Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Apr 11, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #11,072 of 11,345
Apr 16, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #11,074 of 11,345
Apr 16, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #11,075 of 11,345
Been mucking about in the garage again...this time Paduak:

Also traded a Woody build for these two pairs:

Looking forward to more ortho madness! TDS 5 M and TDS16

Apr 17, 2015 at 12:38 AM Post #11,076 of 11,345
What the heck is that a paintjob on the TDS5M? Has to be.??? ( need to know )
That'll be the only faded red known, that I am aware of, if it is legit. wait those are stock pads too aren't they..so that meanssssss....
blink.gif
cool stuff

Hope you get the regular bassy version not the bass " lite ". If it turns out to be bass "lite ' prepare for some intense mods. I did one up with some success according to the owner.

I rather enjoy the larger TDS-16 stock form ( pads redone ). I can't tell if they are larger drivers or simply the same ones as in the smaller TDS16. It could very well be either, quoted specs have been wrong before and there are  versionsthat have black strain relief vs. blue and red versions= identical black strain relief to the smaller ones. Who knows. I have not opened them yet.

Plans for either of those?

Back on topic though:

Cups looking seriously great. I have to fetch an old school smaller lathe from storage and get moving on some cups also. thanks for the continuing inspiration.
BTW GREAT SCORE!

Apr 17, 2015 at 3:15 AM Post #11,077 of 11,345
Apr 17, 2015 at 3:15 AM Post #11,078 of 11,345
Hope you get the regular bassy version not the bass " lite ". If it turns out to be bass "lite ' prepare for some intense mods. I did one up with some success according to the owner.

More than "some" success.. the owner thinks you pretty much nailed them! :)

Apr 17, 2015 at 7:56 AM Post #11,079 of 11,345
What the heck is that a paintjob on the TDS5M? Has to be.??? ( need to know )
That'll be the only faded red known, that I am aware of, if it is legit. wait those are stock pads too aren't they..so that meanssssss....:blink:

I rather enjoy the larger TDS-16 stock form ( pads redone ). I can't tell if they are larger drivers or simply the same ones as in the smaller TDS16. It could very well be either, quoted specs have been wrong before and there are  versionsthat have black strain relief vs. blue and red versions= identical black strain relief to the smaller ones. Who knows. I have not opened them yet.

Plans for either of those?

Back on topic though:

Cups looking seriously great. I have to fetch an old school smaller lathe from storage and get moving on some cups also. thanks for the continuing inspiration.
BTW GREAT SCORE!

So the trader is a fellow head-fier...he was going to send me a straight black pair. There were problems though, and so he switched them out for these, which he said are a genuine, stock red pair, no mods...both pairs of cans are NOS. This is my first time around with any ortho aside from the T50rp...REALLY looking forward to the experience.

Between those and your Zens, you're a busy boy!

Just a little...need to slow down. Also got a new amp in the mail yesterday. A very minty vintage Advent 300. Sounds gorgeous, especially the phono stage. Drives the unwoodied, modded T50rp and the Zens very well...

Apr 22, 2015 at 11:38 PM Post #11,080 of 11,345

Finally had a tiny bit of spare time to make some really fast baffles from some poplar I had in the garage. Taped the alpha pads to the cups, with no mods, these don't sound good. They have "air" to them, but, just no....so I'll try heavy felt on back of drivers, other pads, then finally, I'll simply close the cups and do the normal t50 mods!

Apr 22, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #11,081 of 11,345
Stratocaster successfully tuned (very flat) a bunch of open T50RP mods, he mentioned he had to dampen the driver quite tightly for it to perform correctly (some sort of felt + paper + medium density foam IIRC). I think you will need at least very dense felt or additional paper / micropore layers over the stock damping AND a disc of medium density open-cell foam to get good results (packing foam works fine).

Apr 23, 2015 at 12:05 AM Post #11,082 of 11,345
Stratocaster successfully tuned (very flat) a bunch of open T50RP mods, he mentioned he had to dampen the driver quite tightly for it to perform correctly (some sort of felt + paper + medium density foam IIRC). I think you will need at least very dense felt or additional paper / micropore layers over the stock damping AND a disc of medium density open-cell foam to get good results (packing foam works fine).

at that point, is there any point in it being open back? with all that may as well just make a full wood closed cup for them.

Apr 23, 2015 at 2:09 AM Post #11,083 of 11,345
I don't think either the felt or foam will reflect much (if any) of the backwave, in contrast to a cup, so you will not have to worry about internal damping. It will also be easier to achieve a smooth FR with such semi open back.
In my experience, a major contributor to the 'closed-in' sound is an underdamped, reflecting earpad that boosts bass and interacts with the treble negatively. My current pair doesn't sound any more closed than the K7XX, in fact I think they sound more even and realistic. I'm using the HM5 velour pads which are fairly leaky and absorb a lot of the treble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back