K701 thread
Nov 13, 2009 at 2:52 PM Post #346 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by hybwolf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can someone tell me what side the thicker part of the pad goes, front, back, top, bottom?

thin to the front, so the drivers are angled towards your ears

Nov 16, 2009 at 6:19 AM Post #348 of 2,619
I've been loving my K701s ever since I got them, but there seem to be a couple of dark spots on the left driver membrane. Is this normal? The vocals seem to be a bit louder on the right side even though the two channels have equal volume. I checked using a volume meter from radioshack.

Nov 19, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #349 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by seraphjei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been loving my K701s ever since I got them, but there seem to be a couple of dark spots on the left driver membrane. Is this normal?

Earwax explosion, perhaps?

Nov 19, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #350 of 2,619
Just received my K701s two days ago and I am completely blown away. They are a replacement for a pair of RP-21s and old (think 1980s) Sansui SS-50s and obviously the contrast is night and day. I have it hooked into my father's Luxman 507x solid state amp with a 1980s Denon CD player feeding it and music has never sounded better!

Nov 19, 2009 at 5:13 PM Post #351 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbarach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Earwax explosion, perhaps?

Not very plausible. 701's don't exert enough bass to cause spontaneous cerumen sonication.
wink_face.gif

Nov 19, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #352 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not very plausible. 701's don't exert enough bass to cause spontaneous cerumen sonication.
wink_face.gif

Even if they did, low frequency waves would push cerum down into the brain - poor Grado/Ultrasone ownsers
very_evil_smiley.gif

BTW, I still wonder if so many people have broken drivers in their K701/2s, 'cos mine have a very good bass
k701smile.gif

Nov 19, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #353 of 2,619
Yeah... I was just taking the p*** there. Truly, I'd love to snag myself a pair of K702's and a Heed amp, one of these days. Especially for listening to jazz and atmospheric music over longer periods. I kind of envision myself in a old leather chair, with a fine scotch and cigar in hand. It would be blissful, I'm sure.
icon10.gif

Nov 19, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #354 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sasahara /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just received my K701s two days ago and I am completely blown away. They are a replacement for a pair of RP-21s and old (think 1980s) Sansui SS-50s and obviously the contrast is night and day. I have it hooked into my father's Luxman 507x solid state amp with a 1980s Denon CD player feeding it and music has never sounded better!

I would really wait until you get a couple hundred of hours on them and they will really shine.

I just replaced a lost set of K701s (that were burned in) with a new set this week, and wow...right out of the box, they are no where as good as my others were.

In about a month, I should have these new ones set.

Cheers and enjoy!

Nov 20, 2009 at 5:32 AM Post #356 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamWysokinski /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW, I still wonder if so many people have broken drivers in their K701/2s, 'cos mine have a very good bass
k701smile.gif

That's because some other phones have A LOT OF bass. I just got a pair of Darth Beyer and, comparing them to my k702, the bass on the Darths are INSANE. The k702 is just a different experience, its almost 3D soundstage gives a more pure, laid back approach to music and is very enjoyable.

Nov 21, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #357 of 2,619
The accuracy of these phones is amazing, both in imaging and tonality, comparable to nothing i've heard. I've heard them once off a beta22 and the presentation, espcially ambience, was cringingly holographic. Really refernce like.

Nov 21, 2009 at 7:29 AM Post #358 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by choka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's because some other phones have A LOT OF bass. I just got a pair of Darth Beyer and, comparing them to my k702, the bass on the Darths are INSANE. The k702 is just a different experience, its almost 3D soundstage gives a more pure, laid back approach to music and is very enjoyable.

The question is whether there are insane quantities of bass in records. I rarely listen to bass-heavy music, though I enjoy dub very, very much on my K701. When listening through my Sugden rig I had the feeling that music sounds too "light" and lacks body. Since now everything sounds ok to me, I guess this was just an issue of headphone amplifier power. These AKG are very demanding (in terms of current) cans and this is the root of the majority of bass problems with K701/2.

Dec 9, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #359 of 2,619
Just received my K702's last week. I only have about 50 hours on them so far, but I already love what I'm hearing with my LD MKIV. I'm hoping the clamping pressure lightens up on my jaw bone though.

Dec 9, 2009 at 7:57 PM Post #360 of 2,619
With a MF X-CANV8P the bass coming through my K702s is not particularly heavy, but it is very articulate, rhythmic and musical. My preference now is for a neutral sound, before I was bass head. I now prefer to hear the bass rather than to feel it. Must be getting older!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back