JH Audio JH-3A
Nov 11, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #1,306 of 2,681

Quote:
Timing.  The whole point of the active DSP is to precisely control the drivers which includes getting the timing right across the drivers.  If you significantly change the cable length or medium, you might add slight signal propagation deltas which were not factored in when your unit was tuned at JHA.

I'm not sure I buy that reason. Instantaneous speed of electrons in copper is roughly 2/3 the speed of light. A slightly longer cable will not affect timing adversely in any noticeable way. I think the resistance/capacitance/inductance of the wire would be bigger problems.

Nov 11, 2010 at 7:45 PM Post #1,308 of 2,681

Quote:
I'm not sure I buy that reason. Instantaneous speed of electrons in copper is roughly 2/3 the speed of light. A slightly longer cable will not affect timing adversely in any noticeable way. I think the resistance/capacitance/inductance of the wire would be bigger problems.

it is about timing. differing the length of the cables will change the phase of the signal that reaches the drivers, and the entire point of the 3A is that you have perfect phase alignment across the frequency spectrum.

i would not use an aftermarket cable, without either sending the unit back for retuning, or sending JH the cable before they tuned it in the first place

Nov 11, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #1,309 of 2,681
You would think that if there was a tiny delay added with a longer cable, the fact that the leads are still all the same length would balance it out so it wouldn't matter. But that's not the case, according to JH.

Jerry was more specific when he mentioned it to me (particular boosts to some bit of frequency) but I just remember that a minor adjustment would be needed if the cable length was changed.

On an interesting and somewhat unrelated note, an adapter/cable solution for using the JH3A IEMs directly from a single ended source would be basically not possible. Jerry said that you would get about the performance of a dual-driver 'phone. =\

Nov 12, 2010 at 9:01 AM Post #1,310 of 2,681

Quote:
Quote:
Timing.  The whole point of the active DSP is to precisely control the drivers which includes getting the timing right across the drivers.  If you significantly change the cable length or medium, you might add slight signal propagation deltas which were not factored in when your unit was tuned at JHA.

I don't believe in cables as some do on this forum at all in terms of changing the sound signature, but this is different:  The JH3A is actively tuned for the EXACT phases measurements.  I will suspect that using TWAG or some aftermarket cable which changes both the length and medium would require *slight* adjustments - I actually doubt you will hear night and day differences between the stock cable and a TWAG (talk to Jerry he knows best!).

Nov 12, 2010 at 11:41 AM Post #1,312 of 2,681
if i'm not mistaken a twag cable will be available for the jh3a but i think that jha is not going to get into the aftermarket cable business as there may be other vendors who can supply alternate choices for recabling jha products (though i'm not so sure about the 3a).

Nov 12, 2010 at 1:18 PM Post #1,314 of 2,681
I have read that different frequencies travel through wire at different speeds; I think it was the high frequencies that travel faster on the inner core of the wire, while the lower frequencies travel along the outside edges. If true, this would certainly add a wrinkle to the equation, which would also have to take into account the type and quality of the wire, it's cable geometry and design, as well as the type of metal used and it's relative purity. In the end, you find your number and multiply it by the cable length, but there is a lot involved in finding out that number and it would be different for every variety of cable; length would be the easy part.

Nov 14, 2010 at 12:47 PM Post #1,316 of 2,681
I have read that different frequencies travel through wire at different speeds; I think it was the high frequencies that travel faster on the inner core of the wire, while the lower frequencies travel along the outside edges. If true, this would certainly add a wrinkle to the equation, which would also have to take into account the type and quality of the wire, it's cable geometry and design, as well as the type of metal used and it's relative purity. In the end, you find your number and multiply it by the cable length, but there is a lot involved in finding out that number and it would be different for every variety of cable; length would be the easy part.

Did you happen to catch what frequency rAnge? My understanding is you are talking about freq's way above human hearing.

Nov 14, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #1,317 of 2,681

Quote:
Quote:

Did you happen to catch what frequency rAnge? My understanding is you are talking about freq's way above human hearing.

yeah, hes talking about the skin effect, which causes high frequencies to only travel along the outside of a cable, which raises the resistance seen by the signal, but this happens pretty far outside the hearing range. But as far as i know the speeds arent different for different frequencies.

Nov 14, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #1,318 of 2,681

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

yeah, hes talking about the skin effect, which causes high frequencies to only travel along the outside of a cable, which raises the resistance seen by the signal, but this happens pretty far outside the hearing range. But as far as i know the speeds arent different for different frequencies.

Here's a easily understandable powerpoint presentation that puts it into layman's terms   
very_evil_smiley.gif
popcorn.gif

http://cseweb.ucsd.edu/classes/wi06/cse291-b/slide/let3/skineffect.ppt  

Nov 14, 2010 at 4:05 PM Post #1,319 of 2,681

AI'm sure an aftermarket cable will not upset the time space continuum, that said I do not think the twag does anything to improve the jh13s. Sadly I say this with one currently for sale. I have one and never use it.

I think there is a clear improvement(change) going to TWag but I also went from single ended to balanced on the Protector at the same time so don't really know wich part did what

Nov 14, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #1,320 of 2,681
the protector noticeably widens sound stage.  Interconnects I got at the same time I got my HD650 protector cables did absolutely nothing, and was hence promptly returned (and replaced w/ monoprice cables).  The way I see it, if cables really made as big a difference as some people claim, hp/IEM manufacturers should have more than enough expertise and resources at hand to create their own uber-cable compared to the mom-and-pop operations people are going to today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back