Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Feb 14, 2015 at 10:05 AM Post #10,996 of 11,346
Incremental mods since post #10975...

BALANCED CABLE

Spoiler alert... The balanced cable didn't make much improvement to the SQ, only a small improvement to the sound stage and seperation

The 3.5mm socket was making a poor connection (right side cutting out periodically), and I brought a balanced cable for my Audeze LCD-2F with me, so I installed two Amphenol AG4MCC 4-Pin Mini XLR Male Chassis Connectors. I used an awl tool to remove the locknut:

Unsoldered and removed the socket.

Positioned the XLR locknut on the inside of the cup, and used a warm soldering iron to burn a hole from inside the cup, in the center of the nut ...

Using a slow speed, I drilled through from the outside using a 10mm bit. I did not need to remove any of the old socket bracket, as the drill bit cut right through it.

I pre wired the XLR sockets. Soldering was tricky. I got the pin-out diagram on Google, and I tested my wiring with a small battery before plugging into my amp

I plugged the the female plugs on the balanced cable into the sockets during installation, to guide them and tighten them up. Had to place the lock washer on the outside to seat the socket securely.

I masked the outside of the old 3.5mm socket, and fIlled under the XLR socket with hot glue. Used black felt tip to blacken the hot glue.

Results:
Left and right cups are now reversed on my head.
Balanced cable is microphonic.
I now need only the middle setting on the gain switch of the CEntrance M8.

TUNING FOR Brainwavz HM5 Velor Memory Foam Pads

Started with the DBV#3 mods...
http://www.head-fi.org/t/618659/fostex-t50rp-incremental-mods-and-measurements#user_Simplified_and_Consolidated_Pictorial_for_DBV_3

The HM5 pads looked more comfortable, so I purchased them to see ...

I used a hair dryer to help with the pre-stretching of the HM5 pads. I slowly stretched the edge of the rubber pad lip as I pulled it onto the cups.

My musical taste is mostly Jazz and Classical. I wanted more volume and weight to the bass, but retaining clear mids and highs. I cut six 5mm holes in the stiff felt pad. Removed cotton balls and used a small amount of pillow batting.

This gave me good bass quantity (albeit with a bit of bloom and a reduction in speed ... A fair compromise). Mids, vocals, and treble are clear and smooth. No sibilance, and tight cymbals and high hats.

The velour pads are VERY comfortable... Reminds me of the HD800s I recently auditioned. Lost some of the isolation, and they leak a tiny amount.

EDIT: I have switched back to the 840 pads. I have compromised on SQ vs. comfort. The 840 pads have tighter and faster bass, which is important to my enjoyment of my Jazz albums

COMFORT STRAP

I got a sheet of leather, black waxed string, and a hole punch from Michaels. For my large head the strap is 26cm. Use less for smaller heads. To get the curve, I used the edge of a 48" glass table...

I punched a 3mm hole about 8mm from the end, slit the leather at the side and punched two 2mm holes for the stitch. Used a cheap elastic hair tie. I like the elastic flexibility when getting a comfortable position on my head.

The "final" result (at least till I get another idea!):

Feb 15, 2015 at 7:46 PM Post #10,999 of 11,346
...spent a fun morning over at my friend's place today. He had a spare lathe, and was willing to sell it for a bargain price. First he wanted to give me some basic lessons though (as any good friend would).

Its sitting in the garage now, tomorrow I'll steal some time and set it up on my bench. Already thinking of a few different things I want to try for making more woodies. I know once I have it down it will definitely make my current design much easier to make...

Feb 15, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #11,000 of 11,346
  ...spent a fun morning over at my friend's place today. He had a spare lathe, and was willing to sell it for a bargain price. First he wanted to give me some basic lessons though (as any good friend would).

Its sitting in the garage now, tomorrow I'll steal some time and set it up on my bench. Already thinking of a few different things I want to try for making more woodies. I know once I have it down it will definitely make my current design much easier to make...

Nice! Turning is fun.

Feb 17, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #11,001 of 11,346

Just got this 1950s shopsmith for free. Only using it as a lathe I have better seperate machines for everything else it does. Can't wait to see if I have the patience to make some nice cups!

Feb 17, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #11,002 of 11,346

Just got this 1950s shopsmith for free. Only using it as a lathe I have better seperate machines for everything else it does. Can't wait to see if I have the patience to make some nice cups!

NICE!

Feb 22, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #11,004 of 11,346
Feb 22, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #11,005 of 11,346
I'm not allowed to disclose the price. However I can tell you it would only be a limited edition and with direct to consumer pricing I think it would be around 150-200. I have my own machine shop with a CNC 3d printer and could mold the parts plastic parts with resin. I just curious if people would be interested in something like this.
Wow, gourgous. Is all I can find words for

On a different note, that's pretty sweet of fostex, what was the cost if you don't mind me asking? It would be a blast to design customs without buying a whole set of cans

Feb 22, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #11,006 of 11,346
I'm not allowed to disclose the price. However I can tell you it would only be a limited edition and with direct to consumer pricing I think it would be around 150-200. I have my own machine shop with a CNC 3d printer and could mold the parts plastic parts with resin. I just curious if people would be interested in something like this.

I for one would be interested....

Feb 22, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #11,007 of 11,346
Fascinating, very nice design, I would consider leaving a bit of empty space in the cup rears to allow for various combinations of damping materials to be added and experimented on. Other than that looks amazing.

Feb 22, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #11,008 of 11,346

Fascinating, very nice design, I would consider leaving a bit of empty space in the cup rears to allow for various combinations of damping materials to be added and experimented on. Other than that looks amazing.

Thanks I just put up a new rendering. I going to add a leather head band to it and maybe and open version with laser cut holes. and there is a bit of space 7.5mm I was going to do dynamat and wool. Maybe a plastic version with even more space.

Feb 22, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #11,009 of 11,346

Thanks I just put up a new rendering. I going to add a leather head band to it and maybe and open version with laser cut holes. and there is a bit of space 7.5mm I was going to do dynamat and wool. Maybe a plastic version with even more space.

Where / When do I sign up?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back