Been busy at work lately, but have managed to keep some time in the workshop going...
I have managed to finally tweak a stock pair to my liking. Final configuration is:
Stiffened craft felt with no holes punched over the back of the driver
Two balls of cotton teased out and placed in the wells of the cups
Dynamat in the wells of the cups, and over the vents and the blank spot above the arm hangar in the cup.
Akasa Paxmate over that
Silverstone ladderring over the Akasa
Putty in the baffle and sealing the baffles to the cups
A 1/8 th inch hole drilled in below where the vents were
To round out that home-made, Darth Vader look I used acetone to remove all printing on the cups.
Fun experiments I did along the way before coming to that configuration:
MDF square instead of black felt over the back of the driver (killed the bass completely)
MDF square with lots of random little holes drilled in it instead of black felt over the driver (loads of bass, might revisit that one later and try it again in conjunction with different cup-filling materials)
The above MDF square with no holes over the back of the driver and an MDF square with holes drilled over the front of the driver....think primitive fazor (still bassless...fazor made no difference)
Small square of adhesive felt with a hole punched in the middle stuck onto the white felt over the back of the driver (...meh...)
I also did these in Rosewood for an Instagram friend who asked to do the assembly himself (thanks for the cable @cCasper TFG