K701 thread
Dec 13, 2009 at 8:56 AM Post #391 of 2,619
So I saw this image while browsing thru the net. K701 lovers will love this as well. Enjoy:
55857__468x_nishieda-05.jpg

I guess someone likes his 701s a lot.
tongue.gif

Dec 26, 2009 at 2:11 AM Post #392 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xcalibur255 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
physically painful to listen to as though daggers are being fired into my ear canals.

Turns out this was only partially the fault of the headphones. It seems my CD player has major problems with jitter. Switching to a new transport produced a big change, with much of the graininess that was bothering me before now gone. The upper midrange bump in the K701 response still doesn't agree with me, but I can listen to them now without feeling like I'm punishing myself for something at least.

Jan 8, 2010 at 8:49 AM Post #394 of 2,619
Hi all,

I've noticed in this thread that the comments are that the AKG 701s sound speaker like as if the sound is 'far from the ears', and not in your head. I have found this to be the case when trying out the 701 in a shop.

So I got the 702 online (thinking it would sound the same) but I still haven't got a decent amp as its out of stock, and will have to wait another few weeks or more... When listening from a computer sound card and from a Cowon player, the soundstage is not speaker like and seems more in your head...

Do they (701 and 702) sound similar from this point of view (is the sound stage and the fact that the sound seems to come from outside your head)?

Jan 8, 2010 at 11:41 AM Post #395 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by musico /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do they (701 and 702) sound similar from this point of view (is the sound stage and the fact that the sound seems to come from outside your head)?

My impressions comparing the two here:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/k70...e-same-432380/

Of course, that was comparing a well broken in K701 with a relatively new K702.

Jan 8, 2010 at 2:03 PM Post #396 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by 12Bass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My impressions comparing the two here:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/k70...e-same-432380/

Of course, that was comparing a well broken in K701 with a relatively new K702.

It's not a valid comparison, since every reviewer and nearly every owner of these phones (including me) notices a significant difference after break-in. When I got my 702's, they were very thin in the midrange right out of the box. After wrapping them in towels and playing a variety of music through them for a couple of weeks, the thinness had gone. I notice more detail in listening to them now than I did after break-in, but the change is much less noticeable than the effects of breaking them in. Very recently, I purchased a new cable to connect my CD player to my headphone amp, and the 702 let me hear the difference between the $6 wire I got at The Shack (its new preferred name) and the $40 cable I bought from Headroom.

Jan 8, 2010 at 2:15 PM Post #397 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbarach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not a valid comparison, since every reviewer and nearly every owner of these phones (including me) notices a significant difference after break-in. ...

FWIW, the K702 had been used for a few months before the comparison, with a significant amount of time spent burning in with music while I was sleeping. Would be interesting to make another comparison now....

Jan 8, 2010 at 2:56 PM Post #398 of 2,619
Sitting in at around 50 hours on my AKG K701
k701smile.gif
and already seeing great improvements from first play. Awesome set of cans.

Jan 9, 2010 at 8:09 AM Post #399 of 2,619
OK, I did my own comparison of the AKG 702 (burn in about 2 hours) and a shop demo AKG 701 a few months in use (which I also heard when it first came out of the box).

I found that the 701 has a more prominent highs and higher treble. The 702 has more prominent lower treble and bass. The highs on the 702 seem to be much less noticeable. And this is for all notes and applies to the overtones, eg a piano in its midrage and even in its lower notes sounds brighter and lighter as the higher overtones can be heard on the 701. On the 702s these are less emphasised and the feeling this gives to the music is that it makes it sound darker. They are both accurate headphones but imparts quite a different feel. The 701s being more lively in the highs to me sounds more energizing and invigorating. But if you want that darker sound then go for the 702.

The detailing is similar, and the sound stage is mostly similar from what I can tell, though others have noticed a difference here.

If you haven't bought them yet and undecided between the 701 ant the 702, I would suggest a listen to them before you buy them!

And the difference between the 701 new and burnt in, as expected is that the highs are no longer harsh.

Jan 19, 2010 at 5:31 AM Post #400 of 2,619
Ordered some K702's earlier from Amazon, I'm surprised how well they are priced these days, ~$270 new!

Should be in Thursday, can't wait. I remember hearing these at a meet and falling in love with what they did with vocals. Though I heard them through Absorbine_sr's Zana Duex and his at the time Musical Fidelity CDP, but I think they will have plenty of similar qualities through my current setup.

Just couldn't justify the cost for the RS-1's, and I wanted something smoother and "bigger" sounding. Bought them new to enjoy the burn in process.

Jan 19, 2010 at 5:44 AM Post #401 of 2,619
Congrats. While many are flocking to the higher priced cans, the K701/2's are sort of being forgotten by prospective buyers, hence the price. I just got mine as well and I'm deeply impressed with them. I genuinely don't think that my Ed8's are better cans in sound quality. They just sound different. I have a feeling that moving further up the chain to an HD800 would make for modest improvements if at all. The K702's are sounding that good to me now.

Jan 19, 2010 at 5:46 AM Post #402 of 2,619
Great cans, ~ 10 hours now. A minor quibble in the headband area w/ the bumps. Getting prolific indentations on my head after use. Doh. Thinking of knifing them. Other than that
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back