1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

JH Audio JH-3A

First

Back
78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87
89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98
Next

Last
  1. semisight

Quote:

I'm not sure I buy that reason. Instantaneous speed of electrons in copper is roughly 2/3 the speed of light. A slightly longer cable will not affect timing adversely in any noticeable way. I think the resistance/capacitance/inductance of the wire would be bigger problems.

2. RYDMOTO

Quote:
    +1

3. SoupRKnowva

Quote:

it is about timing. differing the length of the cables will change the phase of the signal that reaches the drivers, and the entire point of the 3A is that you have perfect phase alignment across the frequency spectrum.

i would not use an aftermarket cable, without either sending the unit back for retuning, or sending JH the cable before they tuned it in the first place

4. thread
    You would think that if there was a tiny delay added with a longer cable, the fact that the leads are still all the same length would balance it out so it wouldn't matter. But that's not the case, according to JH.

Jerry was more specific when he mentioned it to me (particular boosts to some bit of frequency) but I just remember that a minor adjustment would be needed if the cable length was changed.

On an interesting and somewhat unrelated note, an adapter/cable solution for using the JH3A IEMs directly from a single ended source would be basically not possible. Jerry said that you would get about the performance of a dual-driver 'phone. =\

5. Trogdor

Quote:

I don't believe in cables as some do on this forum at all in terms of changing the sound signature, but this is different:  The JH3A is actively tuned for the EXACT phases measurements.  I will suspect that using TWAG or some aftermarket cable which changes both the length and medium would require *slight* adjustments - I actually doubt you will hear night and day differences between the stock cable and a TWAG (talk to Jerry he knows best!).

6. digihead
    It would be great if JH Audio and Whiplash would team up to offer the TWAG cable as an option so the JH3A could be tuned for the cable when you purchase it.

7. daveDerek Contributor
    if i'm not mistaken a twag cable will be available for the jh3a but i think that jha is not going to get into the aftermarket cable business as there may be other vendors who can supply alternate choices for recabling jha products (though i'm not so sure about the 3a).

8. Trogdor

Quote:

Sigh.

9. grokit
    I have read that different frequencies travel through wire at different speeds; I think it was the high frequencies that travel faster on the inner core of the wire, while the lower frequencies travel along the outside edges. If true, this would certainly add a wrinkle to the equation, which would also have to take into account the type and quality of the wire, it's cable geometry and design, as well as the type of metal used and it's relative purity. In the end, you find your number and multiply it by the cable length, but there is a lot involved in finding out that number and it would be different for every variety of cable; length would be the easy part.

10. jp11801 Contributor
    I'm sure an aftermarket cable will not upset the time space continuum, that said I do not think the twag does anything to improve the jh13s. Sadly I say this with one currently for sale. I have one and never use it.

11. Trogdor

Did you happen to catch what frequency rAnge? My understanding is you are talking about freq's way above human hearing.

12. SoupRKnowva

Quote:

yeah, hes talking about the skin effect, which causes high frequencies to only travel along the outside of a cable, which raises the resistance seen by the signal, but this happens pretty far outside the hearing range. But as far as i know the speeds arent different for different frequencies.

13. swifttal

Quote:

Here's a easily understandable powerpoint presentation that puts it into layman's terms    [​IMG][​IMG]

http://cseweb.ucsd.edu/classes/wi06/cse291-b/slide/let3/skineffect.ppt  

14. nc8000 Contributor

I think there is a clear improvement(change) going to TWag but I also went from single ended to balanced on the Protector at the same time so don't really know wich part did what

15. MuuMuu
    the protector noticeably widens sound stage.  Interconnects I got at the same time I got my HD650 protector cables did absolutely nothing, and was hence promptly returned (and replaced w/ monoprice cables).  The way I see it, if cables really made as big a difference as some people claim, hp/IEM manufacturers should have more than enough expertise and resources at hand to create their own uber-cable compared to the mom-and-pop operations people are going to today.

First

Back
78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87
89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98
Next

Last