. It was a clear choice for me for AKG K701 for the brilliant soundstage and tonality. I got them home and paired them with HeadRoom Ultra Micro Amp and wow. I was really in Love with the Music I was hearing.

I own Denon AN-D7000 and they are fun cans and they match wonderful with Ultra Micro Amp and I am now trying to find the right match for my beloved AKG K701. I understand why many people hate the headphone but for me they are one of the best I have heard. They separate the instruments wonderfully and they suit me lots cause I love to pick each instrument apart in every song I hear.

I wish I can try Grace M902 soon with my headphones. I am praying that they match well with my K701 as I prefer Solid State amps and I hear grace M902 is a pretty good amp.

Nov 13, 2009 at 6:29 AM Post #344 of 2,619
any amp that has a whole bunch of power, decent circuit and is SS will be fine
IMHO they are not that hard to get sounding ace

EDIT - that is not to say hybrid and tube amps won't sound good, but that travelling down that road is a lot less rewarding!

Nov 13, 2009 at 2:45 PM Post #345 of 2,619
I'm really enjoying the 701's that I picked up yesterday. They sound fabulous with classical music.
I removed the earpads last night to clean them and didn't notice when I removed the pads that they are wedge shaped, one side of the pad is thicker then the other side. Can someone tell me what side the thicker part of the pad goes, front, back, top, bottom?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back