K701 thread
Dec 19, 2023 at 6:44 PM Post #2,611 of 2,619
Yesterday, I learned quite a bit about my K701s. They are extremely picky when it comes to positioning, but I was able to get a really, really nice sound out of them.

What I discovered was that if I put the thick side of the pads in the front instead of the rear, I get a much better seal. If I put the thick side in the rear (the normal way), it caused a loose seal, thus a much brighter/thinner sound. Then, I positioned the K701s so that my ears touched the ear. All in all, this improved the bass response and smoothed out the treble (for the better, in my opinion). The signature 2 kHz peak is still there but is nowhere as bad and is quite enjoyable. The soundstage is maybe a bit less, but this does not bother me too much, as the more balanced sound is worth it.

I'll have to see what I can do with my Yaxi pads, but for now, I much prefer stock pads over the Yaxi pads.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2024 at 5:32 AM Post #2,612 of 2,619
Yesterday, I learned quite a bit about my K701s. They are extremely picky when it comes to positioning, but I was able to get a really, really nice sound out of them.

What I discovered was that if I put the thick side of the pads in the front instead of the rear, I get a much better seal. If I put the thick side in the rear (the normal way), it caused a loose seal, thus a much brighter/thinner sound. Then, I positioned the K701s so that my ears touched the ear. All in all, this improved the bass response and smoothed out the treble (for the better, in my opinion). The signature 2 kHz peak is still there but is nowhere as bad and is quite enjoyable. The soundstage is maybe a bit less, but this does not bother me too much, as the more balanced sound is worth it.

I'll have to see what I can do with my Yaxi pads, but for now, I much prefer stock pads over the Yaxi pads.

The Yaxi Comfort pads does wonders to the k712s
I purchased the k701 recently, I probably won't listen to them a lot but will display them.
you may want to try and give a listen without the circular dampening foams behind the paddings

Jan 25, 2024 at 8:40 PM Post #2,613 of 2,619
Being a former Akg 701 fan ( my headphone band on my Akg 701 literally wore out after probably close to 10 years of use). I moved up to the Akg 712 now. I would like to suggest something that really improved the sound quality of the 701 very noticeably. I suggest that 701 owners upgrade the standard headphone plug with the Furutech brass headphone plug. When that is done it takes a lot of the akg 701s shortcomings away or at least minimizes them. The bass gets much better the sound fills out and the sound staging improves as well. Believe me you will not be disappointed with the result. I upgraded the plug on my Akg 701s and never looked back.

Jan 25, 2024 at 9:14 PM Post #2,614 of 2,619
Being a former Akg 701 fan ( my headphone band on my Akg 701 literally wore out after probably close to 10 years of use). I moved up to the Akg 712 now. I would like to suggest something that really improved the sound quality of the 701 very noticeably. I suggest that 701 owners upgrade the standard headphone plug with the Furutech brass headphone plug. When that is done it takes a lot of the akg 701s shortcomings away or at least minimizes them. The bass gets much better the sound fills out and the sound staging improves as well. Believe me you will not be disappointed with the result. I upgraded the plug on my Akg 701s and never looked back.
Does that apply to the k712s as well? If I get those plugs

Jan 26, 2024 at 3:08 PM Post #2,615 of 2,619
Which adapter is exactly that you have? Is a 6.3mm to 3.5mm connecteor?

Feb 1, 2024 at 11:46 PM Post #2,616 of 2,619
It is not an adaptor. It is the standard sized jack plug. The standard jack plug has to replaced by the Furutech standard brass plug they sell. It makes a very noticeable improvement in the sound of the akg 701s.

Feb 2, 2024 at 12:09 AM Post #2,617 of 2,619
Does that apply to the k712s as well? If I get those plugs
I suppose you could replace the standard connector on the k 712 as well with the standard furutech brass headphone plug. I have upgraded the cable on my K 712 to the silver dragon cable from moon audio. I still have the stock cable that came with my K712. The plug upgrade would probably be even more noticeable on the K 712. The cable that Akg supplies with the K 712 is better than the captive cable that comes with the k 701.

Furutech Connector FP-704(G) 1/4'' Headhone Jack is the connector I was referring to.​

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back