[Impression] FiiO E10
Apr 17, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #1,126 of 1,324
Im having a bit of an issue with my E10 - it's been reported before but I think there's something I'm missing here.

I have a early version of the E10 .. bought in nov 11. If I go through the sample rate / bit options I hear a certain BUZZ in the headphones. However if I choose 24/96 or 16/96 nothing is heard. So you might think : why not leave it on 24/96 and call it a day? Well I am in a period when I test some speakers I recently got and I kept trying it out with either my sound card ( a pretty old but still awesome Hercules Fortissimo IV - envy24 ) or the Fiio. So I installed ASIO4ALL and WASAPI on foobar trying to squeeze as much quality as possible from the little FIIO. When the output is set to either Wasapi or ASIO I get the buzzing noise no matter what sample/bitrate I try. I have also installed the FIIO ASIO Driver, thinking it might  help.

However, if I use ASIO4ALL as output when a song is played the buzzing stops but it's pretty obvious between tracks. I usually have mostly FLACs 16/44.1  and some 320kbps mp3s. It's the same with either type of files. If I use WASAPI - the buzzing is present all the time, it doesn't matter if a song is playing or not.

The headphones I am using are AKG K550 and very rare the Brainwavz ProAlpha IEMs which make the buzzin even more obvious. The Gain on the Fiio if off and the volume I use it on is at about half ( 5 out of 8 ).

This is very annoying, if nothing is playing I hear it - what's funny is that if I double click a folder it's gone. Then comes up if I open winamp for example or if I double click a song on foobar it starts again for 1-2 sec till the song starts and then shuts up again. If I stop the song or it reaches the end it's back on. And then I do the double click in windows explorer so it's gone again. So it seems that it's triggered on and off by a certain type of song that is played ( when I open a folder the windows plays a short click sound ).

Is my unit defective? What's important is that it's not audible WHEN a song is played but that is only true if ASIO4ALL is used. If Wasapi is used it's there all the time. I also have a pretty new Sony Vaio F2 series laptop and it does the exact same thing on it too so it's not a computer issue for sure.

But if I use DS output - there are no problems , unless I screw up into the sample/bit options.

Can you guys please do a little test and see if your FIIO copy does the buzzing when changing through sample/bit options for starters? It could help to have the volume a bit higher as maybe your headphones are not sensible enough.

Thanks

Apr 17, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #1,127 of 1,324
Im having a bit of an issue with my E10 - it's been reported before but I think there's something I'm missing here.

I have a early version of the E10 .. bought in nov 11. If I go through the sample rate / bit options I hear a certain BUZZ in the headphones. However if I choose 24/96 or 16/96 nothing is heard. So you might think : why not leave it on 24/96 and call it a day? Well I am in a period when I test some speakers I recently got and I kept trying it out with either my sound card ( a pretty old but still awesome Hercules Fortissimo IV - envy24 ) or the Fiio. So I installed ASIO4ALL and WASAPI on foobar trying to squeeze as much quality as possible from the little FIIO. When the output is set to either Wasapi or ASIO I get the buzzing noise no matter what sample/bitrate I try. I have also installed the FIIO ASIO Driver, thinking it might  help.

However, if I use ASIO4ALL as output when a song is played the buzzing stops but it's pretty obvious between tracks. I usually have mostly FLACs 16/44.1  and some 320kbps mp3s. It's the same with either type of files. If I use WASAPI - the buzzing is present all the time, it doesn't matter if a song is playing or not.

The headphones I am using are AKG K550 and very rare the Brainwavz ProAlpha IEMs which make the buzzin even more obvious. The Gain on the Fiio if off and the volume I use it on is at about half ( 5 out of 8 ).

This is very annoying, if nothing is playing I hear it - what's funny is that if I double click a folder it's gone. Then comes up if I open winamp for example or if I double click a song on foobar it starts again for 1-2 sec till the song starts and then shuts up again. If I stop the song or it reaches the end it's back on. And then I do the double click in windows explorer so it's gone again. So it seems that it's triggered on and off by a certain type of song that is played ( when I open a folder the windows plays a short click sound ).

Is my unit defective? What's important is that it's not audible WHEN a song is played but that is only true if ASIO4ALL is used. If Wasapi is used it's there all the time. I also have a pretty new Sony Vaio F2 series laptop and it does the exact same thing on it too so it's not a computer issue for sure.

But if I use DS output - there are no problems , unless I screw up into the sample/bit options.

Can you guys please do a little test and see if your FIIO copy does the buzzing when changing through sample/bit options for starters? It could help to have the volume a bit higher as maybe your headphones are not sensible enough.

Thanks

I think your usb ports might be going to sleep / power down by Windows. try changing that setting and see if that fixes anything. Someone else had the same issue I think so try searching the thread. cheers

Apr 23, 2013 at 5:58 AM Post #1,129 of 1,324
@MrEleventy - I think that someone might have been me ( in 2011 when I got it ) :))
The problem occurs on 3 computers I tested it on so it's not a PC hardware issue.
I wrote to Fiio - they said the E10 is out of warranty ( purchased it in nov 2011 ). However their ASIO driver was out in 2013 so no way for me to realize the problem with ASIO output BEFORE my warranty expired because there was no way of testing it up until nov 2012.
Let's see what they answer.

Apr 23, 2013 at 7:25 AM Post #1,130 of 1,324
@MrEleventy - I think that someone might have been me ( in 2011 when I got it ) :))

The problem occurs on 3 computers I tested it on so it's not a PC hardware issue.

I wrote to Fiio - they said the E10 is out of warranty ( purchased it in nov 2011 ). However their ASIO driver was out in 2013 so no way for me to realize the problem with ASIO output BEFORE my warranty expired because there was no way of testing it up until nov 2012.

Let's see what they answer.

Ahh, I c. that sucks then. hopefully things get resolved. gl :)

e: hmm, just re-read your issues. are you using just the usb cable that they supplied? I don't remember whether it was ferrited or not but if it's not, I would give that a try and pick up a ferrited cable.

Apr 23, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #1,133 of 1,324
Can anyone who has experience with both the E10 and E07K draw any comparisons in terms of power and sonics?

Apr 23, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #1,134 of 1,324
sound should be close to the e17, so I would find a e10 vs e17 and scale back expectations from there. from my memory of e10 to e17, e17 is more neutral. I think soundstage is wider too but can't say for sure, no longer own the e10.

May 2, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #1,135 of 1,324
I have the E10 and I am loving it, especially the bass boost function.  I'm planning on upgrading to a better amp in the future but I don't know if you can still use the bass boost through the line out or optical out.  Does anyone know if either of those will pass on the boosted bass signal or not?

Thanks!

May 20, 2013 at 4:10 AM Post #1,137 of 1,324
Just a question: how do you set up your volumes correctly?

I've been using like this:
- Adjust my volume knob on value 7 and set it low gain
- Then use my computer to control the volume

Is this the right way? or do I do it other way around (something like setting your volume on desktop to 90% and use volume knob on E10 to control)?

May 20, 2013 at 4:56 AM Post #1,138 of 1,324
The theoretical best way is windows volume on 100% and using wasapi/asio to bypass all windows factors and using the knob on the fiio for adjustment. It's not likely audible unless you put windows volume on 1% or something
But to me it all comes down to which is the most practical. I prefer turning a knob then having to adjust that small meter on your screen.

May 20, 2013 at 5:05 AM Post #1,139 of 1,324
Quote:
The theoretical best way is windows volume on 100% and using wasapi/asio to bypass all windows factors and using the knob on the fiio for adjustment. It's not likely audible unless you put windows volume on 1% or something
But to me it all comes down to which is the most practical. I prefer turning a knob then having to adjust that small meter on your screen.

Wouldn't bypassing only works for audio players? not universally like when gaming, browsing or doing normal stuff on desktop.

But if it all comes down to practical, I guess I'll stick with what I'm doing atm. I have a volume control wheel on my keyboard so that is why I'm using the desktop volume to control the sound.
Just one more thing, for my case what is the best position to place knob on my E10? or would it matter either way?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back