JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Feb 5, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #9,063 of 10,743
I've got min back today after a tweek to shorten the left nozzle due toi my ear geometry. They fit fine before but the left was a slightly duller with the bores being a little too close to a bend. They fit and sound great now. I not longer hear extra bass on a short listen but I will give them a good once over after a few more hours on them. Right now, I couldn't really describe them as they've taken the character of sources used. So other than being neutral, focused and musical, it's all I've got. I'll get more critical later as nothing is perfect. It will be more about trying enough stuff on them to get a sense of their character. Are they worth the money? Yes. Are they cost effective for DAP use? Probably not and I knew that going in but screw it, I'm Happy!
ksc75smile.gif

Feb 7, 2013 at 2:29 AM Post #9,064 of 10,743
Quote:
I've got min back today after a tweek to shorten the left nozzle due toi my ear geometry. They fit fine before but the left was a slightly duller with the bores being a little too close to a bend. They fit and sound great now. I not longer hear extra bass on a short listen but I will give them a good once over after a few more hours on them. Right now, I couldn't really describe them as they've taken the character of sources used. So other than being neutral, focused and musical, it's all I've got. I'll get more critical later as nothing is perfect. It will be more about trying enough stuff on them to get a sense of their character. Are they worth the money? Yes. Are they cost effective for DAP use? Probably not and I knew that going in but screw it, I'm Happy!
ksc75smile.gif

How do they pair on your Studio V?

Feb 7, 2013 at 4:00 AM Post #9,066 of 10,743
Quote:
How do they pair on your Studio V?

So far, better than my other players but they actually seem less fussy about player, I suspect because they are rather evenly balanced and the new crossover is less demanding. Not too dark on a clip, not too lean on a touch, no treble issues on a 3rd Anniversary. They are slightly full at the bottom but it doesn't reach the mids and pretty non discript other than smooth and informative. They kinda sound like the player. Slightly warm and crisp up top without ever getting too agressive. A little laid back with btn off but I still prefer it because I like the better decay and slightly cleaner sound. I'll throw some wav files in it and get a better picture. I usually find them a bit snappier.

I haven't tried them with an amp lod etc yet. I really haven't listened that much yet. They did loosen up a bit after the first 24 hours of use. Subtle change but they were very slightly more constrained when fresh out of the box.

I wouldn't care for any more bass than these already have. I haven't yet determined if the very slight elevation is source or JH13 yet and they don't have enough time on them for that evaluation. ( Please, no BA breakin comments, thank you) They have great isolation as you'd expect and the midbass with this combo is spot on when walking down a city street. As is, it might be too low for optimum amplified stage use but not too high for studio mixing.

I was looking for something that was neutral to slightly elevated in the bottom for on the go and that seems to be what I got. I think the bass may be better connected than the original jh13 and the highs more refined.

I now have a rather shallow fit in both ears and they seal perfect and comfy, stay put and are easy to get in and out. I can not break the seal if I manipulate my jaw as I have never done other than to manipulate my jaw that way, LOL

To be honest, I don't know how good the finish is. I saw they seemed OK, stuck them in my ears and haven't given them the once over since. No custom work. I wanted a tool, not a piece of art to fawn over. I'll get some pics up with an update in the near future.

Feb 7, 2013 at 4:09 AM Post #9,067 of 10,743
lol I was after both a work of art and a euphoric/holistic sound that isn't fatiguing on long listening sessions. While at the same time doesn't stray too far from accuracy :). The 1Plus2s have me covered in the neutrality/ultimate in detail and balance :wink:. I figured I wanted a very different sound signature to complement what I have opposed to possibly getting a downgrade.

Feb 7, 2013 at 4:23 AM Post #9,070 of 10,743
Quote:
We mat also have different views of what that is. I think you may prefer it warmer than I do.

I can't really call them very warm. Maybe slightly. The bass quantity is a bit more than the EX1000 but not a whole lot more. I actually found the EX1000s to be somewhat bass light for what it is worth yet they had the best bass quality I've heard in any IEM (until recently). The 8A on the other hand most definitely will be quite warm :).

Feb 7, 2013 at 4:36 AM Post #9,072 of 10,743
Quote:
I was speaking more about your ie80s and upcoming 8As. Still anxious to hear the 1+2.

You'd be quite surprised on the IE80s goodvibes lol. Once modded with the tap mode and silver cable they are very balanced between the bass, treble and mids. I'd actually go as far as to call them mid centric IEMs. In a sense they were still laid back but not lacking in detail at all IMO. Just how they presented that detail. Personally I think they were the best all-arounder IEM in the $500+ range with those mods in place. After using it with that mod in place and going back to stock they sounded muddy and horrible in comparison lol :). Still I was spoiled by better gear so I just couldn't justify keeping them.... I look forward to your comparisons as well :).

Feb 9, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #9,073 of 10,743
The slight bass elevation is receding with burn in. I played them at moderate levels to start but did an overnight at about twice normal high levels. It really helped and I like where they're at. Close enough for rock and roll.
wink_face.gif
 They play easier at volume now and let go of energy better, so to speak. They were a bit tight and not quite as free as I wanted initially but I wasn't going to worry about it until I gave them more time and on more kit. I wondered if perhaps they were voiced on the Moon Audio cable that JH likes but now, even if they were, it would just be gravy on top. Still haven't tried an amp but the Anniversary 3 has plenty of juice. They're getting faster and easier about their job. Having doubled up drivers means they all work 1/2 as hard and probably needed a little more push to come around. Not too worried about over driving these considering their intended usage. I've heard it before so I'm convinced BAs break in. It's just faster and more subtle. I think they just needed a to be driven hard for a bit and any change will be small from here on out. I find myself listening to these at lower levels due to a combo of the clarity, isolation and dynamics.
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 10, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #9,074 of 10,743
Just thought I would post some pictures and comments on my new JH Audio JH 13 Pro (Freqphase) Custom IEMs.

I placed the order for these back in later November directly with JH Audio, taking advantage of their Thanksgiving weekend sale. My impressions arrived at their door on 10/12/12 and the IEMs arrived at my door on 15/01/13. I got the impressions done at Harley Street Hearing, London. This Audiologist is on JH Audio's list of recommended Audiologists in the UK.

My first attempts to get these things in my ears was a difficult and painful experience! There is quite a knack to inserting them. The learning curve continued for a couple of weeks while I persevered through considerable pain trying to master inserting and removing them.

I'm now at the point where I can insert and remove them gently and deftly enough so that once they're in they're comfortable to wear. They're a good, snug fit and I can't break the seal no matter what facial contortions I pull. Inserting and removing is unfortunately still painful though as they rub on the canal area when putting them in and taking them out. The more times I insert and remove, the worse the burning sensation gets. I've e-mailed JH audio for advice as I'm in a bit of quandary - once they're in all is well, it's just the insertion and removal process that's the problem. I use the 'twist and lock' method as shown in UE's useful YouTube video. I've been debating buying some ear lubricant as when my ears are a bit sweaty/greasy (pleasant I know!) insertion and removal is near pain free. The main cause of pain seems to be that once locked in, I have to press gently to slide the canal section fully in to the canal and this results in rubbing, which over time becomes very tender and burns. I've been perserving for some time in the hope my ears will 'toughen up' as I want to avoid a refit if possible. If anyone's got any advice on this particular issue I would be grateful.

They isolate very well, probably on a par with earplugs. This is great for flying, etc. Foot fall is a problem though, as is eating or if my heart's beating hard.

On to the sound. My previous IEMs where the Westone UM3X. I've been driving the JH 13's out of my iphone 4 headphone out, Google Nexus 7 headphone out and Fiio E17 DAC/Amp. All using FLAC. If there's one thing I've noticed about the JH 13s, it's how revealing they are of the source. The Nexus 7 has quite a lean, bass light sound, the Fiio E17 is fuller but muddier. The iphone 4 is the best of the three (by a small margin over the Fiio). I'm looking for a better Amp/DAC to drive the JH 13's as I sense they have more to offer than the sources I currently have available.

In comparison to the UM3X they're more neutral, transparent, extended at both ends and more detailed. I'm hearing a good deal more in the music, bass at levels lower than I've ever heard before and pin point treble. The soundstage is surprisingly wide for IEMs, probably better than many open over ear headphones I've heard. Instrument separation is also probably the best I've heard. As I mentioned, these IEMs are very neutral - I can't point point their particular character so far. If the source is full or lean then the JH 13s sound full or lean. If the recording is fantastic then the JH 13s sound fantastic. If the recording is crap then the JH 13s sound crap.

Click on the images for larger versions. The shells are translucent black.
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​

Feb 10, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #9,075 of 10,743
Quote:
Just thought I would post some pictures and comments on my new JH Audio JH 13 Pro (Freqphase) Custom IEMs.

I placed the order for these back in later November directly with JH Audio, taking advantage of their Thanksgiving weekend sale. My impressions arrived at their door on 10/12/12 and the IEMs arrived at my door on 15/01/13. I got the impressions done at Harley Street Hearing, London. This Audiologist is on JH Audio's list of recommended Audiologists in the UK.

My first attempts to get these things in my ears was a difficult and painful experience! There is quite a knack to inserting them. The learning curve continued for a couple of weeks while I persevered through considerable pain trying to master inserting and removing them.

I'm now at the point where I can insert and remove them gently and deftly enough so that once they're in they're comfortable to wear. They're a good, snug fit and I can't break the seal no matter what facial contortions I pull. Inserting and removing is unfortunately still painful though as they rub on the canal area when putting them in and taking them out. The more times I insert and remove, the worse the burning sensation gets. I've e-mailed JH audio for advice as I'm in a bit of quandary - once they're in all is well, it's just the insertion and removal process that's the problem. I use the 'twist and lock' method as shown in UE's useful YouTube video. I've been debating buying some ear lubricant as when my ears are a bit sweaty/greasy (pleasant I know!) insertion and removal is near pain free. The main cause of pain seems to be that once locked in, I have to press gently to slide the canal section fully in to the canal and this results in rubbing, which over time becomes very tender and burns. I've been perserving for some time in the hope my ears will 'toughen up' as I want to avoid a refit if possible. If anyone's got any advice on this particular issue I would be grateful.

They isolate very well, probably on a par with earplugs. This is great for flying, etc. Foot fall is a problem though, as is eating or if my heart's beating hard.

On to the sound. My previous IEMs where the Westone UM3X. I've been driving the JH 13's out of my iphone 4 headphone out, Google Nexus 7 headphone out and Fiio E17 DAC/Amp. All using FLAC. If there's one thing I've noticed about the JH 13s, it's how revealing they are of the source. The Nexus 7 has quite a lean, bass light sound, the Fiio E17 is fuller but muddier. The iphone 4 is the best of the three (by a small margin over the Fiio). I'm looking for a better Amp/DAC to drive the JH 13's as I sense they have more to offer than the sources I currently have available.

In comparison to the UM3X they're more neutral, transparent, extended at both ends and more detailed. I'm hearing a good deal more in the music, bass at levels lower than I've ever heard before and pin point treble. The soundstage is surprisingly wide for IEMs, probably better than many open over ear headphones I've heard. Instrument separation is also probably the best I've heard. As I mentioned, these IEMs are very neutral - I can't point point their particular character so far. If the source is full or lean then the JH 13s sound full or lean. If the recording is fantastic then the JH 13s sound fantastic. If the recording is crap then the JH 13s sound crap.

Click on the images for larger versions. The shells are translucent black.

I know some may find this gross...but have you maybe tried licking the earpieces before putting them in? a tad bit of saliva would probably lubricate the insertion as well as anything you could buy to do the job. and youd always have it with you :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back