K701 thread
Dec 10, 2009 at 6:07 AM Post #377 of 2,619
Well I don't get why they are polarising. I now have a HD650. It sounds different but not that different that you'd call the other the worse phone ever. What can you say baka1969?

Then again, music genres. I don't hear any horns in my music [well not very often]. I don't know what they should sound like either. My hearing is poor [for my age]. I'm not musically inclined. etc etc etc

Dec 10, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #379 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Prog rock and the 701s are a real treat.

With you there
beerchug.gif

Dec 10, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #380 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by MomijiTMO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I don't get why they are polarising. I now have a HD650. It sounds different but not that different that you'd call the other the worse phone ever. What can you say baka1969?

Then again, music genres. I don't hear any horns in my music [well not very often]. I don't know what they should sound like either. My hearing is poor [for my age]. I'm not musically inclined. etc etc etc

I always seem to want to listen to the 701 for mostly everything. I'd hate to make an evaluation yet between my three main 'phones. But if I'm forced... really forced to decide, the 701 is the front runner. The sound is so clean, crisp and balanced. The 650 has such a rich and silky sound to them but the 701 is more neutral.

I'm compelled to rotate my cans daily. When I'm wearing the Senn or the Grado, I sometimes wish I was wearing the AKG. I think that's the biggest compliment I can give them.

Dec 10, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #381 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by lordearl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
momiji - have you tried listening to a horn sonata or concerto to test your hearing?

No mate, I shall be looking hard though. It's a bit hard for me anyways because it's obviously not part of my normal brekky of music but I do have 2 headphones so I'll try and hear the differences which I'm sure there are!

Anyone else heard a horn sonata or concerto?

Quote:

Originally Posted by baka1969 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I always seem to want to listen to the 701 for mostly everything. I'd hate to make an evaluation yet between my three main 'phones. But if I'm forced... really forced to decide, the 701 is the front runner. The sound is so clean, crisp and balanced. The 650 has such a rich and silky sound to them but the 701 is more neutral.

I'm compelled to rotate my cans daily. When I'm wearing the Senn or the Grado, I sometimes wish I was wearing the AKG. I think that's the biggest compliment I can give them.

Hmm. Make a brief eval!!!!!

lol

But seriously, to me, the key differences are soundstage and warmth.

Another HD650 owner said that the K701 has a metallic colouration. I don't agree with that but does anyone here agree with his observations. He's not wrong or anything because what he hears is what he hears. As for the usual, "It's too bright" comment, well I fell it's not that bright.

Dec 10, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #383 of 2,619
Have paired up my K701 with my new WA6 (stock) lately, and I'm loving it listening to it for soft ballads... vocals ound absolutely beautiful and bass has a great resonating feel. I had concerns with it being a tube amp and everything but since it's transformer coupled with impedence switch it's thankfully worked out very well... I know stock Sovtek tube isn't liked by many cuz of its over-basiness, but it's good with K701 as it adds that needed bottom end and makes it a bit warmer. Overall WA6 definitely has better smoothness, detail, and bottom end then the old C200 amp I was using before, though latter has more power and better soundstage.

Dec 10, 2009 at 11:14 PM Post #384 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by lordearl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
any of the Mozart concertos would be worthwhile hearing, Beethoven wrote a great horn sonata too

or you could try IMHO the best Pink Floyd track - atom heart mother!

Gotcha. At 1:02 [onwards] it sounds very different on the K701. Now I don't know which is more realistic so I can't really comment but the K701 just seems to make the horns louder and not as smooth [honky?] compared to the HD650 which is kind of unpleasant. It could be the Senns doing what Senns do - making everything nice to listen to.

Dec 10, 2009 at 11:42 PM Post #389 of 2,619
btw you should find that the harshness of the K701 dissipates into beautiful treble after a few hundred hours

with beyerdynamics you lose some detail, but that can be nice for longer listening periods anyways

Users who are viewing this thread

Back